Profit sharing for 2019

Subscribe
14  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 
Page 24 of 29
Go to
Quote: ^^^yep they are a domestic airline with a JV world presence.
While I agree Delta has a JV problem, they are number one US carrier across the Atlantic. I don't know the stats across the Pacific but I'm sure they aren't nowhere as good. To say they don't have a world presence, however, is deceptive.
Quote: While I agree Delta has a JV problem, they are number one US carrier across the Atlantic. I don't know the stats across the Pacific but I'm sure they aren't nowhere as good. To say they don't have a world presence, however, is deceptive.
Thats all they really have......

They have shrunk in the Pacific.... outside of JVs.
They don’t have have a large presence to Latin America outside of JVs......
Does delta Reimburse for drying cleaning, crew meals, laundry during training...please add any others im missing.
I was hired by delta and United in the same month several years ago. When I take my 777 pay rate and multiply it by 1.08%, it beats the 767 I could hold there multiplied at 1.16%, by $30/hour. Plus I have way more enjoyable jumpseat experiences on UA metal. Actually, any metal. And I don’t wear a hat...but that’s only because it was stolen from the bag room top rack.
Quote: While I agree Delta has a JV problem, they are number one US carrier across the Atlantic. I don't know the stats across the Pacific but I'm sure they aren't nowhere as good. To say they don't have a world presence, however, is deceptive.
number 1 across the Atlantic to AMS and CDG to feed KLM and Air France. Not to mention all the flying Virgin does for them.
Quote: I think in addition to all of this they simply have a better profit sharing calculation - but I don’t know. I’m not here to cry about our profit sharing, I’m happy with what I get. Just sharing the data point.

Quote: I agree with you because their profit sharing is not based on profit margin. It’s solely based on total profit. Anything above $2.5 billion is paid at 20% I believe.
This from another forum . . .

. . . on the question of Delta versus United profit sharing. Delta has the same formula EXCEPT they get 20% of the profit above $2.5 billion and United gets 20% of the profit above 6.9% of revenue. You can see this year we don't start getting 20% of the profit until a higher threshold of 6.9% x $43 billion or about $3 billion.

With that in mind if we had Delta's formula our profit sharing compared to above would be:

($0.250/$8.194)=3% + (($4.468-2.5)x0.20)/$8.194=4.8% = 7.8% (EDIT: this makes more sense if you look at this post - Profit sharing for 2019 )

so Delta's formula would increase our PS by 0.5%

The primary driver of Delta's higher PS checks is Delta's higher overall profit, NOT the formula,

BUT . . .

the question remains why did UAL ALPA agree to this. Answer - the Profit Sharing language at UAL is a carry over from the pre-merger days when UAL had annual revenues around $20 bil so at that time the threshold for 20% profit sharing was only 6.9% x $20 bil or about $1.5 billion. So it was a better Profit Sharing formula than Delta's when we negotiated it. If the negotiators knew that the clause would stick for more than a decade as revenues doubled maybe they'd have gone the Delta route, but who knew. I'm sure it's an item on the negotiators list.

Finally, Delta has major structural cost advantages that United can never achieve. Namely we are about 90% unionized and they are about 90% NOT unionized, and our hubs on average are more expensive on a per flight basis even considering the premium we get for operating out of the expensive hubs. Those 2 items alone give Delta about a $1 billion cost advantage. There is no way for United to lower costs to equal Delta in those categories. This is NOT saying our management can't do better, it's just saying Delta is starting each year with a $1 bil structural advantage.
Quote: This from another forum . . .

. . . on the question of Delta versus United profit sharing. Delta has the same formula EXCEPT they get 20% of the profit above $2.5 billion and United gets 20% of the profit above 6.9% of revenue. You can see this year we don't start getting 20% of the profit until a higher threshold of 6.9% x $43 billion or about $3 billion.

With that in mind if we had Delta's formula our profit sharing compared to above would be:

($0.250/$8.194)=3% + (($4.468-2.5)x0.20)/$8.194=4.8% = 7.8% (EDIT: this makes more sense if you look at this post - Profit sharing for 2019 )

so Delta's formula would increase our PS by 0.5%

The primary driver of Delta's higher PS checks is Delta's higher overall profit, NOT the formula,

BUT . . .

the question remains why did UAL ALPA agree to this. Answer - the Profit Sharing language at UAL is a carry over from the pre-merger days when UAL had annual revenues around $20 bil so at that time the threshold for 20% profit sharing was only 6.9% x $20 bil or about $1.5 billion. So it was a better Profit Sharing formula than Delta's when we negotiated it. If the negotiators knew that the clause would stick for more than a decade as revenues doubled maybe they'd have gone the Delta route, but who knew. I'm sure it's an item on the negotiators list.

Finally, Delta has major structural cost advantages that United can never achieve. Namely we are about 90% unionized and they are about 90% NOT unionized, and our hubs on average are more expensive on a per flight basis even considering the premium we get for operating out of the expensive hubs. Those 2 items alone give Delta about a $1 billion cost advantage. There is no way for United to lower costs to equal Delta in those categories. This is NOT saying our management can't do better, it's just saying Delta is starting each year with a $1 bil structural advantage.
^^^ This

in addition, DL’s hubs are a lot less competitive than UAL’s - resulting in less pricing power and margin pressure.

ATL is another unmatched fortress hub - unique to DL.

And finally, DL is doing a better job of innovating and driving a premium product. That is something that UAL could and should match.
Quote: Does delta Reimburse for drying cleaning, crew meals, laundry during training...please add any others im missing.
No hotel rooms for new hires in training. Seriously. New hires looking for crash pads before day 1. Indoc is covered, but you’re on your own for systems. “Welcome to Delta!”

They travel to training in coach.

Until recently, 117 extensions were assumed and scheduled. Not extending was a big deal.

Every airline has their positive and negatives. Their profit sharing sure is great, and our new hires don’t get it unless they work a full year. But I’m glad I’m at UAL.

You should go read their threads. It’s hilarious.

”Let’s not spend negotiating capital on new hire hotels!”

Lodging while in training at Delta!
Quote: ”Let’s not spend negotiating capital on new hire hotels!”
Maybe if we stopped paying our newhires PS, we could pay for their hotels. But seriously, yes we should be paying for their hotels.
Quote: Maybe if we stopped paying our newhires PS, we could pay for their hotels. But seriously, yes we should be paying for their hotels.
FedEx gets neither, so....
14  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 
Page 24 of 29
Go to