Whale is in Memphis. So where to eat!

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to
Hello Everyone,

Well, I've arrived here now. Been here about a week, got lost and ended up near Graceland trying to find a Walmart. Even ended up in Mississippi once

Anyway, a couple of places I'm interested in know. WHERE IS THE GREAT BBQ? I've been to Corkey's; so-so. So where is the "good places"
  • BBQ
  • Chicken - Fried
  • Whole Hog

Since Cordova got annexed, I understand Collierville and points east are best. Any locals please fill me in. I need to find a home for the family.

It's great to be here and hope to see y'all in the school house.

Whale
Aaaaaaaaah Corky's
BBQ you'll get a million opinions. I like Central Ave in Mid town and Germantown Commisary in germantown.

Fried Chicken- Gus's Either Downtown or I think there's one on germantown Parkway Somewhere.

Where to Live..
You'll get a million opinions on this one too, some rancorous. I've lived Downtown and G Town. Downtown is great if your single or can afford some thing nice on Mud Island. Germantown is a typical suburb and a little closer to work than Collierville, although you can get something a little newer for less money in collierville. It was just too far out for me.

Lots of people like midtown and East memphis too.
I heard on Travel Channel "Man vs. Food" that Rendezous was great for Ribs. I personally prefer "wet" vs. dry.

Whale...
If I was working in the Gucci Bldg I would not blow off Mississippi so quickly. They got a walmart and a hooters down there. Not to mention you don't have to drive as far to find a house that can never be annexed into the city.
Central BBQ
BBQ -
Neely's on Mt Moriah - not the greatest part of town.
Central BBQ
Germantown Commissary
Interstate BBQ - a classic - you really should try the BBQ spaghetti
Willinghams'
Tops BBQ on Union

Chicken -
There's also a Gus's in Collierville

I can get to the airport in about 25 min from C'ville. Schools are great there. However, I'd definitely get a realtor. There are a few spots in Collierville that have really nice houses but you probably don't want to be there.... (south of town, also around the mall). PM me if you want any other info on areas and restaurants.
I second the recommendation for Rendezvous. Right near the Peabody downtown. Top notch Memphis dry rub ribs.
Does Slick Willy's BBQ still exist over the bridge in W. Memphis? Its been about 12 years since I've been. If so I remeber it being real good BBQ.
I'll throw my vote in for Central and on the chicken front, definitely Gus.

Rendezvous is nothing great, especially when you throw in the hassles of difficult parking, a long wait, and higher prices.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to