Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
gzsg's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,715
Default $100,000 Minimum Regional First Officer

I started at a regional and am now in my 30th year as a Delta pilot. (Former Northwest)

To some, I'm sure it sounds crazy that the minimum starting salary for a first officer in a 50 seat jet needs to be $100,000 and $160,000 for a first year captain.

Open your mind and embrace the value of your education, training and experience.

THE MYTH

The regionals can't afford to pay those wages.

Imagine jet fuel goes to $4.00 a gallon. Your management says to the supplier, "we cannot afford $4.00 per gallon, you will have to accept $2.00 per gallon."

Do you think this would fly?

The supply of pilots was so strong that management got used to paying us little to nothing.

THE PARTY IS OVER

LIABILITY

If a $750,000 per year surgeon accidentally kills a patient, what is the liability?

If the pilots of a 50 seat jet make a mistake and kill 53 passengers and crew, what it the liability? Why is the cost?

Tens, if not hundreds of millions.

I ask you, what other job has this kind of responsibility? This kind of pressure?

What does your CEO make?

If he makes a mistake, he could get a paper cut and possibly an infection.

Management makes excellent money to run the airline. To cope with $4.00 jet fuel. To cope with paying professional pilots what they are worth.

THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM

Buying into management's story that they cannot afford to pay you what you are worth is nonsense. The legacy carriers need the feed and will pay for it. They are printing money.

One penny less than these numbers must be a no vote.

Every word from your management's mouth is pure manipulation.

PILOTS COST WHAT PILOTS COST

LANDING FEES COST WHAT LANDING FEES COST

SPARE PARTS COST WHAT SPARE PARTS COST

If you hold your ground, there are two possible outcomes.

1) they will agree to these wages

2) they will move all the flying to mainline

Legacy management cannot have hundreds of cancelled flights every day due to lack of pilots.

You have all the leverage you need and more.

Take a stand and restore the profession forever.

Jerry Fielding

Last edited by gzsg; 08-15-2015 at 04:28 PM.
gzsg is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #2  
Covfefe
 
BeatNavy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsg View Post
I started at a regional and am now in my 30th year as a Delta pilot. (Former Northwest)

To some, I'm sure it sounds crazy that the minimum starting salary for a first officer in a 50 seat jet needs to be $100,000 and $160,000 for a first year captain.

Open your mind and embrace the value of your education, training and experience.

THE MYTH

The regionals can't afford to pay those wages.

Imagine jet fuel goes to $4.00 a gallon. Your management says to the supplier, "we cannot afford $4.00 per gallon, you will have to accept $2.00 per gallon."

Do you think this would fly?

The supply of pilots was so strong that management got used to paying us little to nothing.

THE PARTY IS OVER

LIABILITY

If a $750,000 per year surgeon accidentally kills a patient, what is the liability?

If the pilots of a 50 seat jet make a mistake and kill 53 passengers and crew, what it the liability? Why is the cost?

Tens, if not hundreds of millions.

I ask you, what other job has this kind of responsibility? This kind of pressure?

What does your CEO make?

If he makes a mistake, he could get a paper cut and possibly an infection.

Management makes excellent money to run the airline. To cope with $4.00 jet fuel. To cope with paying professional pilots what they are worth.

THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM

Buying into management's story that they cannot afford to pay you what you are worth is nonsense. The legacy carriers need the feed and will pay for it. They are printing money.

One penny less than these numbers must be a no vote.

Every word from your management's mouth is pure manipulation.

PILOTS COST WHAT PILOTS COST

LANDING FEES COST WHAT LANDING FEES COST

SPARE PARTS COST WHAT SPARE PARTS COST

Take a stand and restore the profession forever.

Jerry Fielding
But...but...the union and management says it's not possible.
BeatNavy is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
chrisreedrules's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: CRJ FO
Posts: 3,746
Default

When mainline raises first year FO pay to 150,000 then maybe we can expect to see first year regional pay go up...

But in all seriousness, never going to happen. There is no shortage of pilots. And there certainly isn't any unity. If regional pilots want to see better wages, better get a new union with the interests of REGIONAL pilots first and foremost on it's agenda.
chrisreedrules is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CloudShredder's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: Canadian Alluminum Tubing Assistant Transporter
Posts: 163
Angry

Pilots are their own worst enemies... People will stab each other in the back at this level to get to a mainline faster than the next guy rather than fight to make the place where there at a place worth being. I refuse to be a part of that problem (short of quitting my job...), but I'm only one person. The airline pilots in industry lack unity. Sad but true.
CloudShredder is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #5  
Line Holder
 
MrERJ's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2015
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsg View Post
I started at a regional and am now in my 30th year as a Delta pilot. (Former Northwest)

To some, I'm sure it sounds crazy that the minimum starting salary for a first officer in a 50 seat jet needs to be $100,000 and $160,000 for a first year captain.

Open your mind and embrace the value of your education, training and experience.

THE MYTH

The regionals can't afford to pay those wages.

