Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
Can anyone tell me about Air Cargo Carriers?? >

Can anyone tell me about Air Cargo Carriers??

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Can anyone tell me about Air Cargo Carriers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Muy Importanté

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Default Can anyone tell me about Air Cargo Carriers??

Just received a phone call and have an interview next Tuesday 10/7 for a first officer position. What has anyone heard of them or are there any current or ex-employees of Air Cargo Carriers out there? Any information on the interview or nature of the job and/or like or dislike schedule would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Depends what you are looking for. I don't know much about them, freight company that flies Shorts. Sic time might be great if you can upgrade fast. there are a few other FEDEX / UPS freight operators out there that fly Caravans, BE-99's, etc. single pilot and probably pay more if you meet their requirements. Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: CE-650

aviationinterviews.com will have everything you need...everyone is laid back during the interview, very nice people.

Pay is 24K FO, 43K captain. Basically half of your pay is perdiam, so it's not taxed. Yearly raises are roughly 10% of your salary. Pay is salary!!! doesn't matter if you fly 5 hrs a month or 100.

You get twin turbine time, so that's good...upgrade to captain is based on your hours and if they need you, but you only get paid captain if you're acting as PIC...so they may type you PIC, but put you in the right seat, then you're only getting FO pay. You won't know what base you're going to until they call you a few days before and say, "hey this is your base." The planes are cargo planes, built in the 80's..so love flying, be happy, work hard, and you'll do fine. If they don't have a run for you, you will sit reserve and will be able to live at home, and they will buy you a ticket out of the nearest big airport.

Scheduals...for the most part are NIGHT scheduals...aircar.com has all the scheduals under the jumpseat tab. you have to show 1 hr before, and will usually be there 1 hr after. Some runs are very nice, and you will fly during the day...it's not all that bad. You will be flying near thunderstorms, during extreme cold, extreme heat...but you know what...fall and spring are nice. Just remember, you will be a cargo pilot.

But you will be home everyday, you get every weekend off, and depending on contractor, you will have holidays off.

Charter schedual is on-demand, all over the country, mexico, canada, and islands. Schedual is 2 weeks on, 1 week off. Charter can be competitive to get.

We are CASS/jumpseat approved with most airlines, that's a HUGE benifit.

If you're the type of person that doesn't mind lifting some boxes, giving a helping hand, and will be a team player...this place is for you.

Best of luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Tiki bar

Hey Twebb... I just applied tonight, do you perhaps know the current list of bases? Im looking for something in the Cincinnati, OH, Louisville, KY, Columbus, OH area, and even Wilmington, OH (ILN, the DHL hub). Thanks!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Here is the jumpseat list... http://aircar.com/acci/jumpseat_Info.asp

Most of the runs go into Louisville. As far as getting a base..you will put in your dream sheet of where you want to go...if they can't give you any of those they will put you where they need you, then when one of your bids opens up, and as nobody above you wants it, you will get it. Once you get a run you put a bid in for, you are there for at least 90 days...they WILL NOT kick you out of your base to put in someone more senior, it is yours until you leave. If they put you somewhere you didn't want to go, they will pay for moving expenses, or on your FIRST move of one of your choces (fuel and hotel for 2 weeks).

Since there are a few runs into SDF, you should get there sooner than later.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Speed tape and prayers

What's the home life like? Is this job commutable or is it wiser to simply live in your domicile location? Just trying to get an idea of how this lifestyle would affect home life. Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Depends on what schedule you get. If you become a charter pilot, you can live at home for a week but you are away for two weeks straight. The more likely schedule is a scheduled run where you work from a base everyday. You get weekends off so if you want to go home, you have to be back before you takeoff monday night. If your base is where you live (ie live in Columbus and work CMH-SDF), then you get see the family everyday. Commutablity is not too much of an option during the week. Hope that helps. If you're not back by in time for your flight on monday...company won't be happy, this isn't a regional where you can say, ''oops sorry, can someone fill in?"
Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Speed tape and prayers

Twebb,

Oh yeah, I understood the solid work week, I only meant commuting on the weekends (I live in San Diego), it would be nice to see the girl at least then. She works all week so I wouldn't see her much even if I was home, so that makes it easier. I noticed that you said that your company was CASS approved, so that would makes the idea of a weekend commute that much more feasible. I saw the company minimums but do you know if those are flexible? I currently have 300 hours with about 130 ME and another 50 that was Multi FTD time. I also have my CFI, CFII and MEI. I'm also prior military and have my college degree. I guess, the short answer to that would be to just apply and see what happens but I was just looking for your opinion since you work with the company. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

With that multi time you should be good. There was a guy in my class that had those same hrs. Acc will acknowlege that people are there to buid time. All they ask for is a 1 year non-prorated contract and a strong work ethic. Put in your resume and see what happens, I would fill out the online resume, mail one in, and call HR for an email to the director of training.
Sounds like they are doing interviews now, so get it in. Remember, acc is a great company, but it's great because of the people that work here, and they work hard.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Any word on Charleston, WV or Beckley, WV as a base? Possible to get in as a new-hire?