Regional collapse

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 6
Go to
So just not Southwest.
Quote: JetBlue is an ULCC. They may have some frilly things as compared to Spirit and Allegiant, but they are still an ULCC. Their model is based on cheap tickets.
LCC and ULCC designation have to do with business model and cost structure. It has nothing to do with ticket prices. It certainly has a nice marketing ring to passengers who have no idea what it means and assume that “ultra low cost carrier” must mean cheap tickets, but that’s not what makes a ULCC.
Quote: JetBlue is an ULCC. They may have some frilly things as compared to Spirit and Allegiant, but they are still an ULCC. Their model is based on cheap tickets.
No not even close.
To keep Captains around, sans seniority number, perhaps pay needs to vastly exceed mainline. Starting pay $500,000. Why else would would the majority of Captains stick around?
Quote: To keep Captains around, sans seniority number, perhaps pay needs to vastly exceed mainline. Starting pay $500,000. Why else would would the majority of Captains stick around?
That still won't keep people, extreme pay only makes it more likely to be shut down when the industry cycles. Only seniority at the mainline partner will work.
Quote: That still won't keep people, extreme pay only makes it more likely to be shut down when the industry cycles. Only seniority at the mainline partner will work.
Lol prove it? I keep hearing that from a very specific group of regional pilots but that would turn Delta’s 100+ street hires a month into 0.

I know that would be in your best interest being at Endeavor, but Delta would become a worse step up from the regionals than any ACMI carrier for mil and street applicants.
Quote: Jetblue isn't an ULCC, they have better onboard service than AA.
JetBlue is definitely the best AA regional.

Honestly, if the regional model is going to succeed in the near future, pilot pay will have to compete with JetBlue. That's still a big if.
Some great thoughts on this thread.

I too think the 1000 hour 121 for upgrade may sink a regional or two this summer. Junior manning won’t work. People will quit. Perhaps it sinks the whole business model. Maybe Delta even absorbs it’s regional group to protect the hub & spoke.

Today’s pay for regional pilots is extreme compared to just a few years ago. Triple from 2010. The regional business model was built on paying pilots $15/hour and wanting them to leave. Well? Guess what. In truth you don’t need to pay FOs more. Pay captains like mainline year two FOs. $130ish. Logical.

The first company to try and junior man upgrade is probably the most vulnerable to lasting change. Will it be OO?
Quote: The first company to try and junior man upgrade is probably the most vulnerable to lasting change.
I wonder how many Envoy pilots read this and laughed.
It’s going to be an interesting year for sure. As far as the 1000 hr sic requirement, I hope like hell that never changes. I’ve flown with far too many FO’s that have 8-900 hours and give me the willies that very soon they will be at the helm as PIC.
Any less and we’ll be auguring RJ’s in like the old game of lawn darts.
I’d rather the regionals fold then lower the standards.
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 6
Go to