Tool of the day

Subscribe
33  533  933  983  1023  1029  1030  1031  1032  1033  1034  1035  1036  1037  1043  1083  1133 
Page 1033 of 1239
Go to
Quote: Not really, ran up last minute wasn't really expecting to get on (we all know might as well try until it pulls away) but since the captain was at the gate thought he might at least feign an interest in helping me out. Nada.
Hmmm.. Not expecting to get on... How last minute were you? Did the crew have their numbers? Were all pax and nov-revs, if any onboard with the main entry way ready to be closed? Last leg of a six leg day? Was the captain giving line training? Did the captain want to finish the day to catch a flight to his home town for his days off? Were you worth the captain for being written up for a delay so you could get on his flight?

File a report with your company’s jump seat coordinator if you think you have a legitimate gripe.
Quote: Not really, ran up last minute wasn't really expecting to get on (we all know might as well try until it pulls away) but since the captain was at the gate thought he might at least feign an interest in helping me out. Nada.
Yeah, showing up last minute is fairly relevant context. Sure, I've shown up way late because I'd just stepped off another flight, and been pleasantly surprised that they took the extra effort to get me on the plane. But it's whole 'nother thing to adopt the attitude that the captain has the obligation to override his co-worker who is just following a reasonable policy, potentially causing the agent to redo work already completed.
Quote: Yeah, showing up last minute is fairly relevant context. Sure, I've shown up way late because I'd just stepped off another flight, and been pleasantly surprised that they took the extra effort to get me on the plane. But it's whole 'nother thing to adopt the attitude that the captain has the obligation to override his co-worker who is just following a reasonable policy, potentially causing the agent to redo work already completed.
Wrong. Didn't you know the world revolves around velosnow?

/s
Quote: Wrong. Didn't you know the world revolves around velosnow?

/s
It does? Oh, that changes everything. My bad!!!
Quote: Yeah, showing up last minute is fairly relevant context. Sure, I've shown up way late because I'd just stepped off another flight, and been pleasantly surprised that they took the extra effort to get me on the plane. But it's whole 'nother thing to adopt the attitude that the captain has the obligation to override his co-worker who is just following a reasonable policy, potentially causing the agent to redo work already completed.
Yeah he isn't really standing on firm ground on this one. But as a CA, I would have gotten the guy on if mathematically feasible, even if it took a delay.
Time lost is $. Just a matter of degree. Or the willingness to notice.
Quote: Yeah he isn't really standing on firm ground on this one. But as a CA, I would have gotten the guy on if mathematically feasible, even if it took a delay.
That's fine, and I too have taken delays and such to get a jumpseater on when I could have more easily not done so. It's a huge leap from doing that out of your own good will; to you having an obligation to do that, and you're "tool of the day" if you don't.
Whew, tough crowd. It has far less to do with me not getting on than his meek response that made it 'toolish'. A simple, "hey man sorry wish we could help you out" would've sufficed.

I've done all manner of things to get folks on over the years and the two times I couldn't I apologized and told them exactly why. One of which response qualifies for ultimate tool label but we'll save that story for another day.

So if I'm the tool here for expecting this guy to at least offer some semblance of empathy or professional courtesy about a fellow pilot getting home so be it.
Quote: Seems like ancestor worship. By getting a seat in the back I've basically already been given permission to ride along. Just seems like an unnecessary practice in this day and age.
TOTD!!!

Read up on Captain’s Authority how you got that jumpseat in the first place.
TOTD

The CFI at ERAU who embarrassed the profession by flying an RJ displaying poor airmanship by not only stalling once but twice in a row and in general being an embarrassment to the profession.
33  533  933  983  1023  1029  1030  1031  1032  1033  1034  1035  1036  1037  1043  1083  1133 
Page 1033 of 1239
Go to