Training issues at SKW

Subscribe
7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  21 
Page 11 of 27
Go to
Quote: I see 04Xx show times on the West Coast, including on my schedule.

That being said, I think it’s not ideal for training as that is when you are building skills using a building block approach and it’s more efficient if the brain is firing on all cylinders. The reality is that sims are expensive and need to operate 24 hours minus maintenance, so the night and early AM sessions are a fact of life in the industry.
Exactly. It’s a bit disingenuous to expect someone *learning* an airplane to do it under terrible environmental circumstances just because you expect someone who has already learned the airplane to be functional at odd hours.
Quote: Exactly. It’s a bit disingenuous to expect someone *learning* an airplane to do it under terrible environmental circumstances just because you expect someone who has already learned the airplane to be functional at odd hours.

The majors have early and late sims too.
Looking at the contract at Republic, there is to be no training before 06:00, no sim before 08:00, no training can start after 22:00 and no checking event can go past 24:00.

Sure I get it that we may have to fly the line before or after the hours of training at SKW but having a checking event until 02:00, especially if you are a east coaster is rough. SKW has what's called "virtual owner ship of the sims and the only time they cannot be used is for 4 hours per day for MX. SKW pays for the other 20 hours and they want every second used for financial reasons. Quantity over quality. Simple as that.

I can say that more often than not the level of training after the mid break at midnight is usually very diminished, regardless of the student efforts. Instructors get tired too. And 04:00 is just simply wrong!
Quote: Looking at the contract at Republic, there is to be no training before 06:00, no sim before 08:00, no training can start after 22:00 and no checking event can go past 24:00.

Sure I get it that we may have to fly the line before or after the hours of training at SKW but having a checking event until 02:00, especially if you are a east coaster is rough. SKW has what's called "virtual owner ship of the sims and the only time they cannot be used is for 4 hours per day for MX. SKW pays for the other 20 hours and they want every second used for financial reasons. Quantity over quality. Simple as that.

I can say that more often than not the level of training after the mid break at midnight is usually very diminished, regardless of the student efforts. Instructors get tired too. And 04:00 is just simply wrong!
No wonder Republic keeps calling OO asking for some sim time.. and another reason they are backed up. My friend there say they are pushing people into there grace months....
Quote: The majors have early and late sims too.
You’re also most likely seasoned veteran of the airline industry or the military at that point. You’re not learning your first turbine airplane after flight instructing. Knowing what to expect is half the battle.
No, for the FAA it is <70%

Quote: I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the FAA deems anything <80% a failure. The FAA approves the SkyWest training, ergo <80% = fail.

I struggled a bit with my SkyWest initial in 2006 on the CRJ coming from flight instruction. But I figured it out enough to get through it with a douche upgrade sim partner (whom I thought was a great guy). Make it happen...if you can't, maybe it is not for you.

I really believe Camielle had the hiring algo down pat in 2006. Now, they do not care who they hire. Make it or don't. It is all on you now. 98% of those failures probably would not have been hired 15 years ago.
Quote: No, for the FAA it is <70%
I stand corrected then.
Quote: I stand corrected then.
Which again, is basically a D+. I'm glad were holding as little higher standard than that.
I'll be that guy. The FAA signed and influenced the training program. So 80% is passing for the FAA. I doubt a 70 is passing at other air carriers.
The airline itself sets the parameter that indicates a passing mark and it is then FAA approved.

If that's 10% or higher and it's FAA approved so be it. SKW chose that value to be 80%, you guys are making this more difficult than it has to be.
7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  21 
Page 11 of 27
Go to