Delta 737 overshoots at KCMH (Columbus)

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to
Quote: Could happen to anyone.
I suppose if one lands beyond the Touchdown Zone. It's been proven by an American crew in Kingston, Jamaica.
Quote: While during the NWA/DAL process you had NeRD for Never Really Delta. As well as the mantra "you were acquired, NOT hired" way of thinking. You could probably find it on some of the threads from yore here.
Actually, its Never Ever Really Delta. BTW, weren't you a nerd?

Back to your passive/aggressive style............
Interesting discussion of 737 braking capability including -800 mod....I flew BBJs for several years and never noticed a lack of braking on wet runways but I can't compare it to any other (bigger) Boeings....Autobrake 2 always seemed a good tradeoff between required stopping performance and spilling the passengers' coffee...
Quote: Interesting discussion of 737 braking capability including -800 mod....I flew BBJs for several years and never noticed a lack of braking on wet runways but I can't compare it to any other (bigger) Boeings....Autobrake 2 always seemed a good tradeoff between required stopping performance and spilling the passengers' coffee...
True, we take the -700's into Key West, Santa Ana, etc ... no big deal. It is the sportscar of the NG series.
Quote: Interesting discussion of 737 braking capability including -800 mod....I flew BBJs for several years and never noticed a lack of braking on wet runways but I can't compare it to any other (bigger) Boeings....Autobrake 2 always seemed a good tradeoff between required stopping performance and spilling the passengers' coffee...

And...how many people did you typically have on board, in a BBJ?

I.E. were you anywhere near max landing wt. when you never noticed a lack of braking on wet runways?

It seems to be the one common denominator in all these 737 overrun accidents.

Hey, I've got an idea, why doesn't Boeing put a beefed up landing gear, more tires, and brakes on the next generation 737-900X? And they could give it a wider wing span, and bigger motors to lift all that extra weight.

And they could call it a...

757!

Has one of those ever gone off the far end of a wet runway?
Quote: It seems to be the one common denominator in all these 737 overrun accidents.

Yeah.... the common denominator is using flaps 30 rather than 40, faster Vappr speeds to compensate for a horizontal stabilizer which is inadequate in area for the -800 let alone for the -900, and landind half way down the runway... that'll will just about all the time.

I've flown the 800 into both EDHL and VEPT at performance limited LGWs. Both airports sport under 6,000' LDA beyond the GS. I prefer more concrete to stop the jet, but never had an issue with any Wx conditions. VEPT could be interesting during monsoon season, as the runway is not grooved. But hey isn't that why they pay us the big bazoocums?

Bazoocums = The monetary unit paid outside the US.
Quote: Bazoocums = The monetary unit paid outside the US.
I thought that money was Gazinta's, as in;

How many US Dollars 'gozinta' a:

Rupi/Duram/Yen/HKD/etc.
The BBJ is a 700, which is the sportier of the NGs and has performance that reminded me of the 737... just in a small football shaped package.

It landed very well and stopped very well... it came down final at normal-ish speeds even at flaps 15.

The 800, on the other hand... well, a normal approach at flaps 30 is going to be in the mid 150s with flaps 40 only reducing that by a handful of knots.
Quote: 757!

Has one of those ever gone off the far end of a wet runway?
Does snow count? Jackson Hole in 2010. No spoilers, no reverse until very late.
http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2012/aar1201.pdf
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to