Southern Airways Express

Subscribe
34  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48 
Page 44 of 53
Go to
Quote: Definitely. I’m located in one of their bases, probably one of the least desirable too. I’m in no rush to get to any regional, but don’t want to put myself in an impossible situation and waste their/my time. Guess I should just apply and see lol
Current word is that FO training is backed up through January so presently they're only hiring captains. You're probably better off going the CFI route.
That explains why they got rid of that recent FO posting a day later. CFI would probably be the most flexible for sure, but flying here just seems cooler. That and I need to become a CFI first...
Quote: That explains why they got rid of that recent FO posting a day later. CFI would probably be the most flexible for sure, but flying here just seems cooler. That and I need to become a CFI first...
As someone who initially wanted to avoid CFI and now is one, go CFI. More hours available and you'll probably build them faster. I've also learned a ton. If you still have a desire for some part 135 experience later you could get on as an SIC with 800-1000TT and upgrade much quicker or just be a PIC at 1200 hours.
Quote: As someone who initially wanted to avoid CFI and now is one, go CFI. More hours available and you'll probably build them faster. I've also learned a ton. If you still have a desire for some part 135 experience later you could get on as an SIC with 800-1000TT and upgrade much quicker or just be a PIC at 1200 hours.
Really good advice, although I would recommend going all the way to ATP mins as a CFI. The regionals don't care if you have part 135 or turbine time and taking that detour will cost you time and, more importantly, a lot of money!
Thank you both for the advice.

I can see being a CFI as the most flexible option when trying to hold another job to pay the bills. The hard part would be to find a school that is willing to work with you.

I'll still keep an eye on this place though.
Quote: Really good advice, although I would recommend going all the way to ATP mins as a CFI. The regionals don't care if you have part 135 or turbine time and taking that detour will cost you time and, more importantly, a lot of money!
Even better advice! It’s always about the money and never about gaining some real experience at a 135 op away from the daytime VFR traffic pattern before jumping to a regional... or even skipping regionals all together.
Is 664hrs total time competitive for an FO position? I applied to the most recent application opening.
Quote: Is 664hrs total time competitive for an FO position? I applied to the most recent application opening.
Absolutely! The question is why would you take a path that will get you to a Regional 9 months to a year later? Get your CFI and you could be at ATP mins in 9 months or so!
Quote: Absolutely! The question is why would you take a path that will get you to a Regional 9 months to a year later? Get your CFI and you could be at ATP mins in 9 months or so!
Maybe because if he doesn’t already have his CFI that could add 3-6 months just to get it? I don’t know, just saying.
Quote: Maybe because if he doesn’t already have his CFI that could add 3-6 months just to get it? I don’t know, just saying.
3-6 months? You can get it done in a 2 weeks.
34  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48 
Page 44 of 53
Go to