Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

caravan stability

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:15 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
In a maximum power climb, Cessna must be able to trim the elevator to obtain certain speeds for certification. The VGs allowed Cessna to trim the elevator/plane to the required speed for certification in a high powered climb.
This statement needs some clarification to be authoritative. Caravan certification was undertaken almost 25 years ago and as stated before, the data obtained during flight testing is unavailable and possibly confidential. It is most likely located at Kansas City FAA. The Freedom of Information Act could possibly be used to obtain it.

As for the following, can you clarify where it was obtained? If it is from 208-675 or one of the other 208 operating handbooks I am away from those documents at present:
Uncommanded Nose Up Pitch
Add Power if not already added
Relax Back Pressure or Push forward on the Yoke
Extend Flaps if needed in icing on the Caravan 10° Flaps is needed
Izakplt: thanks! That is a great video and I found it very interesting. It doesn't have much to do with Caravan, however. In the latest crash the aircraft was in climb mode with maximum 20 degrees flaps per POH, and was recently de-iced according to eyewitnesses. Furthermore, the mode of flight of the Ohio aircraft was that of flap retraction rather than flap deployment, although airspeed may or may not have been increasing. In contrast, the NASA video concentrates on elevator-induced tailstalls applicable to maximum flap extension at high power settings and airspeeds found at full flap deployment such as on approach. It also concentrates the most likely segment of flight to produce heavy icing, which is cruise or the last segment of flight. The aircraft in the video had large artificial ice accumulations, very different from those of an aircraft in climb mode.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 01-05-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007

You can draw your own conclusions. 185flier is wrong, Izakplt is his buddy along with Beech,

I got the:
Uncommanded Nose Up Pitch - does not exist
Add Power if not already added - from NASA video - normal stall
Relax Back Pressure or Push forward on the Yoke - from NASA video - normal stall
Extend Flaps if needed in icing on the Caravan 10° Flaps is need - Caravan POH if in icing conditions and airspeed is below 110KIAS from 208B/675 book, S1 supplement of POH; that is a limitation of the airplane.

Last edited by Amigo; 01-05-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Master and Commander of Pipers and Cessnas

In a maximum power climb, Cessna must be able to trim the elevator to obtain certain speeds for certification. The VG's allowed Cessna to trim the elevator/plane to the required speed for certification in a high powered climb.

Uncommanded Nose Up Pitch
Add Power if not already added
Relax Back Pressure or Push forward on the Yoke
Extend Flaps if needed in icing on the Caravan 10° Flaps is needed

This above procedure is just like recovering from a Wing Stall.

What do you have?
I will keep having this discussion with you for a while if you want. First we need to be on the same page about the terms we're using. I'm defining an uncommanded nose up as one which occurs without pilot input to the primary flight controls, ie no one pulled back on the yoke. Are you still calling a normal wing stall an uncommanded nose up? Perhaps you mean unintended nose up. Please clarify.

If a wing stall occurred in a plane while removing flaps, you would know it in part because an uncommanded nose down, and I basically agree with your recovery technique listed above. This line needs a little clarification, grammar and punctuation would be a start:

"Extend Flaps if needed in icing on the Caravan 10° Flaps is needed"

If airflow separation occurred over the tail while removing flaps, you would know it because an uncommanded nose up would occur (this time no wing buffet), and I basically agree with your recovery technique listed above. All I would change is the last line. It would read: Redeploy flaps to the setting they were at prior to uncommanded nose up.

Yes NASA never told pilots about traditionally configured planes having lifting tails. Yes, pretty much no one else has either. If that is argument enough for you to disbelieve what I'm asserting, fine. I'd be glad to be corrected if I'm in error here. Why is it you refuse to reproduce the portions of Dr Kohlman's testimony in which you assert he reports that the 208 tail up load only happens in extreme turbulence and unusual flight conditions?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

As far as the trim thing goes, you will have to take my word on for that, I wouldn't produce that report if I could and I can't anyway. It's a Cessna document that is not for public use. You wanted to know and that is it.
I work for PenAir. Who do you work for?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: pilot

sorry amigo i don't take your word for it

cessna now says extend the flaps if needed in icing to put a download on the stab
they know it can carry ice with a downloaded stab but if it has an upload it will fall out of the sky
Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Line Holder

Regarding your first paragraph on uncommanded pitch up terms, I agree with your term. What airplane has that in their POH that you personally know of? I am typed in quite a few aircraft and have flown a lot of other aircraft and I never ever seen a procedure for an uncommanded nose pitch up. Why would the Caravan have one? Provide basis for that.

Airflow will not separate from the tail if it did it would pitch nose over, since you work for PenAir then that completes my assumptions of all four of you.

Cubdriver - stay away from these guys, You see they were acting like they really didn't know each other then they all work for 185flier. They get on these forums to start this tail upload stuff and try to pass it off as a possibility and then try to sale this to whoever will listen and hopefully not jury members in court cases or whatever their agenda is. They may be making money from a couple of high powered lawyers to keep this crap alive so when they go to court they have this crap out on the internet.

Very sad, you all ought to sell the vans and by Kodiaks and take your upload with you. Damn I have to admit you mothers played me.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Line Holder

185flier See me in Fairbanks, I work for an operator that you don't need to know. I hope all of you show.

Just fly the van per the POH put your co-pilots back in the plane, letting them go after your trial was over that was real good. Sure nade a good impression didn't it?

The flaps keep the deck angle down as you know and nothing else.

Didn't you think that if your pilot in 2001 would have thought to turn on the pitot heat his airspeed would have read normal and everything would have been fine. You say the airplane needs more speed that's because your pilot messed up that day you got sued and lost and Cessna got sued and won, WOW imagine that. 12 people in Alaska have some common sense and were not even pilots, wish I could say the same for you and the 3 Amigos that you have with you.

The plane only does what it's told and that day it was told wrong, you know it, the FAA knew it, the NTSB knew it, and to top it off, the plaintiffs lawyer admitted it in the court room, No wonder you all go to this extreme, I would be embarrassed as you are if that happened to me, was not the planes fault but you really already know that.

You and Your little crowd, are you all in the same room, you are aren't you??? It all fits when I reviewed all of your posts now, Fits like a glove, but not like OJ's. Wow, you all are little crappers really, I'm really ticked, Now comes the fun...

Last edited by Amigo; 01-05-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I have provided all the basis I have for thinking the tail is up loaded. Rather than wasting your time composing posts telling me I'm wrong, lets see the transcripts you aluded to. That would significantly help your case.

Mislead? What in the world are you talking about? If my employment was a secret, I wouldn't have told you. I don't know about you (please enlighten us), but the only agenda I have is to have a conversation about a topic in which I'm interested.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Line Holder

Amigo =
Old 01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: pilot

pm me and tell me who you are and i would definatly meet you

Last edited by 185flier; 01-06-2008 at 04:41 PM.