Which Spirit Base Do You Want?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 3 of 6
Go to
Quote: I thought I heard Breeze wants an SLC hub? Honestly would love to see JB move in there heavy and hard. But I'd have to see it to believe it...
Currently Breeze is operating out of PVU about an hour south. But I think they want into SLC when gates become available
Quote: They like to have crew bases on both ends of Mint flights when possible to minimize delays/cancellations.
There's a whole part of the network where that isn't the case on Mint flying so no...
If you were a young junior FO would you leave for a legacy that you would have to always commute to or stay at JB and live in base if given the opportunity?
Quote: If you were a young junior FO would you leave for a legacy that you would have to always commute to or stay at JB and live in base if given the opportunity?
Depends on if you wanted to fly widebody. That probably isn’t going to happen at JB. But a YOUNG FO, particularly one living in base, will wind up with more than adequate toys and retirement, assuming they keep the number of exes they are paying alimony down to a reasonable level. But money is more important to some people than others. So is collecting exes…
Quote: If you were a young junior FO would you leave for a legacy that you would have to always commute to or stay at JB and live in base if given the opportunity?
Live in base no doubt. It’s a different job vs commuting.

ideally you’d get hired at a legacy and move to one of their junior bases though
Depends on the base and where you'd be happy living. I live in NY because the schedule flexibility and opportunity to earn extra is hard to ignore at this stage in my life, but it's difficult having to pick between living in a cramped, high cost of living city or commuting and watching your trip (and life) quality degrade.

If you live in base and have some seniority, IMO the 320 trip quality at JetBlue is comparatively better than my 737/320 friends at United at the same relative seniority (who also live in base), and they're mostly stuck with their schedules as it's far more difficult to drop and trade over there. The advantage for them, however, is they're living in a state that has 0 income tax and you can actually afford a home, unlike NYC. That's a significant advantage.
Quote: Depends on the base and where you'd be happy living. I live in NY because the schedule flexibility and opportunity to earn extra is hard to ignore at this stage in my life, but it's difficult having to pick between living in a cramped, high cost of living city or commuting and watching your trip (and life) quality degrade.

If you live in base and have some seniority, IMO the 320 trip quality at JetBlue is comparatively better than my 737/320 friends at United at the same relative seniority (who also live in base), and they're mostly stuck with their schedules as it's far more difficult to drop and trade over there. The advantage for them, however, is they're living in a state that has 0 income tax and you can actually afford a home, unlike NYC. That's a significant advantage.
Hopefully we will have a better selection of bases that offer JFK flexibility in zero tax states like FL, NV, TX. My assessment of my friends at other carriers is pretty spot on with yours. I personally am hoping Dallas or South Florida for my future base. It will be nice to have options that the merger should provide.
Quote: Hopefully we will have a better selection of bases that offer JFK flexibility in zero tax states like FL, NV, TX. My assessment of my friends at other carriers is pretty spot on with yours. I personally am hoping Dallas or South Florida for my future base. It will be nice to have options that the merger should provide.
I agree. I'm really happy at JetBlue; I'm about two years on property and have little trouble adjusting my schedule and picking the type of flying I like. I don't think I'll have quite that flexibility at a legacy, even in base, so I'm skeptical the grass is actually greener in that regard.

If we can expand our base footprint outside of the coastal cities, combined with improved QOL elements/pay in the JCBA, JetBlue could become quite unique (provided one isn't chasing a WB).
Quote: I agree. I'm really happy at JetBlue; I'm about two years on property and have little trouble adjusting my schedule and picking the type of flying I like. I don't think I'll have quite that flexibility at a legacy, even in base, so I'm skeptical the grass is actually greener in that regard.

If we can expand our base footprint outside of the coastal cities, combined with improved QOL elements/pay in the JCBA, JetBlue could become quite unique (provided one isn't chasing a WB).
Good info. I'm on the Spirit side and considering staying or leaving for a legacy (I live in the NYC area already). The UA peeps I talk to say that UA is amazing and that I should come. The JB peeps say that JB is great and that I'm going to love it after the merge. I love riding on jetBlue. United is meh. I'm still mad at them for what they did to Xjet. I can do Euro flying and drive to work at either airline. The only thing making me feel like leaving is the "what if the merger fails or is otherwise a disaster?" thing.
Quote: Good info. I'm on the Spirit side and considering staying or leaving for a legacy (I live in the NYC area already). The UA peeps I talk to say that UA is amazing and that I should come. The JB peeps say that JB is great and that I'm going to love it after the merge. I love riding on jetBlue. United is meh. I'm still mad at them for what they did to Xjet. I can do Euro flying and drive to work at either airline. The only thing making me feel like leaving is the "what if the merger fails or is otherwise a disaster?" thing.
Tell me the equipment you'd be flying with both airlines to Europe and the average pay/PS you'll get at each.
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 3 of 6
Go to