Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Amflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Grad school student - again...

I have put my resume in. How long does it take to get a call?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by aviator4hire View Post
I have put my resume in. How long does it take to get a call?
Make sure you do the online application too. Don't be shy, they have a recruiter in BUR, call 1-800-800-4JET and ask for pilot recruiting, I doubt anyone would be offended if you call.

I figured I was a "shoe in" when I applied, three weeks later no response. It wasn't until I called them that I got an interview scheduled.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Fixed wing, left

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Make sure you do the online application too. Don't be shy, they have a recruiter in BUR, call 1-800-800-4JET and ask for pilot recruiting, I doubt anyone would be offended if you call.

I figured I was a "shoe in" when I applied, three weeks later no response. It wasn't until I called them that I got an interview scheduled.
Did you already have your interview? were some of the gouges out there similar to what the interview was like?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the tips own nav, I'll do that on Monday morning ASAP!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Scooter2525 View Post
Did you already have your interview? were some of the gouges out there similar to what the interview was like?
I've been working for AMF for a while, so I'm sure some circumstances have changed, nevertheless, if they're advertising on climbto350 or the ameriflight.com websites, giving them a call is completely appropriate.

As far as the interview goes, the gouges on willflyforfood and aviationinterviews were good. Heck, even reading the ameriflight.com interview prep was very helpful. I'm sure it's getting tighter and more comprehensive where things are getting more competitive. Any way you look at it, it's to your advantage to study hard. Just getting past the initial interview won't get you the job, the first week of ground school is considered "part of the interview." And just passing your checkride doesn't mean your first couple weeks flying solo in hard IFR will be easy. Be prepared, study and practice.

Back to the interview, the sim eval was the hardest part for me (plan tight turns and short segments, if it's too tight, you might even consider entering a holding pattern, be sure to make the report as you enter it: time, position and altititude). If you're interviewing in BUR, find the toughest Socal approaches and practice them (ie. LGB, BUR, RIV).
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

When I put people through the sim evaluation this is where most of them screw it up. SMO-BUR. LAX 316R to SILEX...DIRECT. Someone please tell me how you would fly that approach of you DID NOT receive vectors onto the approach. This is where I fail 90% of the applicants.

It all has to do with proper knowledge of Jeppesen chart symbology, IFR knowledge, and TERPs procedures.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
When I put people through the sim evaluation this is where most of them screw it up. SMO-BUR. LAX 316R to SILEX...DIRECT. Someone please tell me how you would fly that approach of you DID NOT receive vectors onto the approach. This is where I fail 90% of the applicants.

It all has to do with proper knowledge of Jeppesen chart symbology, IFR knowledge, and TERPs procedures.
I can only imagine what Bob's reaction would be if they did that in actual training.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I called today and looks like a possible interview in DFW next thrusday! YAY! Back to the study books! (groan) Any tips for the interview in DFW?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

TERPS? What Maryland got to do with this?

Seriously though, what the answer to you're question? I'm to tired to pull out the books.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by trafly View Post
TERPS? What Maryland got to do with this?

Seriously though, what the answer to you're question? I'm to tired to pull out the books.
Look at the BUR ILS or LOC Y RWY 8 approach. The feeder from LAX to SILEX; what would you do when you reach SILEX? Turn hard right to intercept the LOC or do a PT (teardrop entry) and get established. You would be surprised how many people tell me or fly it in the sim option #1 and if you do that would fail the sim eval and go against IFR procedures.

TERPS= Terminal EnRoute ProcedureS

What, you don't sleep with your TERPS manual under your pillow at night?