Atlas Houston

Subscribe
9  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 
Page 19 of 21
Go to
Quote: No stall recognition and recovery training has you push 40 degrees nose down.
What gives you the idea that he could correctly do anything? Trained or otherwise?
Quote: No stall recognition and recovery training has you push 40 degrees nose down.
They guy had a history of abrupt, impulsive reactions in training. Kind of fits with that.

You can see why suicide was considered: he went hard-over nose down, while the CA broke the shear bolt trying to over-ride it.

I think they considered these aggregate items to reach the conclusion:
- Training history of innapropriate, impulsive actions.
- Initiating event of accidental TOGA activation. No reason for a suicidal pilot to hit TOGA.
- Lack of any obvious motive, ideation, or other indicators of suicide. It doesn't usually just happen instantly and impulsively, everybody in the mil has had the signs drilled into them and this doesn't fit. I suspected suicide initially when the aircraft data came out, but I expected they would find some corroborating info in his background or on the CVR. They didn't.
Quote: You can see why suicide was considered: he went hard-over nose down, while the CA broke the shear bolt trying to over-ride it.
This is a great example of why "using your words" - promptly and assertively - matters.

You know what was never on the CVR transcript? MY AIRCRAFT
Atlas Houston
Wait for the final findings. NTSB shouldn’t be putting information out in bits and pieces. Preliminary findings followed by final findings, sure. It’s obvious prior training and training in general is the largest and key consideration but context is paramount. Yes the CA “should say” my controls, but could he? If he wasn’t shoulder strapped in yet did his head hit the ceiling? Everything is speculation until there is context.

Cheers,
blink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: Wait for the final findings. NTSB shouldn’t be putting information out in bits and pieces. Preliminary findings followed by final findings, sure. It’s obvious prior training and training in general is the largest and key consideration but context is paramount. Yes the CA “should say” my controls, but could he? If he wasn’t shoulder strapped in yet did his head hit the ceiling? Everything is speculation until there is context.

Cheers,
blink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The final with the probable cause and contributing factors is out. All context. All the facts.

Go read it if you actually care to.
Quote: This is a great example of why "using your words" - promptly and assertively - matters.

You know what was never on the CVR transcript? MY AIRCRAFT
Agree.

And we'll never know.

But with WHAT WE DO KNOW, would it have mattered with this FO?
Quote: Wait for the final findings. NTSB shouldn’t be putting information out in bits and pieces. Preliminary findings followed by final findings, sure.
We're talking about the final report. It's not technically final but the board already announced their formal findings and the report will reflect that after minor edits. Nothing significant will change.

https://go.usa.gov/xfbcb
How in any way was the captain at fault here aside from letting his moron of an FO touch anything besides comm 2 for the entire flight? Easy for Mr. Chairman with his Connecticut horned eye glasses to sit in his nice comfy chair thinking that simply stating “my controls” fixes all, but I’d like to see anyone recover that. Aside from throat punching Mr. Washout as soon as the GA was selected I don’t see how 40° nose down is salvageable when everything hits the ceiling and you’re just trying to figure out what’s going on.
Quote: How in any way was the captain at fault here aside from letting his moron of an FO touch anything besides comm 2 for the entire flight? Easy for Mr. Chairman with his Connecticut horned eye glasses to sit in his nice comfy chair thinking that simply stating “my controls” fixes all, but I’d like to see anyone recover that. Aside from throat punching Mr. Washout as soon as the GA was selected I don’t see how 40° nose down is salvageable when everything hits the ceiling and you’re just trying to figure out what’s going on.

I totally agree.
Quote: How in any way was the captain at fault here aside from letting his moron of an FO touch anything besides comm 2 for the entire flight? Easy for Mr. Chairman with his Connecticut horned eye glasses to sit in his nice comfy chair thinking that simply stating “my controls” fixes all, but I’d like to see anyone recover that. Aside from throat punching Mr. Washout as soon as the GA was selected I don’t see how 40° nose down is salvageable when everything hits the ceiling and you’re just trying to figure out what’s going on.
I don't know, I'd vote for throat-punch and say that planes don't do anything all that fast. This didn't pitch down to 40 degrees in 2 seconds and hit the ground 4 seconds after that. The "ride" to the ground may have been a relatively short amount of time, but it took 13 seconds just to pitch to -40 degrees and if the captain was at all clued into what was going on, he should have intervened and recovered it. Hell, even at -40 he could have likely been fine it was immediately reversed, it was held nose-down in that approximate pitch for almost 10 seconds. If the CA reached the level of distraction that prevented him from doing this...that in itself is troubling.
9  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 
Page 19 of 21
Go to