Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

FreightDogs 02-15-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2528573)
You have HB positions for the 99 too?

Yep, here's a link to it: Home Based Captain Cargo Pilot - Careers At Ameriflight, LLC

FreightDogs 02-15-2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mdiepenbroek (Post 2529004)
Hello. I'm thinking of applying at the end of summer and I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.

1. How easy is it to get a PDX base out of training and when in the application/training process do you get assigned a base?
2. I will most likely meet the 1200 hr captain minimums by the time I apply. If I've had no 135 experience, is it likely that I will get an SIC position first? I think this would be preferable so I could learn the ropes first.
3. If I wanted to start training around September/October-ish, when would be a good time to apply?

Thank you. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Hi, there!

1. It's relatively easy to get PDX. If you look at our careers site, you'll see what's currently open for PDX. Those positions have already been looked over by our current pilots, so it's up for grabs on a first come first serve basis.
2. If you are at 1,200TT, you'll be placed in the BE99 as a Captain. (Of course, this is only as long as your ME, XC, Night, PIC, and Instrument are at our 99 Captain mins, as well.)
3. Your interview is only good for six months, so sometime within that time frame. But I'd say if you are shooting for September, apply at the end of July or the beginning of August.

Also, here's the full list of time mins for our BE99 Captain positions: 1,200 TT, 150 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument
Not all of those numbers are hard, so if you can compensate for a spot you are low on, you'll still be able to get a spot.

Hope that helps!

frmrbuffdrvr 02-15-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mdiepenbroek (Post 2529004)
Hello. I'm thinking of applying at the end of summer and I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.

1. How easy is it to get a PDX base out of training and when in the application/training process do you get assigned a base?
2. I will most likely meet the 1200 hr captain minimums by the time I apply. If I've had no 135 experience, is it likely that I will get an SIC position first? I think this would be preferable so I could learn the ropes first.
3. If I wanted to start training around September/October-ish, when would be a good time to apply?

Thank you. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Except for the E120 that requires a first officer, the only reason we hire into the right seat is to give a pilot a way to reach part 135 required times for IFR captain. So if you are at or just past 135 numbers (1200TT, 500 CC, 100 night, 75 instrument) you will go straight to the left seat of a BE99. Don't worry about not having flown 135 before. We work with you during training to get you up to speed on 135 requirements. And we have all sorts of folks available (training captains, chief pilots, etc) available 24/7 to answer any questions and keep you safe and on track.

dera 02-15-2018 11:47 AM

What would the projected career path be for someone with 135 IFR mins, but only 15 ME time?

mdiepenbroek 02-15-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2529127)
Hi, there!

1. It's relatively easy to get PDX. If you look at our careers site, you'll see what's currently open for PDX. Those positions have already been looked over by our current pilots, so it's up for grabs on a first come first serve basis.
2. If you are at 1,200TT, you'll be placed in the BE99 as a Captain. (Of course, this is only as long as your ME, XC, Night, PIC, and Instrument are at our 99 Captain mins, as well.)
3. Your interview is only good for six months, so sometime within that time frame. But I'd say if you are shooting for September, apply at the end of July or the beginning of August.

Also, here's the full list of time mins for our BE99 Captain positions: 1,200 TT, 150 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument
Not all of those numbers are hard, so if you can compensate for a spot you are low on, you'll still be able to get a spot.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your quick response! The only hours I might be short on would be the night hours, but I'll be trying my best to get them in before the end of summer. I'm currently at 65 but don't do much night flying at my job. That's good to know those hours aren't strict though!

mdiepenbroek 02-15-2018 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2529227)
Except for the E120 that requires a first officer, the only reason we hire into the right seat is to give a pilot a way to reach part 135 required times for IFR captain. So if you are at or just past 135 numbers (1200TT, 500 CC, 100 night, 75 instrument) you will go straight to the left seat of a BE99. Don't worry about not having flown 135 before. We work with you during training to get you up to speed on 135 requirements. And we have all sorts of folks available (training captains, chief pilots, etc) available 24/7 to answer any questions and keep you safe and on track.

