Glider Time

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: Cliff notes answer:

It appears that time spent in an ultralights that are LSA (Light Sport Aircraft) counts towards 'total time' and maybe some single engine time as well. This is based on the definition of ultralight as an aircraft and it's got a lawnmower engine, so technically it fits the criteria.

Any pro want to weigh in? I don't fly ultralights, so I've got 0 experience in this arena.
This is painful to watch. Really.

For regulatory issues, go to the government website at ecfr.gov. It's updated, and correct.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...1_152&rgn=div8

You'll be looking up 14 CFR 61.52, Use of Aeronautical Experience Obtained in Ultralight Vehicles.

I am not going to copy the entire regulation subsection here. Look it up and read it.

Ultralight time can be counted toward a recreational pilot certificate, recreational instructor certificate or private pilot certificate (with weight shift privileges).

It does not count for what you are seeking.

Do not try to inflate your time with the use of an ultralight, and by attempting to call it total time but not anything else. You'll have to cite category and class, and you'll look bad because you'll appear to be doing exactly what you'd be doing which is padding your logbook.
Let's make this clear, an ultralight isn't an LSA and and LSA isn't an ultralight. A true part 103 ultralight is a single seat, non registered aircraft. An LSA is registered and requires a certificate to fly.

2 seat ultralights don't exist anymore, for what its worth.
Quote: Let's make this clear, an ultralight isn't an LSA and and LSA isn't an ultralight. A true part 103 ultralight is a single seat, non registered aircraft. An LSA is registered and requires a certificate to fly.

Are you guys saying I can't build a flying lawnmower to build time? Damn it.
Quote:
Do they not? I flew in one about 15 years ago, what a fun ride that was. It was a 2-seat ultralight on floats. As we cruised at approximately 30' AGL above the Sacramento River on a hot sunny weekend, women sunning themselves on nearby boats would routinely give us a topless glimpse as we chugged by. Wish I'd had a camera.
Quote: Do they not? I flew in one about 15 years ago, what a fun ride that was. It was a 2-seat ultralight on floats. As we cruised at approximately 30' AGL above the Sacramento River on a hot sunny weekend, women sunning themselves on nearby boats would routinely give us a topless glimpse as we chugged by. Wish I'd had a camera.
Not legally. That's what LSA was all about, most 2 seat ultralights weren't ever part 103 legal, yet they were operated that way. LSA was a way to regulate that segment.
Quote: Not legally. That's what LSA was all about, most 2 seat ultralights weren't ever part 103 legal, yet they were operated that way. LSA was a way to regulate that segment.
This was part of my confusion. I was looking at 2 seater ultralights and calling them ultralights, but they are infact LSA. A confusing segment of aviation to be sure.

Not interested in these for my logbook. I'm getting the hours the CFI route.

I was curious about ultralights as an inexpensive method of flying with my kids. It'd be nice for General Aviation if time in a larger 2 seat ultralight (Light Sport Aircraft) would be useful in obtaining a PPL and count toward general TT metrics on ATP.
Quote: This was part of my confusion. I was looking at 2 seater ultralights and calling them ultralights, but they are infact LSA. A confusing segment of aviation to be sure.

Not interested in these for my logbook. I'm getting the hours the CFI route.

I was curious about ultralights as an inexpensive method of flying with my kids. It'd be nice for General Aviation if time in a larger 2 seat ultralight (Light Sport Aircraft) would be useful in obtaining a PPL and count toward general TT metrics on ATP.
Well time in an LSA does count as TT towards all rains, but I think you are confusing the definition of LSA.
Quote: Well time in an LSA does count as TT towards all rains, but I think you are confusing the definition of LSA.
My mistake. A "two seat trike" is an LSA. I need to stop calling trikes 'ultralights'... some are and others are LSAs.
Building ME time:

What if I wear a hood at night?
Quote: Building ME time:

What if I wear a hood at night?
Does it have an N# on the tail and come with enough gauges and dials to land at IAD?
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to