Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Training Contract Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2008

Just remember avation is a small community and you dont want to burn bridges.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Sounds almost like something PW would try...?

Just remember, Aviation is a small community and you don't want to be the bridge others run on from the fire...

What is the pro-rated training contract?
This is an $XX,XXX.xx training contract with the airline. The contract is 12 months in length. Should you leave employment (voluntary or involuntary) prior to the end of the 12-month period, you will be required to pay the balance of the contract. The balance due on the contact will decrease by 1/12th every 30 days of employment following the date you pass your check ride with BlahBlah
"You will be required" is most likely not enforceable in a court of law, as you could argue that the entire sense of "employment" is undermined by the fact that they most likely pay you minimum wage for occupying a seat that is only per some regulation required to be occupied, logging time that may prove worthless, which will turn every peanut they pay you (in this case XXX.XX dollars/ month) into nothing, in case you decide to leave. Keep in mind that safety violations, or failing any sort of checkride (even one set up out of the blue sky to get you line kicked), as well as declining to operate an aircraft in an unsafe manner could leave you stranded "voluntarily or involuntarily" ending your employment. I suspect the FAA is turning a blind eye to such operations?

It all comes down to being a discussion about chicken or egg. Your initial qualification to be employable by such firms was there before they "hired" you, in whatever sort of certificate you hold. They hired you knowing full well that you'd have to pass a 135 Checkride. It's then nothing but a pressure tool to get you to stay, so they get their money's worth (supposedly) out of having invested basically nothing in "training" people.

Generally I have not seen many reputable companies do that, except for T/R related issues for high demand airplanes, whereas a Company may sponsor your T/R. Even then, I would view the practice rather shady. Not being a lawyer, I can almost guarantee that if you keep every piece of documentation leading to this employment + maybe one or two expert witness statements you will cause a hefty chuckle on the side of the judge, while he rips that contract to pieces.

If there is no one ready and available to explain the meaning of that contract, and ask you if you truly understand what you are signing - I'd just sign it. Otherwise, send it to a contract lawyer, if he/ she chuckles and tells you to sign it - go ahead.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

At the compqny I used to work for, all employees are supposed to sign a 12 month contract, but it seemed like with every other person, they'd forget to give them the contract. In those cases, the pilots just simply didnt sign, and they got off on never having to deal with the contract. Of course when it came time to upgrade or do a recurrent, they'd make sure to offer them the contract BEFORE doing the training.

My advice is to simply ignore the request to sign the contract. Only sign it if they really start to threaten you with termination over it (which would be a really dumb move on their part.)
Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

It is the ultimate catch 22, but in the end, they dropped the ball and didn't mention/offer it to you at the beginning of training. Honestly, any self-respecting person can stick it out 1 yr at a job, no matter how bad it is, unless obviously personal safety is an issue(won't go there). I signed one at my small 135, for $6k for flying C310's. It didn't bother me because I knew two things, first that I was easily going to stick out 1yr, and secondly I knew that if need be, I could prove that the training wasn't worth that much money, and obviously pro-rate it down also.

Do what you want, but if you think this company is legit, safe, and does most things right, then is it really going to hurt you by signing it? If things start becoming fishy, start documenting events and actions by your superiors, but to build that trust and stay in good graces with them I'd just sign it.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: On top.

Sign it.

One year is nothing in aviation, especially when just starting to build time.
Small world, companies talk and also pay attention to resumes. A resume were someone stayed for short time at a company is raising questions and they want answers to why. Really it is not the end of the world, they are not out to get you, just protecting their investment.

In all honestly I don't get it why people make such a big deal about it. Be happy you have a job in these times.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: hmmmm.....

My buddy sighed a training contract with priority for a year in a C208. He stayed about two months after his contract well he looked for jobs in the regionals. He ended up with comair, I don’t remember how much time he built over the year but it was quite a bit. So the time will be worth it and people are right about the fact that you want to make any many friends as you can! good Luck!!