Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Caravan Initial

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Default Caravan Initial

Hey all-
I am a full time pipeline patrol pilot and would like to fly Caravans at some point in the future. For all you "Van" folks out there, would I be more employable if I paid for the 5 day initial myself and show up with it in hand, or let my prospective employer foot the expense??
Thanks, Paul
Old 12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
New Hire

Default ??

Any thoughts?
Paul
Old 12-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007

If you have the qualification's to get the job without spending your own cash, why would you? If you were under qualified, a few hours training in type will not change that, imo.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:18 PM
New Hire

Default Thanks

I have all the qualifications and more. Just no "Van" time.
I have no aspirations, nor the the desire to use the Caravan as a stepping stone to the regionals or any other flying job for that matter. I really enjoy flying single pilot. Although I have become somewhat of a hermit, I'm happy.
Thank you for responding. BTW, your opinion echoes my thoughts.
Take care- Paul
Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35

I almost did exactly what you are thinking about doing. I was prepared to drop about 7 grand to go through my Caravan initial so I might have a better chance with someone like MartinAir. I ended up getting on with AirNet instead. They put me through initial and checked me out in the Baron, then I bid to a Reserve pilot spot and ended up not only being sent to Caravan initial on their dime, but also checked in the Piper Navajo. Triple qualified, and there were many nights that I'd fly two of the three... and one night I did fly all three! I ended up with over three hundred hours in the 'Van over about a year and a half. Great airplane!! But... I'll never fly one again anywhere there's even a hint of ice. NEVER! Those two winters in the 'Van took about 5 years off my life!

My personal opinion... save your money. If you really want to fly the Caravan there are jobs out there... and they usually want to train you to their standards anyway. Try MartinAir at ADS in the Dallas area, AirNet at LCK in Columbus, Ohio or even Pacific Wings out in Maui, Hawaii. Slim chance of ever seeing any ice out there!!

Paul... by the way... is that a Tropic Air caravan in your avitar? I talked to their chief pilot a few years back... they wanted 1500TT with an ATP rating to get on with them flying around Belize. Looked like a sweet job!!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 PM
New Hire

Hey, good catch!!
I'm in Kauai on vacation as I write this. I really enjoy my current gig in Oklahoma and it pays better than any regional insofar as I know, but I'm looking toward the future and want my "ducks in a row" so to speak.
Thank you for your advICE.
Stay safe, Paul
Old 12-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

For a caravan, I would not spend the money. Honestly it's just a Big 206/182 anyways. Most places will self-train in something of that nature.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: A320/321 FO

Hey Paul, check out Tradewind Aviation. You could get a taste of island flying down in the Caribbean during the Winter, and NE flying up in New England during the Summer. If you have enough time to be hired as a "Street Captain," I believe they pay $35,000 to start as a Captain on the Van.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: SEL & MEL, L & R

Hey Paul
Wiggins sent me to school last week for Caravan. Good training & interestingly enough they're a employee owned company