-scoot
Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: Facing forward, punching buttons

Hmmmmm...on the wire tonight.

Teamsters Replace Local as Bargaining Agent for Cape Air Pilots

International's Airline Division Takes Direct Responsibility

HYANNIS, Mass., March 27 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Teamsters Airline Division Director David Bourne said today that he is replacing Teamsters Local 747 as the bargaining agent for pilots employed by Cape Air, Inc., who are now in mediation.

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters' Airline Division in Washington, D.C., took direct responsibility for representing Hyannis, Mass-based Cape Air because of concerns over insufficient representation by the local.

In a letter to the Cape Air pilots, Bourne noted many Cape Air pilots and their local leadership raised concerns that the lack of support they were receiving from Local 747 would compromise their contract talks, now in mediation with the National Mediation Board.

"I have taken this step in order to place control of your negotiations directly under my authority as the director of the Airline Division," Bourne wrote.

"I will not tolerate any member of the Airline Division being treated with anything less than 100 percent full-time, professional and completely focused support, under any circumstances," Bourne wrote. "And after being apprised of the difficulties your Council has faced in your mediation, I will not allow this to continue and your career expectations to be placed at risk because of unacceptably substandard representation from Local 747."

The move, while not unprecedented, indicates the hands-on style that Bourne brought to the Teamsters Airline Division since being named director in July. As the three-term master executive council chairman of the 1000 pilots employed at Atlas Air, Bourne earned a reputation for direct engagement with crewmembers, management and the national union to ensure crewmembers received very high levels of support.

John Caputo, an Atlas pilot who once served as vice chairman of the Atlas Air unit, said he would expect nothing less from Bourne.

"He is completely committed to ensuring his people have the total support of their union," Caputo said. "For him to take such a step tells me there was a serious problem with the support these pilots were getting."

No determination has yet been made as to which Teamsters local will eventually be assigned to represent the Cape Air group.

"Right now, our only focus is on providing these pilots with the support they have not been receiving and help them get a good contract," Bourne said. "We'll make that decision about what local they become part of when the time is appropriate."

Founded in 1903, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents more than 1.4 million hardworking men and women in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.

SOURCE International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Old 03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Whoa! That's straight out of left field.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Heard a few Furloughed Air Tran guys taking refuge at 9k are getting recalled, can anyone confirm this? If so how many, and is there any other movement going on?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Just curious how does this affect some the furlough refugees from an ALPA carrier?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: Facing forward, punching buttons

Originally Posted by fjetter View Post
Just curious how does this affect some the furlough refugees from an ALPA carrier?
Why would it affect them one way or the other? This is about the Director of the IBT Airline Division helping a pilot group that apparently is not being supported by their local.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

Originally Posted by 1515greenlight View Post
Why would it affect them one way or the other? This is about the Director of the IBT Airline Division helping a pilot group that apparently is not being supported by their local.
I don't know the rules but, are you allowed be a member of multiple unions at the same time?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by FlyingChipmunk View Post
I don't know the rules but, are you allowed be a member of multiple unions at the same time?
Yep. I'm still an ALPA member. No worries there.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
Yep. I'm still an ALPA member. No worries there.
Well I don't know why it would be a problem for the ALPA guys then.

Still a lot of drama around here with the IBT and CAPA. Will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Any Cape guys make it to the IBT pizza dinner in HYA last night?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by minitour View Post
Aroo? -mini
Was that the Scooby Doo "Aroo?" ?