Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Southern Airways Express

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 03:40 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Any current Southern guys/gals that would be willing to discuss bases/schedules/upgrades?
Old 12-18-2022, 02:13 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018
Default answering questions

Takes about 2 months from day1 indoc to get released to line, back log in training and the inability to get instructors to train crew. Things are finally starting to level out here. Ops were getting crazy adding a new EAS city every month. The air choice one Aircraft aquired in the merger were not maintained well and as a result have been causing problems. Good chance of getting requested base other than in the gulf eld hro hot are crewed well. Theyre hiring for every position just keep applying. Obviously this place isnt perfect but its a first job so pay the dues and move on, better for some that dont want to cfi and being a cfi is better for others. It's real world experience flying into ATL LAX ORD PIT IAD BNA PHX not flying around the pattern at your local airport. PM me with any other questions
Old 12-18-2022, 02:06 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by BingoFuel69 View Post
Takes about 2 months from day1 indoc to get released to line, back log in training and the inability to get instructors to train crew. Things are finally starting to level out here. Ops were getting crazy adding a new EAS city every month. The air choice one Aircraft aquired in the merger were not maintained well and as a result have been causing problems. Good chance of getting requested base other than in the gulf eld hro hot are crewed well. Theyre hiring for every position just keep applying. Obviously this place isnt perfect but its a first job so pay the dues and move on, better for some that dont want to cfi and being a cfi is better for others. It's real world experience flying into ATL LAX ORD PIT IAD BNA PHX not flying around the pattern at your local airport. PM me with any other questions
PM sent.

filler
Old 12-21-2022, 10:21 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2022

Originally Posted by BingoFuel69 View Post
I just passed my CSEL and am starting to think about future options. Any chance you could provide insight to the below?

1) What do schedules look like? How many days are you scheduled per month? How many hours do you actually fly? Would it be possible to work for Southern and CFI on the side (student schedule allowing obviously)?

2) What's a realistic minimum TT to get hired at?

3) How is Southern with accommodating major life events? I'm getting married next September and would be looking to be off for about three weeks between the wedding and honeymoon.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:22 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2023
Thumbs up 100%

Originally Posted by FloridaFlyboy98 View Post
If you're planning on an airline career, you'll be light years ahead of the game if you just do your CFI and instruct to 1500 hours, and then go directly to Skywest or whomever. As a Southern FO, you'll be lowest on totem pole to get trained because they lose captains at an astonishing rate, and captains hired months after you will be trained before you!
I strongly recommend you all follow this advise.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:44 AM
EJET Driver

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by flynhooligan View Post
I strongly recommend you all follow this advice
Totally agree in terms of flight time in a shorter period of time, but you gain a ton more skill from flying 135 that you will never get instructing. It’s a real double edged sword.
Old 01-10-2023, 03:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by FlightLife2020 View Post
Totally agree in terms of flight time in a shorter period of time, but you gain a ton more skill from flying 135 that you will never get instructing. It’s a real double edged sword.

Plus you risk your career flying for a bottom feeder like Southern Airways Express. Equipment and maintenance has deteriorated, management threatens pilots. If you bend mental or do anything wrong Southern management will throw you under the bus in a NY second. Company has really gone down hill last few years. Friend there was told to falsify training records, of course he didn’t.

36 year senior 777 CA here who mentors pilots and provides career counseling. Do you really want to risk your career flying for this scum bag operation? Do you want explain incidents, accident, violations or being terminated on your regional, LCC and or Legacy interviews? Something to think about.
Old 01-10-2023, 03:40 PM
EJET Driver

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
Plus you risk your career flying for a bottom feeder like Southern Airways Express. Equipment and maintenance has deteriorated, management threatens pilots. If you bend mental or do anything wrong Southern management will throw you under the bus in a NY second. Company has really gone down hill last few years. Friend there was told to falsify training records, of course he didn’t.

36 year senior 777 CA here who mentors pilots and provides career counseling. Do you really want to risk your career flying for this scum bag operation? Do you want explain incidents, accident, violations or being terminated on your regional, LCC and or Legacy interviews? Something to think about.
Completely agree! Especially with the slowdown for regional FO hiring I’ve been pushing my friends to CFI over 135.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post

All for $12/hour!
Old 01-20-2023, 07:37 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2023
Default Offers

Just looking to see if anyone that works at Southern has any advice. I noticed a Tecnam SIC position in Saipan. I have been interested in flying in Saipan for a long time! I sent my resume to multiple people, but I did not hear anything for a couple of weeks. I got a call from Alaska Seaplanes and was invited to go for an interview. I was offered a position by Alaska seaplanes before I left Juneau even though they said I would not hear anything for a week. On the flight home, I received a voicemail from the Southern recruiter. I called her shortly after landing and set up a video conference. I told her I was working on a tight timeline because I needed to get back to Seaplanes with an answer. After our video conference, I contacted her several times asking for a benefits overview so I could talk to my wife about what the benefits looked like so we could make a quick decision if Southern offered me as well. I texted, emailed, left voicemails, and she never provided me with the requested information, only a message that they were reviewing my information. I told her several times I had to give Seaplanes an answer. I finally reached my deadline with Seaplanes and let them know I was going to accept (because I assumed Southern was not happening and quite frankly the lack of response worries me)! Well, what happened the next morning (after 4-5 days of sending requests)? The recruiter sends me the information and wants to set up a time for me to talk with the chief pilot and the VP of retention. I assume I will get an offer, but at this point, I have committed elsewhere. I think I will enjoy Seaplanes and the atmosphere is great. However, there is that part of me that wants to go to Saipan. I am extremely loyal and I would hate to back out of my commitment. So, here is my question. Does Southern ever offer higher than starting pay? Is it okay to ask and say at this point I have committed elsewhere what can you offer me to change my mind? Or should I just say thanks, but no thanks?