Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Cape Air (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/39132-cape-air.html)

ackattacker 10-03-2013 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by jrsx99 (Post 1495305)
What is the approximate washout rate for training? Also, where are people leaving for after cape air? I have been giving some very, very, serious thought to Cape, but the whole no-turbine time kinda makes me hesitate. Is this stupid on my part?

I don't actually know the washout rate, I just know it happens frequently enough, and I heard tell that the reason for the expansion of the FO program a few years back was partly a response to that. They wanted guys to have some more experience in the Cape Air system before taking their PIC checkride, since they really won't pass you to go out and fly PIC if they think you're not ready. And too many guys weren't ready.

No, the whole no-turbine thing is certainly something to think about. You have to know your priorities. You probably will not go straight to a major airline from Cape Air without turbine time. People have left Cape Air straight for a major, but all that I'm aware of had some turbine time either from Cape or elsewhere. Most people without turbine time end up leaving Cape for a regional, or some for private jets or fractionals and even cargo outfits. Keep in mind, if you're willing to move to Guam, it is possible to get turbine time at Cape Air.

There's also the JetBlue bridge program, where folks do end up at JetBlue without any previous turbine time. But that's kind of a special exemption (don't get me started), in general JetBlue and most other major airlines won't look at guys without turbine time.

cubbies4life 10-03-2013 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by jrsx99 (Post 1495305)
What is the approximate washout rate for training? Also, where are people leaving for after cape air? I have been giving some very, very, serious thought to Cape, but the whole no-turbine time kinda makes me hesitate. Is this stupid on my part?

4/14 washed out of my class

Originally Posted by ackattacker (Post 1495529)
I don't actually know the washout rate, I just know it happens frequently enough, and I heard tell that the reason for the expansion of the FO program a few years back was partly a response to that. They wanted guys to have some more experience in the Cape Air system before taking their PIC checkride, since they really won't pass you to go out and fly PIC if they think you're not ready. And too many guys weren't ready.

No, the whole no-turbine thing is certainly something to think about. You have to know your priorities. You probably will not go straight to a major airline from Cape Air without turbine time. People have left Cape Air straight for a major, but all that I'm aware of had some turbine time either from Cape or elsewhere. Most people without turbine time end up leaving Cape for a regional, or some for private jets or fractionals and even cargo outfits. Keep in mind, if you're willing to move to Guam, it is possible to get turbine time at Cape Air.

There's also the JetBlue bridge program, where folks do end up at JetBlue without any previous turbine time. But that's kind of a special exemption (don't get me started), in general JetBlue and most other major airlines won't look at guys without turbine time.

In my experience, Corporate charter companies love people from Cape Air. It usually means a good stick and good customer service skills.

Raffi4 10-03-2013 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=cubbies4life;1495590]4/14 washed out of my class

Any idea exactly why those people washed out?

I start ground school on Monday and curious how the whole training is going be.

Lawn 10-03-2013 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=Raffi4;1495615]

Originally Posted by cubbies4life (Post 1495590)

Stop thinking about it. Go in there and study. You will have a lot of downtime at the Holiday Inn...do not abuse it.

Know your flows, procedures, and most importantly: don't **** anyone off.

rvr1800 10-03-2013 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=Raffi4;1495615]

Originally Posted by cubbies4life (Post 1495590)

Some people don't have the multi-tasking skills to operate in a single pilot environment. It's been years since I went through training there but one thing I do remember is just like any airline, you need to get those flows and memory items down exactly. Don't be afraid to get that autopilot on it's your copilot. There will be a lot going on in the cockpit with working the radios and getting out charts while dealing with an emergency. When I went through you could go out to a plane and work your flows. Do that. I definitely didn't take advantage of that as much as I should have and it showed in my first "sim" session. That's in parentheses because it's really an FTD/procedures trainer. They want you to pass and they have excellent instructors. Good luck and have fun.

Bozo the pilot 10-03-2013 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=rvr1800;1495762]

Originally Posted by Raffi4 (Post 1495615)

Some people don't have the multi-tasking skills to operate in a single pilot environment. It's been years since I went through training there but one thing I do remember is just like any airline, you need to get those flows and memory items down exactly. Don't be afraid to get that autopilot on it's your copilot. There will be a lot going on in the cockpit with working the radios and getting out charts while dealing with an emergency. When I went through you could go out to a plane and work your flows. Do that. I definitely didn't take advantage of that as much as I should have and it showed in my first "sim" session. That's in parentheses because it's really an FTD/procedures trainer. They want you to pass and they have excellent instructors. Good luck and have fun.

Agree with all above. 4 airlines later and Cape Air was the hardest with a distant second being Piedmont. Its the most fun youll have flying though. Good luck

9kBud 10-03-2013 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=rvr1800;1495762]

Originally Posted by Raffi4 (Post 1495615)

Soon, that "sim" will be a thing of the past. The training department is currently waiting on a new sim that will allow the company to comply with the new ATP requirements. Better yet, the programming for the sim is being created from one of our actual 402's, which means it'll perform like an actual 35000 hour 402 instead of the book.

rocketman3746 10-04-2013 05:31 AM

[QUOTE=9kBud;1496000]

Originally Posted by rvr1800 (Post 1495762)
Soon, that "sim" will be a thing of the past. The training department is currently waiting on a new sim that will allow the company to comply with the new ATP requirements. Better yet, the programming for the sim is being created from one of our actual 402's, which means it'll perform like an actual 35000 hour 402 instead of the book.

lol, so it'll be slow and fly crooked? Sweet!

rvr1800 10-04-2013 07:10 AM

[QUOTE=9kBud;1496000]

Originally Posted by rvr1800 (Post 1495762)

Very nice! I liked the old sim with the repurposed car seat. Much more comfortable than the real thing haha.

blaine 10-07-2013 04:24 PM

Whats the latest on new equipment? Also, is the per diem actually $36 per day? That would be an extra $4.50 per hour making first year captain pay $19.50 per duty hour.