Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

PAX heard audible warnings from cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012

Its actually a tough one to answer. Passengers should be given information on a need to know basis, but you can't B.S. them either. Someone once asked me why I landed when there were two red lights at the end of the runway and if it was safe! I explained that they were simply approach path indicators and ideally you want to see 2 white and 2 red. If the same guy flew with you and heard the "glide slope" then looked out to see 3 or 4 reds, he's gonna know what's up. If you feed him a line he's not going to be happy.
I'm in the camp of riding the glideslope down until you cross the airport fence, and pulling circuit breakers only if a checklist told me to. Too high + too fast = missed approach for me, especially IMC.
Blame it on ATC!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: ATL717A

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
The problem is clear to me. The captain.

The next time you should simply say, "The captain doesn't like me to talk about his inadequacies -- you'll have to ask the captain."

Those aural warnings are there for a reason -- they're not just nuisances. Make the captain fix the condition that triggers the warning.

Exactly. Why are you concerned about apologies? Mr. Stern giving you the stink eye? I'd point to the other guy and say "talk to him."

Sounds like your "captain" needs to work less on lecturing you, and more on his basic flying skills. Man - what nerve.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by flylikesly View Post
You must be one of those guys who flys the ILS when it's clear and a million out following the glide slope chewing up 2000 feet of your available landing distance on a 5000 foot runway... I love flying with newbies, they have no real world application. Welcome newbie!
by all means, state your credentials.......must not be too impressive or you wouldn't have felt the need to a) rub it in with a "newbie" comment and b) say something that most experienced pilots think was moronic.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Undecided

No thanks I will pass...
Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Ah... What a great reminder of why I'm glad to no longer be in the 135 charter world, flying with idiots like your captain. One good thing about your current gig, you'll get a lot of good interview stories out of it. I know I sure did during my time in 135 charter!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM
ATC retired/121 hired

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: 121 FO / glider for fun

Without minimizing the captain's performance, how about something like - the first alarm you heard was during a part of the flight when approached maximum speed allowed. It is important for it to sound before that speed is exceeded in case the crew may not be aware. The second alarm occurred because we had it set up as if we were in the clouds approaching the runway as safety precaution, but obviously we could see the airport.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by ToastAir View Post

Without minimizing the captain's performance, how about something like - the first alarm you heard was during a part of the flight when approached maximum speed allowed. It is important for it to sound before that speed is exceeded in case the crew may not be aware. The second alarm occurred because we had it set up as if we were in the clouds approaching the runway as safety precaution, but obviously we could see the airport.

Lie much?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 PM
ATC retired/121 hired

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: 121 FO / glider for fun

How about the captain screwed up and almost bought the farm?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

As much as pilots think their job is just about technical skills, in the end we are all in Customer Service. People don't like your service, they will take their money elsewhere. No money, no plane, no job. Yes that's exaggerated, but is it really?

Knowing the customer's personality is key to providing the acceptable answer. If you were a CFI outside of a college market, you really get your eyes opened up to catering to individuals needs depending on their type of learning and personality.

In this case you were screwed the second you decided to say anything. Mr. Stern is a negative type that is extremely hard to please until you establish a strong professional relationship built on trust and your ability to be a professional. Trying to cover up things, lying, and not performing are the easiest ways to squander this relationship because he can see right through you. Being honest, taking the high road, and just doing everything in your power to ensure the people in the back are taken care of are what turns these guys on. Letting the Capt handle this is always in your best interest. If it happens again just defer the question by stating that the capt. can explain these things better than you can, or keep your butt planted in the seat until the cant gets out first.

Use the power if suggestion on your captain to encourage behaviors such as descents, speed mgt., etc.... Just ask "want me to add some power, flaps, ....." Anything that will help mitigate the situation and bring a better outcome. Now if you, as co-pilot failed to keep an eye on these aspects, you share the guilt in the mgt of this flight. I fly single pilot, but on the rare occasion I have someone with me, I expect them to keep an eye on everything just as if they were flying, and if I plan on deviating from any plan or procedure, I make them fully aware of it.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by flylikesly View Post
No thanks I will pass...

Seven years of expertise... ever fly jets as Captain?