Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   SurfAir (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/66586-surfair.html)

MaxMar 06-06-2017 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jetpilot87 (Post 2374549)
Surf Air is now being operated by Encompass Aviation. While the majority of the transition is complete, new management is still getting their feet under them.

What's this going to change for the pilots on the line, if anything?

Panzon 06-07-2017 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by jetpilot87 (Post 2374549)
Surf Air is now being operated by Encompass Aviation. While the majority of the transition is complete, new management is still getting their feet under them. Recruiting and hiring should resume very soon, and I think it would still be worth it to submit a resume if you are sub-800 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting. Do you know any of the history that led to Encompass becoming the operator?

Metroaviator 06-07-2017 06:06 AM

Surf Air just announced they acquired "Rise"

California's Surf Air Acquires Dallas-Based Airline Company Rise | Xconomy

Griffin20 06-07-2017 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Metroaviator (Post 2375531)

Surf Air did or Encompass? 🤔

Interesting developments. Also interested in what this all means for those of you currently at Surf.

Couldn't seem to find a press release or any official statement on the Encompass acquisition so more info would be appreciated!

jetpilot87 06-07-2017 04:23 PM

Not much has changed for the line pilots, yet. Things could always come without much notice, but as of now there are no major changes coming soon that we know about.

I believe one major reason for the Encompass takeover was to finally get approval for interstate operations. It is something Surf has wanted since the very beginning, but I believe they had trouble getting it on their operating certificate, not sure why. Encompass will be able to get interstate ops on their certificate, hopefully by the end of the year.

Surf acquired Rise.

Here's another article about the recent development and long term goals:

All-you-can-fly airline Surf Air acquires Texas carrier and plans big expansion - LA Times

David Puddy 06-08-2017 03:48 PM

So will the B200s be replaced by PC12NGs?

mojo6911 06-09-2017 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by David Puddy (Post 2376406)
So will the B200s be replaced by PC12NGs?

Rise uses primarily 350s. They only use the B200 as a backup. Rise operated differently than Surf Air. They didn't have their own airplanes. They partnered with Monarch Air, who obtained a 135 commuter certificate, to provide most of the flying. Other routes were flown by other operators, who could only do less than 5 round trips per day, since they don't have a commuter certificate.

SurfAir can go two ways here:

1. Buy more PC-12s and bring them over and eliminate the Rise setup.

2. Use Rise's model of using existing charter companies to provide their lift.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

David Puddy 06-10-2017 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mojo6911 (Post 2376988)
Rise uses primarily 350s. They only use the B200 as a backup. Rise operated differently than Surf Air. They didn't have their own airplanes. They partnered with Monarch Air, who obtained a 135 commuter certificate, to provide most of the flying. Other routes were flown by other operators, who could only do less than 5 round trips per day, since they don't have a commuter certificate.

SurfAir can go two ways here:

1. Buy more PC-12s and bring them over and eliminate the Rise setup.

2. Use Rise's model of using existing charter companies to provide their lift.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I guess standardization would make sense to control the quality of the service but you never know... How many total PC12s does SA have on order?

Theoneinall 06-11-2017 11:13 PM

All the articles about the acquisition of RISE states Shahani as the CEO. Is this true because last I remember, Jeff Potter was at the realm.

David Puddy 06-12-2017 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Theoneinall (Post 2378013)
All the articles about the acquisition of RISE states Shahani as the CEO. Is this true because last I remember, Jeff Potter was at the realm.

I think the article stated Shahani would continue to run the Texas and Southeast portion of the business..........