Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   SurfAir (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/66586-surfair.html)

Anotherpilot84 09-30-2016 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by pc12ng (Post 2212207)
FYI, SurfAir is a cool place to work. heres whats happened recently to help you decide if you want to work here

1) they have cut alot of the flying out of the system. they told 300 members to kick rocks because they could not afford to operate it.

2) moral is the worst I have seen it since I started. Our attrition rate is to the tune of " id rather work at a regional" and weve lost "if i had to guess" 30 people in the last 6 months....of 90

3) this isnt the come and get 22 days off a month anymore. most routes are only out and backs. its so bad they issued a 4 hour pay credit just to keep people from not going loco. I came here and had 20-22 days off a month, I now have 5.

4) we are losing money like kylie jenner at a Louis Vuitton store.

5) the main reason we have captains here is becasuse we wanted QOL, and to be honest we lost alot of people because aside from being home everynight, its the same route everyday and now the routes are terrible.

6) as you have noticed the Europe marketing has taken over the company. I have not seen an add for California in months.

to break it down this place was a fantastic place to work if you wanted a good QOL. I would not advise anyone trying to build time, move on, or come in as a street captain. The great pilot group is starting to become know by management as "just a number" like any other 135 or 121 place.

in conclusion I just want you young guys to know what to expect. Ive seen pilots hired at 288 hours and others at 1000 for FO. apply to build crew experience and build turbine time. From what I have seen you are better off getting twin time at ameriflight, or going to skywest. this was not meant to draw negativity, just a look from the inside. they are going from the "flying club" to the oh **** were broke phase. IMHO they really blew it but what can you do its a flying job if we wanted to make money we would have picked another career!!!

You say it's good but than bad? Oh not getting them 22 days off. I'm sorry you picked a job were you should know what the life is about. It's a 135, try finding a 135 anywhere that give you a monthly schedule. and last off you sir are what I call a Captain America. you wine and B**** about everything and anything. Have fun were ever you are going, for I'm sure your going to B**** about that too

flydaho 09-30-2016 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Anotherpilot84 (Post 2214040)
You say it's good but than bad? Oh not getting them 22 days off. I'm sorry you picked a job were you should know what the life is about. It's a 135, try finding a 135 anywhere that give you a monthly schedule. and last off you sir are what I call a Captain America. you wine and B**** about everything and anything. Have fun were ever you are going, for I'm sure your going to B**** about that too

You sound fun to fly with.

Jetlife 09-30-2016 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Anotherpilot84 (Post 2214040)

My last 2 135 jobs I had a schedule. Stop settling...

Kingfisher 10-01-2016 09:21 AM

Well, it certainly isn't APC without all the negativity and bitterness. For those aspiring to fly here, take it with a grain of salt.

22 days off... Must've be one of the country club domiciles CRQ or SBA. 😃

Golden Child 10-04-2016 10:46 PM

I spent a year at URF, leaving in summer. In my experience, everybody who showed up from a regional with time and a degree was just there to enjoy waiting for the call from mainline. Everybody who had a 4-year got that call, going to UAL, Virgin, JetBlue and Hawaiian.The rest were there for better QOL and, as a whole, it was an outstanding group with great timing. That said, we were taking new deliveries, holding 14-17 days off a month, and in generally high morale. There came a point where the relationship with the pilots began to be strained some, mostly by the lack of communication and retreat from previously announced plans. When bases began to be re-aligned and senior people were left asking questions that weren't answered, some of them decided to look into the next thing by summer. When a sizable group of those who were active stalwarts of the culture moved on, it left a feeling among the close-knit culture (many of whom had come in together during the larger growth push) that the legacy crew was sensing time to abandon ship. There were a series of things that were not well received by the more senior folks who had carried the run up to peak service: a picky memo requiring a particular arrangement of drinks on the plane in a certain presentation, new uniforms with flimsy ties amid budget changes, closing a senior domicile, and realigning folks out of a base they were hired for just a month before. When the first of them went, there was an obvious need for captains after, but the company seemed to play it off as if staffing was fine. The result was that a couple of people who were new or perceived among line flyers as not ready for the left seat, were given a CA spot. There were some more senior in the pipeline who were believed to be better candidates (as a result of internal polls to management from line CAs) who were passed over because they did not have an ATP, but there was also previous insistence by management that a cert ride would be offered if they stuck around. A few of these got frustrated waiting for the policy to come good and just moved on. We had all been seeing the training department pushing through 10-12 a month, and losing a few to temperament or insincere intentions (pulling out last minute for a different outfit, etc)... so when we found ourselves with 20 + resignations in a month, everyone wondered how they were going to make up the staffing. That kind of training expense is considerable, but add to this a few CAs murmuring that line techs were complaining about our fuel accounts, credit cards from dispatch were being declined here and there, familiar admins at corporate were leaving, Europe was launching without details from management, and none of this was coming with communication from up top... there began to be a lot of murmuring for the first time. So, everyone began to shop around... and the company was openly happy for folks who found better opportunity, but it was now different in that admin now seemed to be fostering a culture for the new guy... all of a sudden there was the sense that the new culture would be, "just passing through." We had a guy who came back to us from UAL for the QOL (easy to understand at the time, believe it or not) who decided to move on again. The airplane deliveries stopped and some of the members were adamant about routes they expected to start that never did (particularly BUR-SJC when Alaska added daily services and JetSuite doing CRQ-SJC when URF cut back). Anyway, the guys who didn't have the degree AND the 121 time began to find out that the majors didn't care for the 135 single turbine... so they mostly made for JetSuite, Compass, or SKW. My time at URF was likely the best in my career, but the reports coming back today sound concerning to me. I hope this is just an adjustment period for them, because the outfit has a very special place in my heart. It sounds like the place is adjusting cosiderably to either get profitable for the investors, or make Europe fly. I will say that flying the coast in new airplanes was excellent, the crews were easy to get along with, and PC-12NG time into SQL is a quality transition to the bigger stuff. Hope this helps. I still carry my SA coin with me everyday.

flexing 10-18-2016 08:04 AM

Am I reading this right?

Captains - 800TT ?
Posted 10/17/16

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2...b_listing_text

FlyingStormie 10-18-2016 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by flexing (Post 2226257)
Am I reading this right?

Captains - 800TT ?
Posted 10/17/16

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2...b_listing_text

You are reading that right. However, those are the mins for FO. Somebody made a mistake when creating that listing. Here's the listing I found via SurfAir's official website:

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/jobs/su...1&widgetlink=1

CAPTAINS

Minimum Qualifications:

*Air Transport Pilot (ATP) License
*FAA first class medical (or able to obtain one before training)
*Valid driver's license
*Impeccable safety record
*Previous 121/135 experience
*2000 total time
*100 turbine time

Preferred Qualifications

*Previous PC-12 experience
*CRM experience

FIRST OFFICERS

Minimum Qualifications:

*Commercial Pilot License with Instrument rating
*FAA first class medical (or able to obtain one before training)
*Valid driver's license
*Impeccable safety record
*800 total time

Preferred Qualifications:

*Previous PC-12 experience
*Previous 121/135 experience
*CRM experience

Griffin20 10-22-2016 04:18 AM

Does anyone have an idea if they can be lenient with the 2000 TT requirement for CA's?