Imagine jet fuel goes to $4.00 a gallon. Your management says to the supplier, "we cannot afford $4.00 per gallon, you will have to accept $2.00 per gallon."

Do you think this would fly?

The supply of pilots was so strong that management got used to paying us little to nothing.

THE PARTY IS OVER

LIABILITY

If a $750,000 per year surgeon accidentally kills a patient, what is the liability?

If the pilots of a 50 seat jet make a mistake and kill 53 passengers and crew, what it the liability? Why is the cost?

Tens, if not hundreds of millions.

I ask you, what other job has this kind of responsibility? This kind of pressure?

What does your CEO make?

If he makes a mistake, he could get a paper cut and possibly an infection.

Management makes excellent money to run the airline. To cope with $4.00 jet fuel. To cope with paying professional pilots what they are worth.

THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM

Buying into management's story that they cannot afford to pay you what you are worth is nonsense. The legacy carriers need the feed and will pay for it. They are printing money.

One penny less than these numbers must be a no vote.

Every word from your management's mouth is pure manipulation.

PILOTS COST WHAT PILOTS COST

LANDING FEES COST WHAT LANDING FEES COST

SPARE PARTS COST WHAT SPARE PARTS COST

Take a stand and restore the profession forever.

Jerry Fielding
I really think this is spot on. Great post. However, I do not believe the pilot group is United enough to ever pull off such a feat. If pay were raised to as little as 50,000/year for first year people will start to become complacent with that. Not that people aren't complacent as it is.

Ps. If you really want to look out for regional pilots you should let me get a delta rec.
MrERJ is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
gzsg's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreedrules View Post
When mainline raises first year FO pay to 150,000 then maybe we can expect to see first year regional pay go up...

But in all seriousness, never going to happen. There is no shortage of pilots. And there certainly isn't any unity. If regional pilots want to see better wages, better get a new union with the interests of REGIONAL pilots first and foremost on it's agenda.
I can't argue with that. ALPA has failed the regionals 100%.

In my opinion, Moak and now Canoll, would let you work for all the Oreo's you can eat.

They are puppets for management.

It needs to be a grassroots movement.

Solving their problem is a huge mistake. All your leverage will disappear.
gzsg is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #7  
With the Rebel Forces.
 
Bootleg's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Observing
Posts: 289
Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsg View Post
I can't argue with that. ALPA has failed the regionals 100%.

In my opinion, Moak and now Canoll, would let you work for all the Oreo's you can eat.

They are puppets for management.

It needs to be a grassroots movement.

Solving their problem is a huge mistake. All your leverage will disappear.

Alpo has not only failed the regionals--look what they tried to sell to the Delta pilots. I applaud the Delta guys. They sacked up and took a stand. Now they really have a chance to do something good for this sad profession. And everyone is watching.

Great post btw I completely agree with everything he said.

Best thing that could ever happen is for all the flying to return to mainline.
Bootleg is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #8  
With the Rebel Forces.
 
Bootleg's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Observing
Posts: 289
Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrERJ View Post
I really think this is spot on. Great post. However, I do not believe the pilot group is United enough to ever pull off such a feat. If pay were raised to as little as 50,000/year for first year people will start to become complacent with that. Not that people aren't complacent as it is.

Ps. If you really want to look out for regional pilots you should let me get a delta rec.


Hahahahaha. I see what you did there!! this young man has it together.
Bootleg is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Caveman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudShredder View Post
Pilots are their own worst enemies... rather than fight to make the place where there at a place worth being.
That's the core issue....most would rather flee to greener pastures, where the heavy lifting has ready been done, then roll up their sleeves, and expend the effort necessary that's involved with improving their current professional space.
Caveman is offline  
Old 08-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #10  
Covfefe
 
BeatNavy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
Alpo has not only failed the regionals--look what they tried to sell to the Delta pilots. I applaud the Delta guys. They sacked up and took a stand. Now they really have a chance to do something good for this sad profession. And everyone is watching.

Great post btw I completely agree with everything he said.

Best thing that could ever happen is for all the flying to return to mainline.
Delta pilots have a huge chunk of profit sharing under their current contract so they are in no hurry to vote in garbage and know mgmt needs to pass a TA to reduce the pilots share of PS. We have no such leverage. That said, I wish regional pilots as a whole would band together, demand more unanimously, and burn the FFD model down and send the flying to mainline. By retirements alone, not accounting for growth, we will all be at majors in the next 5 years anyway.
BeatNavy is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Insanity of Concessions in 2014 JungleBus Regional 272 04-10-2015 07:30 PM
Northwest Continues Its Push To Create Regional Subsidiary Chris Major 5 07-05-2013 01:39 PM
40 More EMB 175's, now to Skywest dvhighdrive88 United 74 06-03-2013 08:34 AM
Scope, Scope, Scope! AAflyer Major 101 03-27-2010 07:39 AM
how to beat a speeding ticket Tech Maven Hangar Talk 17 10-30-2006 11:41 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:24 PM.