Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 03-30-2017, 05:11 PM
  #2241  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Jet
Posts: 214
Default

Originally Posted by GuppyPuppy View Post
I would hope and expect that anyone hired at either company after December 14, 2016 would be integrated as DOH.

Gup
Actually it is DOH after April 05, 2016 as that was the day the merger was announced.
Bugaboo is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:02 AM
  #2242  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Flitestar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 614
Default

So if I understand this correctly, everybody hired into Virgin or Alaska after the merger announcement will go straight DOH. Fences are likely to be placed around domicilies for a specific number of years that hasn't been determined yet.

Are these fences likely to apply only to pilots from both airlines that were on property up until the merger announcement, allowing pilots hired after the announcement date to move on to a base across the street before the fences are up? Or, would these fences apply to every single pilot from both airlines regardless of whether they were hired before or after the merger announcement? Not sure if there's precedent on the first scenario in past mergers...
Flitestar is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 08:03 AM
  #2243  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: Starboard Bus
Posts: 725
Default

Originally Posted by Flitestar View Post
So if I understand this correctly, everybody hired into Virgin or Alaska after the merger announcement will go straight DOH. Fences are likely to be placed around domicilies for a specific number of years that hasn't been determined yet.

Are these fences likely to apply only to pilots from both airlines that were on property up until the merger announcement, allowing pilots hired after the announcement date to move on to a base across the street before the fences are up? Or, would these fences apply to every single pilot from both airlines regardless of whether they were hired before or after the merger announcement? Not sure if there's precedent on the first scenario in past mergers...

Dude. Chill. No one has all the answers yet. Think long term.
Pogey Bait is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 PM
  #2244  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,876
Default

Why do people keep saying fence? No domicile has been fenced the past 10 yrs in binding arbitration that I can think of? Arbitrators make fences to protect large equipment flying for a certain airline. For example, a 5-yr fence for NWA 747s and Delta 777s. With the definition of career expectations and domestic narrowbody flying at both airlines, you shouldn't worry on fences. Training cost associated with cross-bidding is a company thing.

Bottom line, if you want a job at Alaska and even if you live in an Alaska base and Virgin calls first, take it.
ShyGuy is online now  
Old 04-01-2017, 12:08 PM
  #2245  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Posts: 384
Default

AS EXVP level sees no current airbus pilot flying a 737 until at the earliest late 2023.... How they do it, I don't know for sure. Will there be a A320 SEA, PDX, or ANC base... I have no clue and I don't think AS management has yet to decide this. If you get hired in the bus you will be on it 5 years, if you get hired into a 737 your sentence is just as long
Mea25000 is offline  
Old 04-01-2017, 08:11 PM
  #2246  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2014
Posts: 300
Default

Originally Posted by Mea25000 View Post
AS EXVP level sees no current airbus pilot flying a 737 until at the earliest late 2023.... How they do it, I don't know for sure. Will there be a A320 SEA, PDX, or ANC base... I have no clue and I don't think AS management has yet to decide this. If you get hired in the bus you will be on it 5 years, if you get hired into a 737 your sentence is just as long
I'd just like to add this is all hearsay and nothing is set in stone. His post may turn out to be prescient, but we won't know for certain until further along in the process.
GreatBigSea is offline  
Old 04-01-2017, 11:50 PM
  #2247  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Posts: 276
Default

Originally Posted by Mea25000 View Post
AS EXVP level sees no current airbus pilot flying a 737 until at the earliest late 2023.... How they do it, I don't know for sure. Will there be a A320 SEA, PDX, or ANC base... I have no clue and I don't think AS management has yet to decide this. If you get hired in the bus you will be on it 5 years, if you get hired into a 737 your sentence is just as long


I could care less about airframes, I'm just wondering if the bases will be fenced


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flyingak is offline  
Old 04-01-2017, 11:55 PM
  #2248  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Q400, B-737
Posts: 324
Default

Um, just me, but I'd expect bases and equipment to be fenced. Probably for between three to five years. This is just off of past mergers. If the company agrees to anything less, their costs, (retraining), go through the roof.
We'll all stay in our own little igloos for a while...
N19906 is offline  
Old 04-02-2017, 12:23 AM
  #2249  
Klsytakesit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The"company" has no part in it. We decide. Base fences and 737/airbus fences would come with the arbitrated sli. Our contract does not allow any restrictions between aircraft types and it will likely stay that way. If we choose to give the company a license to run our lives even more by telling us where and when we can bid than shame on us for being played once again
 
Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 AM
  #2250  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Posts: 95
Default

Originally Posted by N19906 View Post
Um, just me, but I'd expect bases and equipment to be fenced. Probably for between three to five years. This is just off of past mergers. If the company agrees to anything less, their costs, (retraining), go through the roof.
We'll all stay in our own little igloos for a while...
There hasn't been a narrowbody fence in any of the recent mergers. Management and pilots have no say..Only opinions. The arbitrators will decide on fences. And if they use the precedence set there will be none.
plt32173 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 06:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 02:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 09:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 01:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 07:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices