Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Dayjets

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: CR7 Capt
Default Dayjets

Not sure if this has been posted yet. There was no word on there mins, as they not recieved airplanes but, thought some wanting to go to FLA might find it interesting. Have a friend that brought it to my attention who wants to go there. www.dayjets.com
Old 04-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2005

Yeah, Ive been watching them for the past few months. It seems their start time has been pushed back several times by Eclipse delaying the start of deliveries. I would also like to know there mins and pay scale.

Im also wondering, how exactly does this Air Taxi thing work? Do any of you think that there is a niche in the market for this kind of travel?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: A220 First Officer
Default Dayjet

First off, I would like to say that I can not confirm or deny the statement I am about to make, it is not first hand knowledge. One of my professors has talked about this company in one of my classes. He talked to someone that is involved in the start-up of the operation while he was attending some aviation conference. He says that they will be looking to hire airline retirees for their operation. Their minimums will be 7000 turbine time. Their starting pay will be 75,000 per year. Their pilots will work a "normal" schedule that will either be an 8 hour shift morning till afternoon or an 8 hour shift from afternoon to evening. Pilots will be home everynight. My prof claims that the fact that you will be home everynight, working a "normal" schedule, plus the good pay will allow them to pull off the 7000 turbine time requirement. In my opinion, the whole operation sounds too good to be true. (Except the time requirement of course) Only time will tell if they can pull it off.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2005

7000 hours... Wow. Heh, so much for that.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by DJR_
7000 hours... Wow. Heh, so much for that.

Haha thats what i was thinking also. I was guessing 2000-4000 would be the mins.

edik
Old 04-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: CR7 Capt

I wonder if it is going to be a single pilot operation That seems like a high time qualification for a little VLJ. Hell someone with 500hrs can fly a CRJ but not a VLJ. A little backwards IMO.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2005

You have to remember the insurance companies are driving these high mins. It's not that they don't believe you could fly this aircraft with 2000TT but the ins companies make it cost prohibitive for them. REDWAVE
Old 04-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Let's take a step back and look at this. NJA and FLOPS are losing $$ paying their pilot alot less. With a glut of pilots out there why would any company with smart mgmt pay over market for their pilots. With a cherry schedule that's been discussed, many guys give up $$ for QOL so why the big initial pay? Also, if they are hiring retirees (i.e. 60+) then why have a "low" total of 7k hours when these guys usually carry 15k and then some. They may be able to get a better break on insurance costs. Finally, unless they are not providing medical benefits, hiring crews almost exclusively of that age group would greatly drive up medical costs. That is maybe why they want retirees who are not looking for med bennies, 401k, etc. $75k single-piloted with no bennies may be possible to pull off but you know what they say. "If it sounds too good to be true then......" My opinion of course.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Line Holder

Position: CL-65

I think DayJet might be able to pull it off. Yes, salary is high for flying a VLJ, but the cost of flying a VLJ make them still very competitive even with the higher salary factored in the cost per mile/hour.

They can also use the fact that they hire high time pilots as a marketing tool.

That is off-course if it is true. I haven't heard a first hand account about what DayJet is doing as of yet.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: CA

Here are the posted mins right off of their website:

Minimum Qualifications

To be able to deliver the best customer experience in regional travel, DayJet pilots must meet the following minimum qualifications:

3,000 hours flight time (excluding helicopter, simulator and flight engineer time)
1,000 hours as Pilot-in-Command (PIC)
1,000 hours multi-engine
500 hours turbo-jet PIC
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certification
Current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Radio License
Valid passport with the ability to travel in and out of the U.S.
Valid U.S. driver’s license
Must pass a ten (10) year background check and pre-employment drug test

I also believe starting pay is in the $50,000 dollar neighborhood, not 75,000. You will more than likely make more than that as a 1st year FO at NJA on the 7/7, and easily more than that on the reserve! I don't think guys with these quals will be knocking down the door to fly nothing more than a light twin at a start-up company!