Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

On-Call Is Not Rest

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by detpilot View Post
Very interesting discussion. Can this problem be fixed from within the FAA- As in, some of us get jobs as Inspectors, and focus on violating companies as opposed to pilots? Or at least, in addition to the pilots? What I've got from this conversation is the only way for me to help (aside from standing my ground as a pilot, and calling the FAA) is to get a job at the FAA, and try to make a change from there. And I get the feeling that your fellow FAA inspectors won't like that too much, seeing as to how they have overlooked this for years.
You're going to get a cushy government job and then give yourself more paperwork?

I think that's part of the problem. Understaffed. Easier to look the other way than do the paperwork.

-mini
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Trying not to crash

But they don't mind doing the paperwork to violate pilots...
Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

But they don't mind doing the paperwork to violate pilots...
My guess is it's just more paperwork to go after a certificate holder. You'd have to convince the POI, probably.

-mini
Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Wow this thread just keeps getting deeper. I still go back to the CYA and KISS methods of life. I don't care who you are, who you are flying for, etc.. I bet every single one of you have done some "illegal" flying either knowingly or completely ignorant of the fact.

I think the real key to this topic is to spread the word, help educate others, and share operational experience. Deep down, we all know that the "on-call" is a very sensitive term in the 135 world, because it's the way the business is done for the most part. Just don't be a schlup about it, figure out a way to make it work in your operation so it will meet the definition.

Fly safe
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Hi!

I don't know of any specific companies that are -91 and flying -135, but I know that a lot of them still are, and often the FAA Regional Offices and/or the FSDOs and/or local FSDO personnel know about it and do nothing.

I have also read about guys that call this stuff in to the FAA HQ, and nothing is done for months and months and months.

Not very nice!

cliff
GRB
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: 320 F.O.

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by PW305 View Post
...Are you guys sucking oxygen above FL350 too? Try that on a 5 hour flight. Regs are regs...
Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
...I bet every single one of you have done some "illegal" flying either knowingly or completely ignorant of the fact...
Whether or not you wear a mask or follow some other insignificant reg does not affect the pilot population as a group. If I am flying with you, I can choose to wear my mask if you don't. If I am a pax, I can choose not to ride with you.

When you choose to violate the law by working through a rest period and/or operating a flight without adequate rest, you put pressure on every other pilot whether they fly with you or not. The more pilots like you a certificate holder has, the more profit he puts in his pocket and the lower his rates get. Now his competitors have to push their pilots to break the law too in order to remain competitive. More pilots now have to choose between safe and legal operation, and a potential termination or lay-off (fewer positions due to reduced staffing levels). And so the cancer spreads.

Such a dilemma does not apply to the O2 situation. If I am a pilot who wishes to operate in a safe and legal manner while still remaining competitive, then I must educate you or come up with some other scheme to ensure that I do not have to make such a choice. If there is some other commonly violated reg that you feel affects you in a similar way, then I hope you will feel free to educate me (in another thread, please).

...What I've got from this conversation is the only way for me to help (aside from standing my ground as a pilot, and calling the FAA) is to get a job at the FAA...
Spreading the word is probably the best thing you can do. Eventually every pilot is going to have a bad day, get fed-up, and use this. Certificate holders will ultimately have to staff or schedule appropriately in order to maintain reliability.