Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 Operation question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Left, then right, then left again

If you are even thinking of starting a Part 135 certificate the first thing you need to do is get your application in, these things go in order received and in South Florida for example they are running over a year to even get started with the certification process.

Also, the down turn of the economy could be a bonus for you, there are companies going under everyday and you should be able to pick up a basic operating certificate pretty cheap. The regs kind of say you can't "buy" an airline certificate but there are ways around that. Plus, since you only want a simple single pilot operation you can be the CP and DO with your experience in 121 the FAA should have no grief with that.

If you find yourself really confused down the road there are many consulting companies out there that will help expedite the process with the knowledge and contacts they have.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Keep in mind that the charter industry is very fragmented. There are mom and pops operations operating all over the country with one or two airplanes. You can't compete with the guy who has 25 airplanes scattered throughout the country, ready to repo a short leg on a minute's notice. If you start a charter operation, you need a large amount of local business. Otherwise your rate to repo from Augusta, GA to TEB, then fly some dude to MDW, then repo back to home... your rate will not be competitive. And if you break along the way, you've got no backup. Unless you have identified a market niche in your local economy, you are setting yourself up for a miserbable experience to cost you much much money.

Yes, I am the guy who knows everything and quite literally invented the charter industry with two Wright Flyers back in 1910.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Excellent information on this thread.

Last year I was inspired by taking a local scenic float plane ride. Of course the flight itself was a great experience as I have not been in a GA aircraft for years. However, the inspiring aspect of the experience is that the fellow running the show was pretty young, early 30s. I am the same age. So here he is, owner of his own plane, and I only guess that his little operation is profitable, or if nothing else, pays for itself. I don't have the luxury that he does. I can't be a pt135 owner/operator because I am an airline guy.

So it got me thinking. How could I do something similar? I am in the initial stages of researching 135 Ops. This thread, and a few other threads here at APC got me off to a good start. However, I am having a hard time deciphering the different types of 135 ops between the simple owner(1 aircraft)/operator 135 and the full blown scheduled 135 operations. Is there an arrangement that would allow me to have one small single, and hire one or two pilots? I am not looking to go the Director of Ops / Director of Mx / Chief Pilot route.

What do I need to know if I "add-on" myself and my aircraft to a current 135 operation? How would an individual such as myself go about finding a willing participant? How are costs and profits typically shared in this type of arrangement?

I am still a year or two out from doing anything, however, I am taking everyone's advice and getting started early as it seems it is a long process.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Can the same company have multiple certificates? i.e. have a 135 non scheduled, 135 scheduled and 121 operating certificate? all at once?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: EMB145 Captain

My understading in this issue is that you get whatever you want as long as you can prove the feds that you can do it safely and that you follow and meet all their requirements. I was involved in a 121 supplemental, but, we also had authorization for some schedule flying. Having a good relationship with your POI (Primary Operations Inspector) makes the BIG difference.

You can definetly have 2 different certificates, but remember that the airplanes can be only for specific certificate. They cannot be in different OPS SPECS...

Hope that helps...
Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Yes, that does help. I'm interested in doing some 135 on demand operations as well as scheduled service within the mid west and east coast regions. I'm looking at the feasibility aspect as well as the cost. You're saying that the same airplane couldn't do both, right since there would be two separate op specs? I'd have to operate two different airplanes then one for 135 and one for 121? Correct me if I'm wrong, but new carriers can no longer operate under scheduled 135.