Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Florida Jet

Old 09-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Originally Posted by Elusive Napkin View Post
It was never meant in a CRM sense... More like a, "hey you are going to empty lavs and polish leading edges, buy newspapers, get the plane ready, and the captain will show up for the flight" I can see where you're coming from though. They always had a good policy of mentoring. Everyone gets typed, and when you fly you do so from the left seat.
Yeah, I was being tongue-in-cheek about the whole CRM thing, but it still strikes me as a negative, rather than a positive, the way this company is being presented.
An owner who tells you you're snake ******? Makes you empty lavs? Polish leading edges? Do personal errands for him? Oh, and he pays you crap too.
Sounds to me like he takes advantage of low time guys, and makes them feel like they're "earning" their jet time.
He and the low timers that accept the "job" with starry-eyed visions of burning Jet-A are symptomatic of what is wrong with this industry.
Unless you're getting hired as an assistant or all-around jack of trades who he'll let fly occasionally, then have some respect for yourself and this profession, and work elsewhere.
You want to "earn" a jet job? Get your commercial, build some hours, network, learn, show interest, be humble, and create an opportunity at at least a decent company. Not one that seems to treat you like this place.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: 757 FO

I get your point about the pay and status of the industry. I'm always one who advocates for raising the bar and improving conditions, etc.

Somehow my take from working at FJS was different. It's very old school around there. He's up front and honest about what the job is from the outset. I don't want to come off as a sycophant, either. It was hard work, and I hated life. That's why I left and went to the regionals. But looking back on it, I realize that I learned a lot about the non-scheduled part of aviation. And it helps cure that other problem with aviation — the me, me, me, me attitude. It knocks out the glossy magazine shiny jet syndrome, and that's refreshing. The way you spoke about getting hired is how I see that job. I networked and worked hard to earn the gig. And it's probably one of the better part 135 jobs in south Florida.

Anyway, that's just my perspective.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Yeah I get your point it just makes me sad that collectively, we've lowered our standards to "Well, at least the owner is upfront and tells you the job is crap." We as pilots should try to raise the bar.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by clear4approach View Post
Yeah I get your point it just makes me sad that collectively, we've lowered our standards to "Well, at least the owner is upfront and tells you the job is crap." We as pilots should try to raise the bar.
Truth - but with all the DIShonesty reported in this industry - at least this guy supposedly tells you the TRUTH. Glass half full?
If told upfront, a pilot has no one to blame if s/he is unhappy with the job, time to move on. I'd rather be told upfront than tried to be sold a **sandwich**.
As a precautionary side bar though - don't do anything for anyone to risk YOUR certificates; so the operation still has to be run correctly on all fronts.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: 757 FO

Originally Posted by clear4approach View Post
I get that, but I don't think we've lowered ourselves to that point. There will always be crap jobs. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? You think every new pilot should just sit it out and wait on FedEx to call? All those guys that hung around the FBO and washed planes for some flight time are lowering the bar now? Towing banners for crap money? Lowered bar? Are we that elitist with our skill set? I sure hope not. I get pattern bargaining and all that, but to bargain you have to have leverage. And leverage is one thing you have none of when you are searching for a job to get experience.

For the record, my point on this particular company is you work hard, and yeah you do a lot of other non-flying stuff. If hard work = crap then that's a whole different thing. You fly extremely well maintained equipment and they don't push the safety envelope like a lot of other operators out there. At least you did 9 years ago when I was out at FXE.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Position: CJ2+ Captain, Part 91

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like not a good place for me, considering i would have to up root my kids, and with 2 kids i would like to not be gone for weeks at a time.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:39 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Typical crappy SoFla 135 job
Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Default South Florida + 135 😝💩💩💩💩

South Florida 135 = Run Far Away from it as fast as you possibly can
Old 01-30-2016, 03:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: L188

Oh yeah FlyLear, except for Hop A Jet and Miami Air?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2016

<BraniffDC8> As a former Crewmember in South Florida I'm speaking with a sound mind.

Now that I see South Florida from my distant Overseas location it all seems that much clearer.