Notices

C34 Update…interesting read

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 04:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by awax View Post
A clean sheet Section 6 can take years. Everyone is ****ed and paying attention now, I’ll wait until November and see if they can pull a rabbit out.

The bar is high and will very clearly need to be everything to everybody. If they can’t pull it off, I suspect it’ll be years before we see an agreement.
I disagree. The company wants stuff. In order to get stuff, they need to agree to a new contract.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I disagree. The company wants stuff. In order to get stuff, they need to agree to a new contract.
I certainly hope you’re right, but I don’t believe it’ll be that simple.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:15 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by jerryleber View Post
I was on the MEC until just over two years ago. The briefings were not detailed and the majority was fine with being left in the dark. When we asked for more details the NC would say that they wanted to wait until near the end as all the provisions were interconnected and had to be considered together. We knew the company wanted to get rid of 10:00 am on reserve day one, but we never imagined the NC would allow it to be assigned since they said their bargaining philosophy was to demand carrots since add pay had been so successful. When I asked them on a Zoom call why they didn't make it voluntary they said the company wouldn't agree to that and all the scheduling 'gets'. What gets other than five hours for flying us into RDO/VDOs? We also knew the company wanted to fix international FO landing currency, but we never imagined they would agree to such an arcane and unsafe solution that could cost pilots 60 days of pay. UFB

Pilots cannot imagine how dysfunctional this MEC is, but this TA is a clear demonstration of it.
Thanks for sharing Jerry.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2020

Originally Posted by awax View Post
A clean sheet Section 6 can take years. Everyone is ****ed and paying attention now, I’ll wait until November and see if they can pull a rabbit out.

The bar is high and will very clearly need to be everything to everybody. If they can’t pull it off, I suspect it’ll be years before we see an agreement.
I doubt we see a clean sheet section 6. Poling will have to take place of course, but I’d expect the majority to ask for much less and on a shorter time frame. My guess is TA1 with the following exceptions:

1. No scope give for the 550 or PUP’s
2. Rates around 15%, plus 5% each year
3. No first day of reserve before 1000 unless it’s voluntary with some type of add pay for those who bid it.
4. No WB landings scheme. Maintain current book
5. LCA’s get paid for the trip and not the leg
6. Reassignment rules maintain current book.

Most of us would prefer a great contract with larger increases in rates, retirement, sick leave accrual, etc. We need to go for that, but I think that the polling will show that the majority will settle for less, and the MEC will get its marching orders from the majority, not the APC echo chamber. If TA1 had the things that I listed I’m fairly confident that it would have easily cleared 50%.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by EWRflyr View Post
So she was either lying about not getting briefed for 15+ months for dramatic effect or was just asleep at the controls hoping the autopilot would bring it in for a safe landing.
bologna. Every time council 12 would bring up an idea, it was simply shown as “discussed”, while in reality, it was ignored. Council 34 is full of ****e
Old 07-19-2022, 06:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009

Originally Posted by Hedley View Post
I doubt we see a clean sheet section 6. Poling will have to take place of course, but I’d expect the majority to ask for much less and on a shorter time frame. My guess is TA1 with the following exceptions:

3. No first day of reserve before 1000 unless it’s voluntary with some type of add pay for those who bid it.

Most of us would prefer a great contract with larger increases in rates, retirement, sick leave accrual, etc. We need to go for that, but I think that the polling will show that the majority will settle for less, and the MEC will get its marching orders from the majority, not the APC echo chamber. If TA1 had the things that I listed I’m fairly confident that it would have easily cleared 50%.

Nailed it. This is exactly 2.0. Probably a 60/40 result that can be spun into “industry leading” with no “me too”
anywhere in sight. 3rd place among the big 3. Awesome.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:05 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2020

That’s a plausible scenario. The pilots could also demand a clean sheet contract due to the length of time since the last one. Sadly, the same group that’s responsible for this completely inappropriate TA doubled down on it when faced with overwhelming opposition. Now it is overseeing the polling, results, and negotiating a new agreement. I have some severe reservations about that.
If they thought the TA was a great deal it shouldn’t take much to convince them that TA2 is acceptable “within the overall economic package” of course.

One thing that HAS to be in the new agreement is a disincentive for the company to drag out contracts. Either full retro or pay triggers in perpetuity upon reaching the amendable date.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by TodKindrsChikun View Post
One thing that HAS to be in the new agreement is a disincentive for the company to drag out contracts. Either full retro or pay triggers in perpetuity upon reaching the amendable date.
​​​​Why not both? 3% raise in perpetuity for historical inflation and backpay for raises and hyperinflation.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2020

Originally Posted by TodKindrsChikun View Post
The pilots could also demand a clean sheet contract due to the length of time since the last one.
TA1 is a clean sheet contract, it just stinks. They’re just going to tweak this deal. The narrative from the union will be that it was a struggle to get the company to agree to something like the list that I posted and they refuse to give more. The company will sell it as United working with the pilots to get an industry leading contract to ensure our growth and success. That will easily clear 50%.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:09 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2020

TA1 is a clean sheet contract, it just stinks. They’re just going to tweak this deal. The narrative from the union will be that it was a struggle to get the company to agree to something like the list that I posted and they refuse to give more. The company will sell it as United working with the pilots to get an industry leading contract to ensure our growth and success. That will easily clear 50%.
I guess we’ll have to disagree. I view it as an extension with a TON of add pay incentives and concessions. We don’t need a contract but it appears the company does.

I’m sure the company will sell it. As of now their spin is all rainbows, growth, and upgrades for all. Can’t wait until the behavioral psychologists get their hand in the verbiage.

The best outcome for the company is 50+1. That’s where they save the most money. I’m afraid this current group of ALPA professionals are about to serve that on a silver platter.