Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 91 and Low Time
Time building in Pipeline Patrol >

Time building in Pipeline Patrol

Notices
Part 91 and Low Time Jump pilots, crop dusting, and other Part 91 jobs

Time building in Pipeline Patrol

Old 09-24-2019, 02:10 PM
  #11  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 18
Default

Have to ask--during your 5-year run chasing pipes how many emergency/forced/off-field landings?
hrmham is offline  
Old 09-25-2019, 07:06 PM
  #12  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
LastTraintoMEM's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: CE560XL- Captain
Posts: 196
Default

Originally Posted by hrmham View Post
Have to ask--during your 5-year run chasing pipes how many emergency/forced/off-field landings?
None in the PT6 Caravan. "Dependable Engines" is their slogan and I totally back that up!! The biggest danger is being down low where everything is in your airspace. I hit some birds, and had close calls with crop dusters or helo's who don't run mode c. Kind of spooky to be surprised by a yellow plane flying under you when your at 400-500ft!

I did have one emergency landing while riding observer on a Bell Long Ranger powered by a Rolls. A "chip detect" light in a helo means find a spot to land quick! A bearing was coming apart.
LastTraintoMEM is offline  
Old 10-07-2019, 05:41 AM
  #13  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Dec 2011
Position: Really Old School Freight Dog- Fly SW!
Posts: 33
Default

Excellent video!!! This was a beautiful glimpse of life in America and brought back a lot of memories of my time living low
Seaboard World is offline  
Old 10-08-2019, 06:15 PM
  #14  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Default

If you dont mind me asking, how many Hours did you have before you got picked up doing pipline. Im at around 300TT, going to be getting a BFR and IPC soon. Looking to send out resumes Etc Soon.

I know alot of low time pilot jobs are governed by insurance mins. Anyone have any ideas on how lenient they are or how much wiggle room they have with those mins?
Bryguy is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:38 AM
  #15  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
LastTraintoMEM's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: CE560XL- Captain
Posts: 196
Default

Originally Posted by Bryguy View Post
If you dont mind me asking, how many Hours did you have before you got picked up doing pipline. Im at around 300TT, going to be getting a BFR and IPC soon. Looking to send out resumes Etc Soon.

I know alot of low time pilot jobs are governed by insurance mins. Anyone have any ideas on how lenient they are or how much wiggle room they have with those mins?
I was hired on with 1700hrs but the mins at the time were 500, and there were several guys who were around that mark. For some reason later on they bumped it up to 1500 min. Maybe for insurance? Most patrol companies are in the 500-1500 range with some hiring observers with a lot lower times and work their way up. Check out Barr Aviation.
LastTraintoMEM is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:50 PM
  #16  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by LastTraintoMEM View Post
I was hired on with 1700hrs but the mins at the time were 500, and there were several guys who were around that mark. For some reason later on they bumped it up to 1500 min. Maybe for insurance? Most patrol companies are in the 500-1500 range with some hiring observers with a lot lower times and work their way up. Check out Barr Aviation.
I actually found a couple of Job openings with them. They were asking for 500 min and they also state “Do not apply if you Dont meet Min”
I’m guessing I shouldn’t even bother applying for that. What do you think?

They Also have a Camera operator Position...
Bryguy is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:58 AM
  #17  
Actively looking for work
 
hansinla's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Position: ASEL
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by Bryguy View Post
I actually found a couple of Job openings with them. They were asking for 500 min and they also state “Do not apply if you Dont meet Min”
I’m guessing I shouldn’t even bother applying for that. What do you think?

They Also have a Camera operator Position...
Do you have a link or email address that you can share? I looked at their website, but there's no 'careers' page.
hansinla is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 04:01 PM
  #18  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by hansinla View Post
Do you have a link or email address that you can share? I looked at their website, but there's no 'careers' page.
https://www.google.com/search?q=barr...bs&htivrt=jobs


https://www.google.com/search?q=barr...bs&htivrt=jobs
Bryguy is offline  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:32 AM
  #19  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
LastTraintoMEM's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: CE560XL- Captain
Posts: 196
Default

Originally Posted by Bryguy View Post
I actually found a couple of Job openings with them. They were asking for 500 min and they also state “Do not apply if you Dont meet Min”
I’m guessing I shouldn’t even bother applying for that. What do you think?

They Also have a Camera operator Position...
I knew a guy who worked for them and the way he talked the qualifications were insurance mins. I would apply for the camera operator definitely!
LastTraintoMEM is offline  
Old 10-12-2019, 05:03 PM
  #20  
Actively looking for work
 
hansinla's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Position: ASEL
Posts: 41
Default

Thanks Bryguy!
hansinla is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nate25
Flight Schools and Training
1
03-14-2018 01:42 PM
shavetail
Military
65
01-19-2018 05:29 PM
WS6flyer
Part 91 and Low Time
13
08-20-2012 10:19 AM
Elcapiperu
Flight Schools and Training
2
12-22-2008 09:25 PM
TravisUK
Flight Schools and Training
20
08-26-2006 09:05 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread