Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Amflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

If your interview is at Skymates then I can tell you that you have nothing to worry about. You will do a sim ride in a half broken sim. I think the screen was out and it would restart every 10 mins. They might have fixed it. I think it was configured as a baron. The technical part was a few questions on Jep Low enroutes and then we went into multi engine stuff. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: I only fly multi-winged airplanes.
Default Charts

Is there any particular reason why Ameriflight uses Jep charts and not NOS? Do pilots have to pay for charts or does the company provide them? Also, if you get hired directly into the Bro do you upgrade directly into the Bro?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Trying not to crash

I thought everyone except the military used Jepps. I only use nos charts when going to a state that my company doesn't provide jepp charts for.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

At my last job as an air ambulance pilot they issued us NOS...it's cheaper and after 56 days you just throw away the book and get a whole new one. You dont have to worry about a specific plate. I actually prefer NOS to JEP. Jep is known for their airline friendly format and basically has the approach briefing at the top of the plate.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
Is there any particular reason why Ameriflight uses Jep charts and not NOS? Do pilots have to pay for charts or does the company provide them? Also, if you get hired directly into the Bro do you upgrade directly into the Bro?
All the airlines use Jepps, Ameriflight is one of the largest 135 cargo airlines, so it's an easy transition to whatever job you go to. I've used both and it's easier to go from Jepp to NOS, rather than the other way around. And yes, AMF does pay for the charts, you just have to keep them updated.

If you get hired as an FO, then yes you would probably upgrade into CA on the Bro. As with the tradition of AMF, they would probably make you become qualified on another aircraft as well.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Bro

In a somewhat normal economic climate how long would it take to upgrade to PIC in the Bro if you were already an SIC?
Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
In a somewhat normal economic climate how long would it take to upgrade to PIC in the Bro if you were already an SIC?
I wouldn't want to even start speculating on that. Everyone is staying put right now. I know some fellow pilots took about 9 months-1 year varying with seniority and need. But, don't hold on to these words if you don't get it in that time frame. They ask all the captains you've flown with and go mostly off of their recommendations and imput.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

does ameriflight only hire into the navajo? I have 1400 hours, 400 of which are SIC in a SA-227.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by asdf View Post
does ameriflight only hire into the navajo? I have 1400 hours, 400 of which are SIC in a SA-227.
Yes, everyone gets hired into the Navajo/Chieftain, unless you get hired into a base that's an all turbine base.

400 SIC in a Tube, from where?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

And which all turbine base has hired anyone recently? Even the OMA base start up filled all it's BE99 positons with chieftain drivers who transfered for the upgrade.