Notices
Safety Accidents, suggestions on improving safety, etc

A220 Design Flaw

Old 11-25-2022, 02:04 PM
  #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 414
Default A220 Design Flaw

Love how the FAA lets them keep flying with this kind of ****ty design. How do they fix it? Just tell the pilots not to screw up. Sound familiar?

FAA: Inadvertent A220 Autopilot Engagement Almost Caused A Pair Of Catastrophic Incidents (simpleflying.com)
Texasbound is offline  
Old 11-25-2022, 04:01 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Kenworth T680 Captain
Posts: 559
Default

If you kick off the auto throttles while on takeoff roll you set the takeoff thrust manually and wait until airborne to reengage the auto throttles. Reaching up to the glareshield to reengage the auto throttles while rolling down the runway is not a good idea as the autopilot button is directly above it and could be pressed inadvertently.
UNDGUY is offline  
Old 11-25-2022, 05:11 PM
  #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 150
Default

Originally Posted by Texasbound View Post
Sound familiar?
Attempting to re-engage automation when you really ought to be focused on flying the airplane? Why yes, that does sound familiar.
flydrive is offline  
Old 11-25-2022, 08:16 PM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: Weekends off
Posts: 347
Default

Originally Posted by UNDGUY View Post
If you kick off the auto throttles while on takeoff roll you set the takeoff thrust manually and wait until airborne to reengage the auto throttles. Reaching up to the glareshield to reengage the auto throttles while rolling down the runway is not a good idea as the autopilot button is directly above it and could be pressed inadvertently.
Totally get that - but it's happened 38 times?
wankel7 is offline  
Old 11-26-2022, 04:18 AM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Kenworth T680 Captain
Posts: 559
Default

The auto throttles are armed prior to starting the takeoff roll. You slowly push the thrust up until you feel the auto throttles grab the thrust levers and move them to takeoff thrust. If you don't let go of the thrust levers when the auto throttles take over, the auto throttles disengage. People try to push the thrust levers all the way to takeoff thrust manually and disengage the auto throttles. This emergency AD is an awareness campaign. Operators will make their pilots aware of the possible issues. Training curriculum will incorporate these scenarios and instructors will make it a strong point of emphasis during training.
UNDGUY is offline  
Old 11-26-2022, 05:26 AM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Beech Dude's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2017
Posts: 700
Default

Originally Posted by UNDGUY View Post
The auto throttles are armed prior to starting the takeoff roll. You slowly push the thrust up until you feel the auto throttles grab the thrust levers and move them to takeoff thrust. If you don't let go of the thrust levers when the auto throttles take over, the auto throttles disengage. People try to push the thrust levers all the way to takeoff thrust manually and disengage the auto throttles. This emergency AD is an awareness campaign. Operators will make their pilots aware of the possible issues. Training curriculum will incorporate these scenarios and instructors will make it a strong point of emphasis during training.
So AB redesigned their A/THR system for just the 220? Or is the 350 different as well? The levers move now, a la Boeing?
Beech Dude is online now  
Old 11-26-2022, 05:44 AM
  #7  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 36,031
Default

Originally Posted by Beech Dude View Post
So AB redesigned their A/THR system for just the 220? Or is the 350 different as well? The levers move now, a la Boeing?
Airbus designed nothing on the A220... it was built by Bombardier and then re-branded. Probably more similar to a CRJ than actual buses.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 11-26-2022, 05:48 AM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Kenworth T680 Captain
Posts: 559
Default

Originally Posted by Beech Dude View Post
So AB redesigned their A/THR system for just the 220? Or is the 350 different as well? The levers move now, a la Boeing?
Yes. The levers move. The people that are coming from the E170/175/190 tend to disengage them often early in training. Those aircraft allow you to manually adjust the the thrust levers without disengaging the auto throttles, so it takes some getting used to the new system for them.
UNDGUY is offline  
Old 11-26-2022, 05:51 AM
  #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Beech Dude's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2017
Posts: 700
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Airbus designed nothing on the A220... it was built by Bombardier and then re-branded. Probably more similar to a CRJ than actual buses.
Oh yeah. Thats right. Forgot about that whole C100/300 thing. My bad.
Beech Dude is online now  
Old 11-26-2022, 12:56 PM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 5,126
Default

The avionics and systems are absolutely nothing like a CRJ. What’s interesting is why is the button installed n the first place and why there? Why isn’t the standard to arm the AT on the pre-taxi checklist? Or arm using TOGA press, engage the autothrottles with the throttle switches, as on other Collins systems.

Why are pilots finger-dicking the FGP on the roll?
galaxy flyer is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
docav8tor
Safety
10
09-24-2019 01:20 PM
engineer
Flight Schools and Training
4
01-27-2011 11:34 AM
andy171773
Major
56
06-22-2009 01:48 PM
Outlaw2097
Hangar Talk
1
05-08-2009 10:50 AM
wannabepilot
Hangar Talk
2
04-24-2008 09:02 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread