Guns!

Subscribe
12  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26 
Page 22 of 29
Go to
............................delete
Any recommendations for a long gun in 308 Winchester? Springfield Armory's M1A matchgrade is nice, but out of my price range. Bolt action is fine, but it needs to be able to consistently hit targets at 500m.
Quote: Any recommendations for a long gun in 308 Winchester? Springfield Armory's M1A matchgrade is nice, but out of my price range. Bolt action is fine, but it needs to be able to consistently hit targets at 500m.

I got to fire a few round through one of these a while back, it was a work of art.

Nor-Cal Precision Nighthawk Precision Sniper Rifle Review

Unfortunately, Jerry Rice retired and is no longer building but I have seen a few come up for sale now and then.
Quote: Any recommendations for a long gun in 308 Winchester? Springfield Armory's M1A matchgrade is nice, but out of my price range. Bolt action is fine, but it needs to be able to consistently hit targets at 500m.

I've had really good luck with a .308 Savage 10FP, Heavy Barrel 24'' ..right on the money every time. The other day, groups at 200 yards have been <3/4'' using Hornady BTHP 168gr Match.... and oddly enough they've been almost as good using Federal 150gr SP.

Not a very expensive rifle.. .mine doesn't have the really fancy optics on there, just a Mueller Mil-dot 3-10X ... it has worked awesome, very clear.. does the job for me everytime. All in all with the Harris Bi-pod, rifle, glass it didn't come to more than ~ $1100
This thread should be retitled "Whose ready for the zombie apocalypse?"
As previously mentioned the Savage 10FP is an excellent bang-for-the-buck, and the Remington 700 SPS Varmint/Tactical or the 700P are also very good long-range rifles.

That said, as with any weapon system, the skill of the operator is even more important out to 500m than the rifle and ammunition choices....
tobystactical.com: Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec

Check out the remington 700ss5r milspec

You should pair this rifle with a nice scope if you want to hit out to 500m plus.

I would recomend a Leupold Mrk 4 10X scope. I don't like variable power scopes because changing the magnification will affect the POI. Also mill dots are crucial if your doing any kind of range estimation.

In this case the scope may be more costly that the rifle. However, I think this may be one of the cheapest ways to hit targets at 500m. Plus if you wind up getting serious and moving up to .338 the scope will serve you well out to ranges 1000m plus.
might wanna check out the new Savage Edge
Thanks for the info, guys.
Quote: This thread should be retitled "Whose ready for the zombie apocalypse?"
They only die if you hit them with a headshot.
12  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26 
Page 22 of 29
Go to