Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   SurfAir (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/66586-surfair.html)

intherightseat 06-28-2017 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by skipilot84 (Post 2386554)
And now the rumor is 14-16 FO's. Granted I'm assuming it'll be 7-8 initially with the upgrades & more to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting to think that one has a better chance of getting hired with a wet commercial than with 800+ hours with that big a hire group.

I'd imagine a nice chunk of FOs upgrading leaving them wanting new low-time pilots with a year+ of time before potential upgrade or a bounce to the airlines

Personally, I'd want to stick around, upgrade and get more deeply involved at a small, growing op, no question -- not rushing to the airlines just yet!

skipilot84 06-28-2017 05:29 PM

It's a mixed bag. Some people might show up with the intention of leaving sooner but the QOL of sleeping in your own bed every night tends to result in people sticking around

intherightseat 06-28-2017 06:26 PM

Great point, makes perfect sense.

Well, from what I've heard, it's a stellar gig and great opportunity to grow as a pilot so I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody that showed up with the intent of leaving at 15 stuck around. Needless to say, I'm just a tad jealous of those getting the call for that July class date!

How do you like working with the Apex avionics on the NG?

skipilot84 06-29-2017 08:55 AM

SurfAir

Either way though, no one knows what a hiring board is looking for other than the hiring board itself. So if you think you'd want to work here, apply. It's that simple.

The Honeywell Apex is incredible. I keep learning new stuff all the time.

intherightseat 06-29-2017 05:25 PM

Very very valid point - you and Gretzky have it right - miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sounds like it's time to shoot the puck!

Getting to the fun technical stuff - how would you compare to a Perspective/Avidyne/general G1000-esque glass setup? Favorite part of the system? It's always interesting to hear about the pros-cons of each avionics suite.

Thanks again for all of your help and insight - I'm certain everybody reading appreciates it and I certainly do, too.

Best.

skipilot84 06-29-2017 09:37 PM

I've used the avidyne maybe 5 times in the past but I have over 1000 hours with the G1000, and granted it's been a few years since I've used the G1000, the Apex blows it out of the water. The overall experience isn't even close in my mind. But even the G1000 is at least 10 times more advanced than anything you'll see at a regional unless that regional flies the E170/175.

If you have glass cockpit experience, it greatly helps in your training here. Especially the basic concepts of how an FMS works, the different modes of an auto pilot system, etc. Knowing your way around that stuff takes a lot of stress away during training so you can concentrate on flying. It sounds silly but it's so true

David Puddy 07-03-2017 05:06 PM

How many PC12NGs vs Legacy PC12s?

jetpilot87 07-03-2017 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by David Puddy (Post 2389232)
How many PC12NGs vs Legacy PC12s?

All NGs.

skipilot84 07-03-2017 08:34 PM

Yeah, all NG's, no more coming to work in fear, haha

skipilot84 07-10-2017 07:55 AM

Class of 14 FO's starting today. Also 8 internal upgrades in the pipeline with upgrade ground on both the 15th & 22nd