Great, thank you! I just know it'd be a big change from my current job but that's reassuring.

ZippyNH 02-16-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by mdiepenbroek (Post 2529445)
Great, thank you! I just know it'd be a big change from my current job but that's reassuring.

Compared to many 135 jobs where the Pilot is alone, doing all the planning, AMF is more if a hybrid with some 121 like policies and procedures.
Dispatch does most of the flight planning, with the pilot using a "canned" flight plan or one dispatch files one off for non-regular flights.
Sure, you do need to know your stuff, but the company is big enough that there is almost always somebody around to ask when a situation occurs that you are not sure of...
A very different situation than when I jumped started dabbling in 135 in 1997, and my first full time 135 job in 1999, when it was a "sink or swim" situation.
Yes, the training period is a bit longer than the normal 135 jobs at AMERIFLIGHT, but it is largely to ensure you are safe and confident when you are suddenly alone in a turbo-prop, at night, possibly in ice.
Yes, the lifestyle of 135 is a bit different than airline jobs, but I enjoy the time off, including most weekends. I also enjoy not having to eat most of my meals in a airport fast food restaurant while random people stare at you in uniform....
Yes, many folks on these forums want that lifestyle, but IMO CARGO can provide a very good quality of life that many people just don't consider.
Good luck with you choice...I always thought I would fly passangers but then stumbled into 135 cargo and 91k and can say I am happy.

frmrbuffdrvr 02-16-2018 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mdiepenbroek (Post 2529442)
Thank you for your quick response! The only hours I might be short on would be the night hours, but I'll be trying my best to get them in before the end of summer. I'm currently at 65 but don't do much night flying at my job. That's good to know those hours aren't strict though!

The TT, CC, Night and Instrument are hard figures for IFR captains as those are specified by the FARs. But we can work with that with our First Officer program. Talk with our recruiters about where you are.

mdiepenbroek 02-16-2018 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 2530233)
Compared to many 135 jobs where the Pilot is alone, doing all the planning, AMF is more if a hybrid with some 121 like policies and procedures.
Dispatch does most of the flight planning, with the pilot using a "canned" flight plan or one dispatch files one off for non-regular flights.
Sure, you do need to know your stuff, but the company is big enough that there is almost always somebody around to ask when a situation occurs that you are not sure of...
A very different situation than when I jumped started dabbling in 135 in 1997, and my first full time 135 job in 1999, when it was a "sink or swim" situation.
Yes, the training period is a bit longer than the normal 135 jobs at AMERIFLIGHT, but it is largely to ensure you are safe and confident when you are suddenly alone in a turbo-prop, at night, possibly in ice.
Yes, the lifestyle of 135 is a bit different than airline jobs, but I enjoy the time off, including most weekends. I also enjoy not having to eat most of my meals in a airport fast food restaurant while random people stare at you in uniform....
Yes, many folks on these forums want that lifestyle, but IMO CARGO can provide a very good quality of life that many people just don't consider.
Good luck with you choice...I always thought I would fly passangers but then stumbled into 135 cargo and 91k and can say I am happy.

I have been leaning towards cargo ever since I started flying. Also, Ameriflight awarded me a scholarship during college so they have been my number one choice for a few years. I think the schedule would suit me better as well. Definitely looking forward to applying later this year! Thanks for the info.

mdiepenbroek 02-16-2018 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2530477)
The TT, CC, Night and Instrument are hard figures for IFR captains as those are specified by the FARs. But we can work with that with our First Officer program. Talk with our recruiters about where you are.

Good to know! Thank you. I'll definitely be working on squeezing in those night hours when I can. I'm currently doing aerial survey and my contract will be up some time in the summer so I will definitely contact recruiters closer to that point, unless you advise it's better to do it sooner.