Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Airnet Interview... Should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007

From the Airnet Work With Us FAQ section.....

Logging SIC/PIC time: here's how In addition to hiring pilot in command (PIC) qualified pilots, AirNet Systems, Inc. offers a program by which pilots serve as first officers (FOs) on light, twin-engine, piston-powered aircraft operating under 14 CFR 135. Candidates for this particular program have less than 1,200 hours total flight time and/or less than certain categories of flight time such as cross country. As noted in 14 CFR 135.243(c), 1,200 hours total flight time, is the minimum total time a pilot must have to be assigned as pilot in command in IFR conditions while operating under 14 CFR 135. In the same regulation, minimums also are established for cross country, night, and instrument flight time. No minimum PIC time is specified. The minimum grade of pilot certificate for PIC or second in command (SIC) is Commercial. AirNet’s first officer program allows pilots to build their flight time to 1,200 hours and/or to meet the minimums established for the categories mentioned above.
Here is how a pilot utilizes the flight time accrued in AirNet’s program: 14 CFR 135 subparts G and H establish the requirements for testing and training of flight crew members in each type of aircraft to which they are assigned to duty by an air carrier operating under 14 CFR 135. For a flight crew member to be assigned duty, the air carrier and the pilot must comply with all requirements. This, of course, allows the pilot to be on board the aircraft as a flight crew member.
Since the pilot can now legally be a flight crew member, the pilot also can manipulate the aircraft’s flight controls. How a pilot logs the flight time is found in 14 CFR 61.51(e)1. If a pilot assigned as SIC manipulates the flight controls of an aircraft in which that pilot is rated, that pilot may log the time as PIC. This does NOT change who is assigned as pilot in command. Operations conducted under 14 CFR 135 can have only ONE assigned PIC, regardless of who is manipulating the flight controls. The assigned PIC must be assigned in writing and remains the pilot in command throughout the flight. Therefore, when the SIC manipulates the flight controls, that pilot may log PIC flight time. The only time the second in command can log SIC flight time is while that person is serving as second in command on an aircraft requiring more than one pilot by its type certificate, or when required by the regulations under which the flight is conducted. Obviously, AirNet’s light piston twins do not require more than one pilot by the type certificates, however, there are conditions under 14 CFR 135 operations which do require two pilots regardless of the aircraft type. Examples include takeoffs below 1,800 RVR, carrying passengers in IFR conditions without an autopilot, and whenever the flight crew is being assigned to more than eight hours of flight time. In most cases, even these requirements do not apply to operations at AirNet, therefore, the SIC logs pilot in command time while being the sole manipulator of the flight controls and logs total time only, when not manipulating the flight controls.
This program and method of logging flight time is supported not only by Federal Aviation Regulations, but also by legal interpretations. Keep in mind, however, that as pilots move through their careers and apply for other jobs, certain organizations may require specific conditions of pilot in command time. One major airline, for example, has very specific instructions on its application that state pilot in command time is ONLY the time for which you were responsible for or in charge of the aircraft, not merely sole manipulator of the flight controls.In summary, there is a difference between who is assigned as pilot in command and who may be manipulating the flight controls and logging PIC time. At times, both pilots may be logging PIC time because one is the assigned pilot in command (acting PIC as provided in 14 CFR 61.51(e)1(iii)) and the other may be manipulating the flight controls but assigned as second in command.
In most cases at AirNet, an assigned SIC is either logging the time as pilot in command when he or she is the sole manipulator of the flight controls, logging the flight time as total time only when not manipulating the flight controls, or as SIC if required to be there either by the aircraft type certificate or by the regulations under which the operations are conducted.
Pilots who still have questions about how the AirNet second in command program works may contact us at (877) 247-6386.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Same at Ameriflight. You can have an SIC on those flights.

It is definitely not logged as dual given. The SIC would log it as both TT and SIC, since that is what it is.

I think any time you are logging TT you should be filling in either PIC/SIC.

I have never been a FE, so not sure if that is how they log it.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

I understand all of the post above from the AirNet FAQ, and in the end it comes down to how a person wants to log the time as long at it is legal to do so. In AirNet's case, it states that if you are qualified in type then you can log it as PIC even without having the PIC authority (e.g. signed for the aircraft).
In my particular case, and newly minted into the P135 world, I have decided to only log SIC and TT although I am typed and do 90% of the flying. Since I have logged my prior time as PIC only when I signed for the aircraft, this will be easy for me to keep straight in the future. In this case - conservative will keep everything clear.
If PIC time is holding you back then it seems that AirNet's advice above would be the ideal way to build time for most other operators and the quicker you can get upgraded to PIC, then the quicker you can begin logging PIC that *everyone* will accept!

USMCFLYR
Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Line Holder

Position: Left seat...of my Jeep

wow...are you guy that bored???? Bring back 3 year old threads!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jeepthrills View Post
wow...are you guy that bored???? Bring back 3 year old threads!
In his defense, since the question seems to be asked twice a week, maybe it is a worthwhile refresher.

USMCFLYR
Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Does NOT get weekends off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145

But then again, Airnet has all but done away with their SIC program
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

The logging of flight time was my point, though I didn't know that Airnet had cancel this program.

USMCFLYR
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Fixed wing, left

Hey MT, whats this I hear about ambulance flights?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Default contacted by airnet

The program is still up and running. Will White wrote me this morning advising me to update my resume.
Pete
Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Jeez, looks like this thread is a survivor. Apparently I am also the one who revived it after the 3 years! Sometimes when I do a search or see a thread at the bottom that is related to something I'm talking about it, I read and respond without ever checking the date.

Sorry guys =)