thoughts on stalls

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to
New article on the topic
Quote: New article on the topic
Quote:
At this point, the stickshaker activated, the autopilot independently disconnected, and the pilot increased power and used full left rudder to arrest the roll.
And here we go...
Round and round we go....
Ailerons an spoilerons do a much better job at high AOA. Many pilots would be better off engaging the gust lock and drinking some coffee instead of trying to fight an upset situation.
Quote: Ailerons an spoilerons do a much better job at high AOA. Many pilots would be better off engaging the gust lock and drinking some coffee instead of trying to fight an upset situation.
Ailerons (or spoilers for that matter) for the transport category aircraft that stall near the tips first and may be experiencing slideslip from yaw to further decay the AOA? During the extended envelope training a key point was made that reducing the AOA and unloading the aircraft had been "washed out" of training over the years, to the point where when wings drop people were trying to "ride the shaker" and force the wings back up with rudder an ailerons, never correcting the AOA issue in the first place, either at all, or to the extent necessary, given the very gradual C/L curve of transport category wings (not shaped like your GA Cessna). I don't agree about doing nothing, that gradual curve where the slope is nearly flat has caused a lot of "not sure what is going on?" situations due to not actively reducing AOA. A lot of those "wild ride" stall/yaw incidents were due to never (significantly) reducing the AOA.
I'm not a fan of the engineering behind the stick shaker activation. I would much rather have something along the lines of the Q-Alpha energy state indicator or similar. https://www.kansas.com/news/business...132377769.html
It also indicates how much float you will have at round out, possibly preventing runway overruns.
Quote: Ailerons an spoilerons do a much better job at high AOA. Many pilots would be better off engaging the gust lock and drinking some coffee instead of trying to fight an upset situation.
That does depend on the aircraft though.
Quote: That does depend on the aircraft though.
Just the idea that someone would slam in a bunch of rudder while stalling is...appalling
Quote: Just the idea that someone would slam in a bunch of rudder while stalling is...appalling
True. I was specifically thinking of my former aircraft where at HIGH AOA (30+) you intentionally used the rudders for control. Influence with a tad of aileron; but control the turn/bank with the rudders. Once you were actually out-of-control then the second step of the immediate action was 'feet off the rudders'

Umm no, just the opposite.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to