Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by LoganWalls View Post
Hey i am new to posting in this forum but i have read the post in here for the past year to see how much people like or dislike working for this company and to get an idea of how the interview process works and what the QOL is and BA by far seems to be one of the most top notch 135 ops in the country.

For everyone asking about what is a competitive application i think it really boils down to timing more than anything. i can tell you i submitted my application with 428 hours and about 3 weeks later they called me for an interview. At that point i already had over 500hrs, so just some food for thought.

I do have a couple questions for OkStateBryan or any of the other BA employees posting in this forum. I was just offered the FO position in Denver and have a class date for September 7th and was wondering what is stuff that i can study in the meantime between now and then to make life easier during training. I would really appreciate some insight as i want to be as prepared as possible for training.

428h!!, so it's doable
Old 08-21-2016, 08:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

I do have a couple questions for OkStateBryan or any of the other BA employees posting in this forum. I was just offered the FO position in Denver and have a class date for September 7th and was wondering what is stuff that i can study in the meantime between now and then to make life easier during training. I would really appreciate some insight as i want to be as prepared as possible for training.
Start studying the PT6 engine. Bunch of awesome videos on Youtube floating around. I would also get comfortable with Part 135 regs (rest reqs, alternate requirements, what you need to take off, etc).

Edit - Here's a video I watched before class and it helped a lot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoOlBkUihLc
Old 08-21-2016, 12:08 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2016

OkStateBryan thanks so much for the info. Its funny that you sent that video bc I have been looking at PT6 videos recently just out of curiosity of how they work. Do you think i should become familiar with performance and limitation data such as V speeds and stuff before training as well?
Old 08-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

OkStateBryan thanks so much for the info. Its funny that you sent that video bc I have been looking at PT6 videos recently just out of curiosity of how they work. Do you think i should become familiar with performance and limitation data such as V speeds and stuff before training as well?
If you can find those for the 45s and 47s I don't see why not. You'll get all that info in class though. Just make sure you're studying numbers for the right aircraft.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:41 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2015

I'm currently working for a FedEx feeder in the northwest flying the caravan. If Boutique is coming to PDX I would be very interested. What is the typical schedule look like or is there a typical schedule?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015

Originally Posted by Droptopspyder View Post
I'm currently working for a FedEx feeder in the northwest flying the caravan. If Boutique is coming to PDX I would be very interested. What is the typical schedule look like or is there a typical schedule?
It varies depending on the base, route/destination from that base, and number of daily flights per the contract... even day of the week.

Could be day trips, overnights, or continuous duty overnights.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Well guys, I flew my last trip at Boutique this week. Heading onto the 121 world. I'll still check back up on the thread occasionally. Good luck to everyone that's applied and waiting for a call. Might just be a waiting game. I was told that applying more than once doesn't help you any though. Only reason I would reapply is if you've accumulated a lot more hours, have new ratings, etc.

Lots of growth happening really quickly. I'll let you decide if that's a good thing or not. Hopefully they can continue to staff the routes. Sounds like Portland is coming soon with Pendleton. Can't honestly tell you when CASS will finally show up so just don't hold your breath on that. It'll get there when it gets there. Sounds like the company is reading this thread and noticing that people are asking about retirement benefits so they're working on 401K for you guys. Overall it's a good place to be. Can't recommend it enough if you're a low time pilot (~500 hours) looking to get out of instructing and build the rest of your time. I have gained some great experience flying here. You will definitely deal with bad weather, IFR conditions, random maintenance issues, and other sorts of delays. When you go to an airline interview and they hit you with the "tell me about a time when..." questions, you'll be well prepared. The other pilots and the CSAs are some of the greatest people I have met and made the job enjoyable even if the flying was rough that day. Keep an eye out on more King Airs to come online. PC12 is a blast to fly but you would be a more marketable pilot in the industry with some multi turbine experience (especially if you get picked to be a captain and can get the PIC experience with it. Company pays for the ATP and type rating).

Company grew a lot in the short time I was there. Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months. Shoot me a PM if y'all have any questions
Old 08-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by OkStateBryan View Post
Well guys, I flew my last trip at Boutique this week. Heading onto the 121 world. I'll still check back up on the thread occasionally. Good luck to everyone that's applied and waiting for a call. Might just be a waiting game. I was told that applying more than once doesn't help you any though. Only reason I would reapply is if you've accumulated a lot more hours, have new ratings, etc.

Lots of growth happening really quickly. I'll let you decide if that's a good thing or not. Hopefully they can continue to staff the routes. Sounds like Portland is coming soon with Pendleton. Can't honestly tell you when CASS will finally show up so just don't hold your breath on that. It'll get there when it gets there. Sounds like the company is reading this thread and noticing that people are asking about retirement benefits so they're working on 401K for you guys. Overall it's a good place to be. Can't recommend it enough if you're a low time pilot (~500 hours) looking to get out of instructing and build the rest of your time. I have gained some great experience flying here. You will definitely deal with bad weather, IFR conditions, random maintenance issues, and other sorts of delays. When you go to an airline interview and they hit you with the "tell me about a time when..." questions, you'll be well prepared. The other pilots and the CSAs are some of the greatest people I have met and made the job enjoyable even if the flying was rough that day. Keep an eye out on more King Airs to come online. PC12 is a blast to fly but you would be a more marketable pilot in the industry with some multi turbine experience (especially if you get picked to be a captain and can get the PIC experience with it. Company pays for the ATP and type rating).

Company grew a lot in the short time I was there. Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months. Shoot me a PM if y'all have any questions
Good luck out in the "real world ." Thanks for helping this thread grow, I know you answered a few of my questions before I got hired on here. Guess this means DFW is gonna need another pilot!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016
Default Training

Wondering what the training is and how many week you have before you are signed off being SIC? Additionally do hey pay you the 25/ HR pay in training or is that lower? Also wondering what the possible chance of when they will start the route up for the Pdx to PDT and if there anyone that is currently an FO with them that might message me? I have a couple more question about the company and how you are able to handle the life of a pilot at 24k a year?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
Wondering what the training is and how many week you have before you are signed off being SIC? Additionally do hey pay you the 25/ HR pay in training or is that lower? Also wondering what the possible chance of when they will start the route up for the Pdx to PDT and if there anyone that is currently an FO with them that might message me? I have a couple more question about the company and how you are able to handle the life of a pilot at 24k a year?

Thanks
Trainings about two weeks and is fully paid. Can't remember the rate though. PDX will start up in a couple months, all my time here Boutique's either started routes early or on time so I'm fully confident that'll continue. Feel free to pm me any other questions. Boutique's been absolutely great to me, and I can't recommend working here enough. Incredible group of people working here, any and all complaints the pilot group has had are being addressed if they haven't been solved already, and the schedule is constantly improving.