Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Union Talk For macro-level discussion: legislation, national unions, organizing pilot groups, etc.For airline-specific discussion, use relevant forum above.
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #31  
Gets Weekends Off
 
elmetal's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,123
Default

I've worked at a non-union airline, and I will NEVER again put myself in that position.

By allowing people to not be a part of the union (and not pay), all the corporations are doing is allowing the union to lose power. This is why every single private sector job has less and less union membership. "Oh but why do I pay the union since I work under the same contract anyway"

Exactly, why would you? Not seeing that in the long term the union loses its power.

And remember this: The union isn't only there to protect you from the company, it's there the protect you from each other as well.
elmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #32  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabapch View Post
Unions are necessary in the aviation industry. With no union, you’re at the mercy of a corporation and as Pilot A no way to show you’re better than Pilot B. Hence the seniority system.

Every other industry, unions are garbage. I worked as an electrician for a non-union company and by default was involved with the IBEW. I’ve dealt with all the harassment and I’ve come to one conclusion... the union electricians are the most brain dead, laziest workers out there. People join the industry knowing this and realize it’s easy pay and benefits. With my hard work and dedication to the company I’ve been at, my salary and benefits far exceeded what the union offered due to my individual discipline.

The truth is, ALL unions are just corrupt businesses inside of another business. Do some research on any .gov websites. Why are my union dues to ALPA or people represented by IBT going to the Democrat political party?? I don’t favor either party, but would like some transparency and a choice where my money is going. This is just one of many examples of the corruption.
Clearly your clueless on union political contributions from ALPA. Do some research and get back to us! Hint PAC!
sailingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #33  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
Clearly your clueless on union political contributions from ALPA. Do some research and get back to us! Hint PAC!
https://laborpains.org/2018/01/18/big-labor-sends-1-billion-to-the-left-without-prior-approval/

There’s a start. Then if you really want to get into it all you have to do is research ALPA contributions to individual congressman, then ask yourself one question. PAC is voluntary from members. If all those contributions were from ‘PAC’ that would mean all the guys on senior pay scales are voluntaring 1/3 of their annual salary to ‘PAC.’ Yeah seems legit... But hey keep believing what corporations tell ya.
stabapch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #34  
"Yinzer an'at"
 
Allegheny's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: Sittin at the puter
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama View Post
One of my co-workers quit ALPA due to a disagreement over how they handled something. He is till employed and dues come out of his pay. He does get money back at the end of the year. He pays a service fee, but does not get the protection etc. that ALPA gives.

Actually that is incorrect. Because ALPA is the certified bargaining agent at the carrier in question they are required to represent him in any disciplinary hearing or contractual grievance. It is the "Duty of Fair Representation" that requires this because he cannot represent himself. The pilots at this carrier have elected to have ALPA represent them and ALPA is responsible for all those who work in the covered bargaining unit, Pilots. ALPA is the exclusive bargaining agent.



He cannot vote, hold office, attend meetings, get any ALPA insurance products, or other ALPA benefits. He has no say or vote in negotiations. Some other services like help with an FAA or medical issue would not be available to him because these are not "collective bargaining" issues. His fees are approximately 80 to 85% or the regular dues paying members fees based on what the particular ALPA carriers dues are allotted as germane to collective bargaining.
Allegheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #35  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabapch View Post
https://laborpains.org/2018/01/18/big-labor-sends-1-billion-to-the-left-without-prior-approval/

There’s a start. Then if you really want to get into it all you have to do is research ALPA contributions to individual congressman, then ask yourself one question. PAC is voluntary from members. If all those contributions were from ‘PAC’ that would mean all the guys on senior pay scales are voluntaring 1/3 of their annual salary to ‘PAC.’ Yeah seems legit... But hey keep believing what corporations tell ya.
ALPA’s financial records are public. You have stated they are fraudulent and a crime is occurring through miss use of member dues. Please post some real facts so we can get the criminals arrested! This is serious stuff and we be national news. Why have you been withholding it?
PS. Your link is worthless and has nothing to do with ALPA.
sailingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #36  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
ALPA’s financial records are public. You have stated they are fraudulent and a crime is occurring through miss use of member dues. Please post some real facts so we can get the criminals arrested! This is serious stuff and we be national news. Why have you been withholding it?
PS. Your link is worthless and has nothing to do with ALPA.
Like I said it’s a start. You can do your own individual research and draw your own inferences. We’re all adults right? Im just here to put it out there. But, you won’t, you’ll continue to follow the herd.

“National news”......

LOL You’re apparently clueless on how this country works, so maybe we should start there.
stabapch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #37  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GogglesPisano's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: Finishing up my sentence of hard labor on the DC9 - NEO.
Posts: 3,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabapch View Post
Like I said it’s a start. You can do your own individual research and draw your own inferences. We’re all adults right? Im just here to put it out there. But, you won’t, you’ll continue to follow the herd.

“National news”......

LOL You’re apparently clueless on how this country works, so maybe we should start there.
In other words, “Well, I heard.”
GogglesPisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:16 AM   #38  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabapch View Post
Like I said it’s a start. You can do your own individual research and draw your own inferences. We’re all adults right? Im just here to put it out there. But, you won’t, you’ll continue to follow the herd.

“National news”......

LOL You’re apparently clueless on how this country works, so maybe we should start there.
I already have and have had a friend who worked in political affairs with ALPA. They don’t get a dime of dues money. All their funding is via the PAC. Money was their single biggest issue. We lack the money to buy the needed politicians to get our issues through Congress. We have to careful target and pursue a limited agenda as a result. Every pilot should donate at least 100 a year to the PAC for KCM if nothing else.
sailingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #39  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny View Post
Actually that is incorrect. Because ALPA is the certified bargaining agent at the carrier in question they are required to represent him in any disciplinary hearing or contractual grievance. It is the "Duty of Fair Representation" that requires this because he cannot represent himself. The pilots at this carrier have elected to have ALPA represent them and ALPA is responsible for all those who work in the covered bargaining unit, Pilots. ALPA is the exclusive bargaining agent.



He cannot vote, hold office, attend meetings, get any ALPA insurance products, or other ALPA benefits. He has no say or vote in negotiations. Some other services like help with an FAA or medical issue would not be available to him because these are not "collective bargaining" issues. His fees are approximately 80 to 85% or the regular dues paying members fees based on what the particular ALPA carriers dues are allotted as germane to collective bargaining.
You are incorrect about a lot of what you say. I have a copy of the APA Agency Fee Policy for 2019. Germane dues are covered expenses on things like medical and even other things. You still pay for those items and the union has a duty to represent you. ALPA is the same. Read the Agency Fee policies of ALPA carriers. They have them and they differ little from APA.
Route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critical Mach Number RJcursed4life Technical 12 10-05-2013 10:33 AM
How to explain Bernoulli's principle PearlPilot Flight Schools and Training 19 06-21-2012 02:30 PM
Fixed wing contract jobs Vs. rotary wing Longbow64 Technical 0 08-31-2009 06:05 AM
Passengers revolt after being told to fly on jet with its wing tip missing wannabepilot Major 20 11-07-2007 01:52 PM
High Wing Vs. Low WIng WAVIT Inbound Flight Schools and Training 7 06-10-2006 11:50 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:48 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1