Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Cape Air (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/39132-cape-air.html)

Bozo the pilot 06-26-2013 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dokk (Post 1435193)
<<<Rides a 402 back to his base and commutes weekly. Plan on spending more time in your out station than at home. Finding another pilot who will shift swap days helps.

Based in BOS or STL helps tons but guys do it in the out stations. Maybe my idea of commuting is wrong, but I've yet to spend a single day off in base.

Glad it works out for ya-try bein based in the north country-RUT or SLK-Much tougher loads but yur right about swappin with another pilot. It can help.

Baronpilot 06-26-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Amanda (Post 1434128)
Thanks for the info!! If I go there, I'll be going in as FO, so I believe I'd be working that for some amount of time no matter what when I'm between the 1200-1500TT. Either way, in comparison with the non-flying jobs in I've had in the past (and managed to enjoy), I'm sure I'll find some way to enjoy it. I'm an optimist, so the glass is always half-full ;)

That's a good attitude to have!! If you did get a mail/freight line, you'd still work a day or two a week as an FO for the passenger ops too.

Baronpilot 06-26-2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by PotatoChip (Post 1434123)
I've rode the jumpseat (I know there isn't an actual jumpseat, but I was a CASS rider) several times and have always had a great experience. I've considered working there in my current furloughed state, however my talks with recruiters have dissuaded me. Both time I have been told that I can plan on being assigned at least three domiciles in my first 18 months and they strongly advise against commuting. Can anyone speak to this? Is this correct that they fully expect you to move your family three times in 18 months? If so, this job really is just for 23 year old CFIs....

It really all depends on where you'd want to be based. There are some stations that can be held right out of training year round, in all regions.

Baronpilot 06-26-2013 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot (Post 1435038)
Most bases itll be 500 minus taxes. This is not a commutable airline-management wants pilots based in the outstations. Lets be clear its a good place to work, but you may have to move twice the first year and commuting will be very difficult. Be prepared to live in outstations except for the summer- and if you get bos/hya for the summer, youll be moving each september until you're senior enough to hold a hub year round. Might take 3 years or more. Also if you do "commute", youll be riding a 402 back to your base and they hold 9 pax so good luck commuting. If things have changed from 2010 in a major way- please correct the above info. peace

I don't think it's really changed much. BOS and HYA are still pretty senior in the winter, especially BOS. HYA is probably a two year wait from date of hire to hold year round.

rocketman3746 07-01-2013 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot (Post 1435198)
Glad it works out for ya-try bein based in the north country-RUT or SLK-Much tougher loads but yur right about swappin with another pilot. It can help.

Lol, he is based in the north country. I think he has a pretty long commute too. At least longer than mine was when I was based up there...

9kBud 07-01-2013 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rocketman3746 (Post 1437625)
Lol, he is based in the north country. I think he has a pretty long commute too. At least longer than mine was when I was based up there...

I'm glad someone found the irony in that comment. And if anything, I'd almost say that BOS and STL are less commuter friendly due to management's ability to change days off on a whim for the junior SVT guys.

Amanda 07-10-2013 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Baronpilot (Post 1435248)
That's a good attitude to have!! If you did get a mail/freight line, you'd still work a day or two a week as an FO for the passenger ops too.

Sounds good to me! I'm going to try to knock out my multi this week and next, then I'm hoping to get working on an application!

Jetlife 07-11-2013 12:45 PM

Passed a 402 on the way for takeoff out of BOS yesterday, clean planes at least.

R57 relay 07-26-2013 08:56 AM

Wonder if Cape Air guys can answer a question for me.

I'm long removed from the 135 world, but my son has about 100hrs and is finishing college. We were talking about the new 121 time requirements and the paths available to logging 1500 hrs. He mentioned that Cape Air had 402 F/Os and I was surprised at that, I thought they were single pilot. So, the question is, can Cape Air F/O log SIC time? Are there no autopilots in the aircraft, thus requiring a F/O. I once flew a B-99 as F/O and that was how I was allowed to log SIC time.

Thanks

9kBud 07-26-2013 09:41 AM

The short answer is yes, they can log SIC. All the planes have autopilots, so what allows them log SIC is the way that our ops specs are written. I have never seen any 402 FO's have problems when they interview for other jobs because of they SIC time, and furthermore, it almost becomes a moot point seeing as how we all upgrade at ATP mins anyway.