Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Union Talk
[Right to Work Lawsuit Related to Aviation] >

[Right to Work Lawsuit Related to Aviation]

Notices
Union Talk For macro-level discussion: legislation, national unions, organizing pilot groups, etc.For airline-specific discussion, use relevant forum above.

[Right to Work Lawsuit Related to Aviation]

Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 PM
  #41  
Gets Weekends Off
 
joepilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 747 Captain (Ret,)
Posts: 743
Default

The company signs the paycheck.

Your union tells them the amount.

Joe
joepilot is offline  
Old 05-30-2019, 06:00 PM
  #42  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 75
Default

Originally Posted by Barley View Post
The GOP has been pushing for this a long time.
Workers have been pushing for this a long time.

- Octa
Octaflugaron is offline  
Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM
  #43  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 1
Default Facts

I love the guys that say you will get less if you are not in a union. I was flying for a union carrier, granted rotary wing but still valid as it is aviation. The contract changed and the new shop was not union. I was able to bargain for myself, instead of collectively. I was able to negotiate a 20% raise over the union shops pay. I was also able to negotiate an extra week of vacation over the union shops collective bargaining. Union provided insurance with a premium, the non-union employer paid for the entire premium and refunded any deductible. I think collective bargaining is good for those that have neither the inclination nor ability to effectively bargain for themselves. I chose not to be a member of the union when with the union shop because I personally don't believe in unions. I know that my situation is anecdotal, but those that make the blanket statement that you are worth less to an employer if non-union are not correct as a blanket statement. There are some benefits, such as job protection, that unions provide, that is also undisputable. It isn't for everyone but don't make the statement that you will make less, because in at least one circumstance that was clearly not true.
used2fly is offline  
Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 PM
  #44  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: B777 CA
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by Octaflugaron View Post
Workers have been pushing for this a long time.

- Octa
The problem here is that the federal government, and the party in power doesn't matter....the feds want POWER over civil aviation. The Railway labor act demands POWER and control over civil aviation. The only way the government actually gets to exert this power is through the RLA.

The company would LOVE not to have to deal with unions, but on the other hand the company LOVEs and I mean loves the hecks out of the control they get to exert over the buerocracy. The company knows the rules, the contract, and how to run the act (the RLA). management exerts control over labor through one (a single) labor agreement.

In the airlines, in the USA, The RLA will be enforced. Therefore, managements will want to deal with a union and they will be happy to do it. It's easier to negotiate and enforce one contract versus 14,000 separate ones.
Oletimer is offline  
Old 06-29-2020, 03:03 AM
  #45  
777 - ret
 
Huell's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2020
Position: Waco CG-4 center seat
Posts: 863
Default

Originally Posted by stabapch View Post
No circles here bud. Again to repeat myself, I work for an airline, NOT a union. I DON’T apply to a union for a job, I apply to airline. Hence why I should not have dues (fees) taken out if I don’t agree with their leadership. You guys chose to unionize and ‘negotiate’ a contract, tough sh*t I get to work under it because I have no choice, but I shouldn’t be mandated to pay anything by law. It’s very simple, deal with the consequences of backing your ‘brotherhood’.
Oh the irony. The airline that you want to work for has the attractive pilot contract negotiated by the union over a number of years. With out that pesky union the contract wouldn't be attractive enough to get your attention.

You would fit in really well at some of the third and fourth tie operators.

Ignorance is bliss, and it's all about you.
Huell is offline  
Old 06-29-2020, 10:25 AM
  #46  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,072
Default

I work at a Teamsters shop. The International supports political causes and candidates with which I disagree. Enforced membership is a violation of my First Amendment rights. On the other hand, I very much benefit from the contract under which I work.

Search "Communication Workers v Beck."

I do not pay anything to IBT, as is my Constitutionally protected right. I gladly and gratefully send my check to the Local every month, less the 10-ish% that would go to Hoffa in violation of the Constitution, and enjoy all the benefits of collective bargaining I happily pay for.

As for "Right to Work," three words: Are, Ell, Ay.
Hetman is offline  
Old 07-02-2020, 04:54 AM
  #47  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2020
Posts: 484
Default

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
Curious.

My ALPA scheduling committee just got me several thousand dollars for a scheduling contract violation. I’ll I had to do was email them.

How do you explain this?

I explain it as dues well spent and an impressive ROI. I guess you’d call it “corruption.”

In my experience the guys who don’t want to pay union dues turn out to be extraordinary mission hackers.
Downtime is offline  
Old 09-08-2020, 01:39 PM
  #48  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Posts: 85
Default

Originally Posted by used2fly View Post
I love the guys that say you will get less if you are not in a union. I was flying for a union carrier, granted rotary wing but still valid as it is aviation. The contract changed and the new shop was not union. I was able to bargain for myself, instead of collectively. I was able to negotiate a 20% raise over the union shops pay. I was also able to negotiate an extra week of vacation over the union shops collective bargaining. Union provided insurance with a premium, the non-union employer paid for the entire premium and refunded any deductible. I think collective bargaining is good for those that have neither the inclination nor ability to effectively bargain for themselves. I chose not to be a member of the union when with the union shop because I personally don't believe in unions. I know that my situation is anecdotal, but those that make the blanket statement that you are worth less to an employer if non-union are not correct as a blanket statement. There are some benefits, such as job protection, that unions provide, that is also undisputable. It isn't for everyone but don't make the statement that you will make less, because in at least one circumstance that was clearly not true.
Job protection my *ss. They only protect the screwups who desperately need them and couldn’t negotiate to save their life.
Carrying mechanicals? Intentionally grounding airplanes? 5 ASAPs/tour? No problem. The “brotherhood” has you covered!

Unions preach safety while reaching into your pockets and protecting the very people who make your job harder and less safe!
55555 is offline  
Old 09-08-2020, 04:56 PM
  #49  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Posts: 379
Default

Originally Posted by 55555 View Post
Job protection my *ss. They only protect the screwups who desperately need them and couldn’t negotiate to save their life.
Carrying mechanicals? Intentionally grounding airplanes? 5 ASAPs/tour? No problem. The “brotherhood” has you covered!

Unions preach safety while reaching into your pockets and protecting the very people who make your job harder and less safe!
HAHAHAHAHA

Once a loser, always a loser.

****ed up one too many times, did ya?

HAHAHAHAHA
HulkaBurger is offline  
Old 09-08-2020, 05:11 PM
  #50  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Posts: 85
Default

Originally Posted by HulkaBurger View Post
HAHAHAHAHA

Once a loser, always a loser.

****ed up one too many times, did ya?

HAHAHAHAHA
You think I lost a job? You read it wrong, genius.
55555 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
RJcursed4life
Technical
12
10-05-2013 10:33 AM
PearlPilot
Flight Schools and Training
19
06-21-2012 02:30 PM
Longbow64
Technical
0
08-31-2009 06:05 AM
WAVIT Inbound
Flight Schools and Training
7
06-10-2006 11:50 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread