Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > United > => United Contract 2022
United Pilots to Finally Informational Picket >

United Pilots to Finally Informational Picket

Search
Notices

United Pilots to Finally Informational Picket

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 01:07 PM
Aspiring PSA Captain

Joined APC: Sep 2020

Originally Posted by UALinIAH View Post
In an interview Thursday, Capt. Todd Insler, chairman of the United branch of ALPA, the Air Line Pilots Association union, broke ranks with his counterparts at American Airlines and Southwest Airlines who earlier this week publicly complained that this wasn’t disclosed to pilots during training or included in the 737 MAX pilot manuals.

Insler said many systems on an airplane work in the background without the pilot’s knowledge. He compared it to watching television: “I don’t need to know how it works.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ion-air-crash/
He sure seems susceptible to being influenced in his position by management. Maybe Boeing caught on and decided that he was ripe to be "influenced".
Old 10-02-2022, 04:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by ReadyRsv View Post
the people picketing. They are pro age 67
yeah, got that. “SAVE ALPA”, a group that isn’t any kind of bargaining agent and who’s picketing the actual bargaining agent. All this being done outside of the established way of doing union business.

How do I feel about that? A little embarrassed for them and slightly annoyed. Can you say attack Hamster?

As for age 67, I’m a bit of a contrarian there. I support giving pilots as many options as possible. Pick up credit to the FAR limits, drop to zero, trade trips, commute offline, etc. These are all things (and more!) that didn’t when I was hired. So through advocacy and process these options are now available and provide choice for pilots.

In that context I don’t see a problem age 67 if that’s the will of the body. Now, obviously the body has has spoken and I respect that. However, every argument against is some version of “get out my seat ya old fart” and steeped in self interest, not one of beneficial options for the group. Personally I don’t see how having a non-mandated option to get pilots to social security age is a bad thing. But apparently that’s just me.

When I was hired, guys were on the engineer panel for 20 years, it was truly stagnant. Looking at the last bid, career progression is a tough argument to make.

All that said, “union members” picketing the BOD is buffoonery.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:35 AM
Ignoring; John Burke.

Joined APC: Jul 2022
Position: Wandering

Originally Posted by awax View Post
yeah, got that. “SAVE ALPA”, a group that isn’t any kind of bargaining agent and who’s picketing the actual bargaining agent. All this being done outside of the established way of doing union business.

How do I feel about that? A little embarrassed for them and slightly annoyed. Can you say attack Hamster?

As for age 67, I’m a bit of a contrarian there. I support giving pilots as many options as possible. Pick up credit to the FAR limits, drop to zero, trade trips, commute offline, etc. These are all things (and more!) that didn’t when I was hired. So through advocacy and process these options are now available and provide choice for pilots.

In that context I don’t see a problem age 67 if that’s the will of the body. Now, obviously the body has has spoken and I respect that. However, every argument against is some version of “get out my seat ya old fart” and steeped in self interest, not one of beneficial options for the group. Personally I don’t see how having a non-mandated option to get pilots to social security age is a bad thing. But apparently that’s just me.

When I was hired, guys were on the engineer panel for 20 years, it was truly stagnant. Looking at the last bid, career progression is a tough argument to make.

All that said, “union members” picketing the BOD is buffoonery.

Has a whiff of the Flight Engineer pickets of 1961 era, when ALPA crossed the FEIA line and took their seats. It didn’t pan out for the engineers who struck. Those who crossed their own line, got a pilot seniority number on the pilot list and kept their job.

Sometimes, when it’s cold and your under a mountain of steaming poo, you gotta embrace the warmth.