Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska flying jobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Qbicle seat warmer

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: SAAB FO

Air Excursions down in Southeast was looking for pilots.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 PM
El Capitan

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
They recently bought 3 ex ABX DC-9s and they're getting them ready in the 'banks.
LOL They must have bought them cheap! Anyone no where they're planning on flying them? And where they got the cargo door system from? They didn't have cargo door actuators or hydraulics when we flew them.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

My understanding is they want to cut down on the Sixes flying into airports which don't need Six performance... so they can save parts and airframes to extend the life of the plane even further. I bet that with Everts you may end up seeing 100 year old planes flying freight into Quinoghak.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Groundlooped and liking it

Yeah, so when are the -9s going to be hauling mail?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Position: DHC-8 FO

Just got back from Alaska airman's and talked to a pilot there for Everts about the 9's. I guess they do have a large door and it opens beats me on where they got the package from but THey have had the planes for a while now maybe they did the mod themselves. Supposedly they will start flying them with a month or two their are some internal bids out for the positions. I guess they are going to start using them in places that don't require special mods. I would assume that means a nome, Kotz type of place. Paved decently long runway and facilities. That way they can keep sending the 6's out to the unimproved runways and can also take more cargo for the villages. On a side not ACE just started a class today and Everts does not see any hiring for a little while.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: CH-47D Flight Engineer

Hello, I am a new pilot (fixed wing), but have about 9 years in Aviation. I currently work as a Helicopter Flight Engineer/Crew Chief, and have about 1600 hours performing those tasks.(Just wish that counted as stick time) I am also and A&P/IA. I am hoping to work in Alaska flying bags and trash, but dont know what route I should go when it comes to getting up there. I was thinking of trying to get on working the Maint side until I have built enough hours to transition to a pilot position, but I'm not sure that would be the best route.
Does Being an A&P/IA help when it comes to obtaining a Pilot job up there?
Any help or advise would be great.
Thanks to all.
Ryan
Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Hard to say

Originally Posted by Rino82 View Post
Hello, I am a new pilot (fixed wing), but have about 9 years in Aviation. I currently work as a Helicopter Flight Engineer/Crew Chief, and have about 1600 hours performing those tasks.(Just wish that counted as stick time) I am also and A&P/IA. I am hoping to work in Alaska flying bags and trash, but dont know what route I should go when it comes to getting up there. I was thinking of trying to get on working the Maint side until I have built enough hours to transition to a pilot position, but I'm not sure that would be the best route.
Does Being an A&P/IA help when it comes to obtaining a Pilot job up there?
Any help or advise would be great.
Thanks to all.
Ryan
I have seen mechanics convert to flying the line but it takes a long time and usually does not come to pass. It is much more difficult for a part 135 operator to find a mechanic in the bush than a pilot.

They will promise the moon to get a mechanic on the hook but then can not preform. In any case insurance will require that you have the same time as the other pilots anyway. A better approach is to get the flight time and go up there as a pilot applicant.

Skyhigh
Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: CH-47D Flight Engineer

Thanks for the Reply, I was sort of thinking that as well, or maybe moving up once i get my CFI so that i can build "Alaska" time. Right now I'm heading to Germany for a couple years, got a 6 fig job that I plan on using to pay for my Inst, Comercial, CFI, and CFII ratings.... Hope to get some multi there as well but the club that has US registered planes doesn't have a multi..... Hope fully make it to Alaska after that!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Livin' the dream

Good luck in Germany Rino.
If I'm still poking around APCF when you get out/done in Germany, and if you still are interested in AK send me a PM before you ETS(? are you out now, I guess so if you've got a six figure job lined up?). Ill try to help out another vet anyday.

Be safe. Stay frosty.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Groundlooped and liking it

Did Everts really freeze the pay for their pilot's? No raises, and worsening schedules?