Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 02-09-2024, 01:21 PM
  #7751  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2022
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by flysnoopy76 View Post
If American, United, and Delta continue with their reduced but still historically large hiring numbers I donít see Alaskaís retention of pilots staying where it is now. Alaska is stopping hiring, captain downgrades are likely, and although I havenít heard the furlough word mentioned yet, those typically will come with downgrades. If the three large airlines continue hiring, Iím not sure the current environment at Alaska will be very appealing to those who are sitting on reserve for a couple years with no end in sight.
Hopefully hiring at those airlines will result in enough attrition that any potential staffing changes in the form of downgrades and furloughs are mitigated.
Weíre no where near that much doom & gloomÖdid you not see the email from DM today? Yes, more ILís for April, but then they are planning all hands on deck for a busy summerÖ
FreqFlyer is offline  
Old 02-09-2024, 01:26 PM
  #7752  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2015
Posts: 983
Default

Originally Posted by 907ANC View Post
Maybe this is a question for the PBS trainers but I'll ask here because others may have the same questions. I've worked my way through most of the PBS training materials and have 2 main questions:

1. The denominator of the 50% and 70% numbers for unstacking, are those for just the line holders or all pilots in the base?
2. Can anyone explain in over simplified terms what happens with the unstack? Does it totally ignore all preferences? What is the impact?

TIA.
unstacking is the bogeyman, the John Wick of PBS. If you are in the bottom 50% of your seat and base, John Wick will build your schedule and you will do nothing because can do nothing.

if you put enough ďelse next bidĒ and are not lazy, untacking is no different than step trading, except PBS is a week faster.
PNWFlyer is offline  
Old 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
  #7753  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 1,170
Default

Originally Posted by flysnoopy76 View Post
If American, United, and Delta continue with their reduced but still historically large hiring numbers I donít see Alaskaís retention of pilots staying where it is now. Alaska is stopping hiring, captain downgrades are likely, and although I havenít heard the furlough word mentioned yet, those typically will come with downgrades. If the three large airlines continue hiring, Iím not sure the current environment at Alaska will be very appealing to those who are sitting on reserve for a couple years with no end in sight.
Hopefully hiring at those airlines will result in enough attrition that any potential staffing changes in the form of downgrades and furloughs are mitigated.
If AS furloughs and there has been zero thought given to that currently, you canít even imagine what happens at the big three in that scenario. This is a cyclical industry, a few years ago FedEx was the penthouse, right now probably UAÖ but if this economy tanks, as good as 2023 looked at the big 3Ö well the inverse is also true. I do think consolidation and retirements mute any serious decay over the next 24 months but I expect every airline to take a hiring pause over the next few months. AS traditional does very well in a downturn, this time I would expect to be no different, we do have a lot on our plate right now though. I expect 2024 and 2025 to suck everywhere. Get to where you want to be, the music is about to stop for a couple of years.
Laugh it off, go back and look at what people were saying in 2000 at UAL. 😱
OTZeagle1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2024, 01:38 PM
  #7754  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,236
Default

Originally Posted by OTZeagle1 View Post
I expect 2024 and 2025 to suck everywhere. Get to where you want to be, the music is about to stop for a couple of years.
Retirement math doesn't support that, for the big guys. Slowing is not stopping, they are still hiring a lot by historical standards and if you want/need a job and don't work for one of their metered regionals your odds are still good.

Music at AS may well have stopped for a year or two.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 02-09-2024, 01:42 PM
  #7755  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 1,170
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Retirement math doesn't support that, for the big guys. Slowing is not stopping, they are still hiring a lot by historical standards and if you want/need a job and don't work for one of their metered regionals your odds are still good.

Music at AS may well have stopped for a year or two.
Itís about to stop everywhere!
OTZeagle1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2024, 01:44 PM
  #7756  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2022
Posts: 521
Default

Originally Posted by OTZeagle1 View Post
If AS furloughs and there has been zero thought given to that currently, you canít even imagine what happens at the big three in that scenario. This is a cyclical industry, a few years ago FedEx was the penthouse, right now probably UAÖ but if this economy tanks, as good as 2023 looked at the big 3Ö well the inverse is also true. I do think consolidation and retirements mute any serious decay over the next 24 months but I expect every airline to take a hiring pause over the next few months. AS traditional does very well in a downturn, this time I would expect to be no different, we do have a lot on our plate right now though. I expect 2024 and 2025 to suck everywhere. Get to where you want to be, the music is about to stop for a couple of years.
Laugh it off, go back and look at what people were saying in 2000 at UAL. 😱
I'm now up 65% on CLSK. 35% on MSTR. Looks like you called the 2024 bottom for BTC, when you panic sold. We just briefly hit 48,200. Can you make another BTC prediction please. I'll be taking inverse OTZ to the bank!

I'm really hoping you're in no way responsible for any financial matters where my employment seniority number happens to reside.
GoodJet is offline  
Old 02-09-2024, 01:46 PM
  #7757  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Turbosina's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Guppy Gear Slinger
Posts: 1,849
Default

Originally Posted by 907ANC View Post
There will not be any new hire classes until Q4.
Ten minutes after I read your post, I got an email (presumably sent to the entire CJO pool of candidates) confirming exactly this....
Turbosina is offline  
Old 02-09-2024, 02:50 PM
  #7758  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 461
Default

Originally Posted by FreqFlyer View Post
Weíre no where near that much doom & gloomÖdid you not see the email from DM today? Yes, more ILís for April, but then they are planning all hands on deck for a busy summerÖ
just info the Union and Company has put out already, hiring is done for most of the year at least, downgrades were prevented at this point by the EILs, but if things are as bleak as has been posted here on this forum, they will certainly be on the table going forward, and like I said typically downgrades are accompanied by furloughs, although those have not been mentioned by the company or union to my knowledge.
flysnoopy76 is online now  
Old 02-09-2024, 03:45 PM
  #7759  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 1,170
Default

Originally Posted by GoodJet View Post
I'm now up 65% on CLSK. 35% on MSTR. Looks like you called the 2024 bottom for BTC, when you panic sold. We just briefly hit 48,200. Can you make another BTC prediction please. I'll be taking inverse OTZ to the bank!

I'm really hoping you're in no way responsible for any financial matters where my employment seniority number happens to reside.
The first shoe dropped todayÖ EXPE

I made 4x on BTC and didnít feel like riding it back to 20k
I sold at 43Ö there is no way that 43 is the bottom for 2024.
Im sincerely happy for your returns, maybe Iíll be wrong. I didnít have 40k of BTC though, it was more than 5,000k.

BTC will drop 7% next week and be down 18% by the end of February 🤷‍♂️Ö thatís my best guess
OTZeagle1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2024, 04:13 PM
  #7760  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2022
Posts: 521
Default

Originally Posted by OTZeagle1 View Post
The first shoe dropped todayÖ EXPE

I made 4x on BTC and didnít feel like riding it back to 20k
I sold at 43Ö there is no way that 43 is the bottom for 2024.
Im sincerely happy for your returns, maybe Iíll be wrong. I didnít have 40k of BTC though, it was more than 5,000k.

BTC will drop 7% next week and be down 18% by the end of February 🤷‍♂️Ö thatís my best guess
Amazing! Thank you.

Great staffing predictions as well. DM just announced no IL offered for May.

Inverse OTZ, even better than inverse Cramer?
GoodJet is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 05:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 01:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 08:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 12:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 06:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices