Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Atp?

Old 08-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Default Atp?

I work for a small 135 flying piston twins and king airs. I got 1400 hrs. should I start to study the 135 ATP and ask my check airman to give me the ride? or wait for a different job to come up that includes a type and just get it while doing that? the only catch is if I go and do it with my check airman I would most likely have to cover the costs myself. Ideas?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: A320/321 FO

Well, if you are looking to eventually move on to greener pastures, a lot of charter outfits are looking for someone with an ATP. With the way the industry is these days, you need to set yourself apart from the rest and give yourself a leg up. I'm sure your CP is pretty cool and he will give you a good deal on the airplane. Try not to think about the initial costs, but think of it as an investment for your future career in aviation.

Cheers, and good luck!
Lax
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!

My money would go toward certs... I figure it's better to have it and not need it than need and not have it. Just my two cents.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

I agree with Laxrox43 that you should see it as benefiting you now and improving your chances with future opportunities. Will having an ATP reduce insurance rates for your operator? Maybe you can share the cost with your employer in exchange for a pro-rated contract (ie: you pay upfront and they reimburse you $$$ per month until it is paid off). I think Clay Lacy operates this way; not for ATP but general type ratings for new hires.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Do you fly PIC or SIC. I ask because the ATP ride has maybe 1 approach and a few more stalls than the PIC 135 ride. So I don't know why the company wouldn't give the ATP ride for no charge. Also is the Check Airman also a DE or would you have to bring in the FAA?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Sitting on the sidelines

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I work for a small 135 flying piston twins and king airs. I got 1400 hrs. should I start to study the 135 ATP and ask my check airman to give me the ride? or wait for a different job to come up that includes a type and just get it while doing that? the only catch is if I go and do it with my check airman I would most likely have to cover the costs myself. Ideas?

Very few check airman are designated examiners. All they can do is the company's 135 ride.. You would need to go to the feds or find a DE for an ATP....oh, and a plane to use!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Your check-airmen will always need to have supervised rides, so you can do your ATP and 135 in the same ride, while your Check-Airmen can get his ride in also. My old 135 company did this a lot, and at no charge to you, because everyone wins.