PAX heard audible warnings from cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM
ATC retired/121 hired

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: 121 FO / glider for fun

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Lie much?

OK so after a few Czech beers it sounded at least decent.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

After the PAX left the captain politely chastised me about I shouldn't say anything to them. Only the captain is supposed to talk to the PAX because some co pilots have said dumb things in the past and he got in trouble from the boss.

From one flight - altitude bust saved by overspeeding the a/c???
G/S warnings on approach.

The FO's probably have said some dumb things, like the truth, and it got him in trouble - CP - "why'd you get an overspeed warning?" He was going to miss the crossing restriction and instead of asking for relief, or using the speedbrakes, he just pushed over and overspeed the airplane.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2010

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
As much as pilots think their job is just about technical skills, in the end we are all in Customer Service. People don't like your service, they will take their money elsewhere. No money, no plane, no job. Yes that's exaggerated, but is it really?

Knowing the customer's personality is key to providing the acceptable answer. If you were a CFI outside of a college market, you really get your eyes opened up to catering to individuals needs depending on their type of learning and personality.

In this case you were screwed the second you decided to say anything. Mr. Stern is a negative type that is extremely hard to please until you establish a strong professional relationship built on trust and your ability to be a professional. Trying to cover up things, lying, and not performing are the easiest ways to squander this relationship because he can see right through you. Being honest, taking the high road, and just doing everything in your power to ensure the people in the back are taken care of are what turns these guys on. Letting the Capt handle this is always in your best interest. If it happens again just defer the question by stating that the capt. can explain these things better than you can, or keep your butt planted in the seat until the cant gets out first.

Use the power if suggestion on your captain to encourage behaviors such as descents, speed mgt., etc.... Just ask "want me to add some power, flaps, ....." Anything that will help mitigate the situation and bring a better outcome. Now if you, as co-pilot failed to keep an eye on these aspects, you share the guilt in the mgt of this flight. I fly single pilot, but on the rare occasion I have someone with me, I expect them to keep an eye on everything just as if they were flying, and if I plan on deviating from any plan or procedure, I make them fully aware of it.
Beautifully stated.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by maddogmax View Post
So you duck under the GS on a clear day? Ask the Asiana crew how that worked for them.
Huge difference between transitioning off the GS (inside of 200') to aim for the fixed distance markers and stalling 30+knots under VREF (off a completely unstable approach).

Carry on.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: FO

fly a 208 for a opertor. The TAWS warings like to play over the loud speaker. Which is really sensative. It will scream traffic while on the ground when a helicopter flies over head. Or when taxing and a plane is opposite direction on short final. Also we sometimes put people in the right seat up front. The low fuel level light illuminates at 250 lbs. Get worried looks all the time. It doesnt help that I am in my early twenties and everyone thinks I am to young to be flying.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by cjgreen91 View Post
fly a 208 for a opertor. The TAWS warings like to play over the loud speaker. Which is really sensative. It will scream traffic while on the ground when a helicopter flies over head. Or when taxing and a plane is opposite direction on short final. Also we sometimes put people in the right seat up front. The low fuel level light illuminates at 250 lbs. Get worried looks all the time. It doesnt help that I am in my early twenties and everyone thinks I am to young to be flying.
Can't you turn off the TAS when on the ground? The LOW FUEL annunciator illuminates when fuel is lower than 175Lbs, and it's very sensitive.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by maddogmax View Post
The crew of NWA 255 pulled the takeoff warning CB so it wouldn't go off on the ground while they were taxiing single engine at high power. They took off with flaps up and killed all but one baby. Those warnings are there for a reason. Usually a deadly one!
You really should get your facts straight before you slander a crew. You claimed one of the theories as fact. In reality, the CB that powered the CAWS suffered an internal failure that led to the power loss to the CAWS, but popping the breaker. It was a known problem by the CB manufacturer, but not reported to operators.

And that is from an investigator who was involved.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: FO

Originally Posted by Gjn290 View Post
Can't you turn off the TAS when on the ground? The LOW FUEL annunciator illuminates when fuel is lower than 175Lbs, and it's very sensitive.
Yes you can. But still be fairly new to the aircraft I usually don't remember until it goes off atleast once.