Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 AM
  #5501  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captainv's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot
Posts: 943
Default

Originally Posted by Skudrunning View Post
great response Captainv. That has me thinking real hard about Atlas.
Good luck to you. My advice though is to make sure you're okay with the worst possible scenario if you came to Atlas. I'm lucky in that my airplane doesn't always have full 17-day patterns and none of my trips start in base, so i don't have to commute on off days. (although, again, in the 121 world i was giving up off days to commute every week vs. a couple a month) I know one 747 captain who bid down to 767 captain because he lived in Florida and got pushed into ANC 747 CA and was giving up lots of time to the commute. With all the growth right now, i think any such situation would be short-lived. the MSP-TOL-CVG-TOL-MSP run on the 767 in CVG would get old, but for me the positives far outweigh the negatives. it's not all rainbows and unicorns here, it's an airline and i see lots of room for improvement in some areas, but all in all, i'm thrilled to be here.
captainv is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM
  #5502  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: Babysitter
Posts: 975
Default

Captain V great post.....of course you have to miss downtown Covington with Frasier......good times....
WARich is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 PM
  #5503  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA
Posts: 4,772
Default

Originally Posted by captainv View Post
Well, for me anyway:
- i was trapped at a dying regional and managed to escape a year before the ship went down.
- first year at Atlas, including 4 months of meager training pay, paid more than I ever made at the regionals, except the one year I was a captain for 8 months, and that wasn't far off
- i have more time at home at Atlas than I ever did at the regionals. it's almost silly.
- even when i'm working, I fly on average @ 40 hours a month and have lots more time to enjoy my layovers, and of course one leg is a huge QOL improvement over 4-5 legs a day
- when i flew corporate, i loved wondering where i might be headed next whenever the phone rang, but hated not ever having hard days off. at the regionals, i liked having a schedule, but after a while it was the same old, same old. this is the best of both worlds.
- being gone 17 days (rare for me, so far) can wear on the wife and kids, but when i'm home, i'm a lot more plugged in than when i did the 4 on/3 off 121 schedule.
- the no-stress commute is HUGE to me, easily my biggest source of stress in the 121 world. buddy of mine has been at DAL for 13 years, also on the 767 in JFK. he's still sweating the commute every week. can't hold Europe anymore. Does mostly transcons or Africa. Caribbean when he's lucky.


don't get me wrong, i know the majors would pay me a lot more, (hopefully). I know their bennies/retirement are way better than ours. but the idea of commuting on reserve doesn't exactly have me salivating. Nor does being junior forever living in base. my buddies keep telling me they'll retire 60 percent of their pilot group in 10 years. I hope they're right, but that's a best-case scenario and i see their management taking steps to, if not prevent it, at least degrade the job further. i like that that we can compete in a global sandbox, instead of just the US passenger market.

So far, it's a win/win for me. Lots of guys gave up $100k+ jobs as senior RJ captains to come here, too. I'd be curious to hear them chime in as well.
1st....I am not at Atlas....but another ACMI

however.... about 90% of what he stated above are my sentiments exactly.
HercDriver130 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM
  #5504  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: 767
Posts: 33
Default

Would agree that the MSP-TOL-CVG-TOL-MSP for a couple of weeks gets real old. I think we are going to see a lot more growth on the 76 side. We have 8 aircraft and the 2 ERF's coming online with 12 LCA's. They are adding 8 more LCA's and its hard to believe that we need that many more Check Airmen for only 2 additional aircraft.
S1tpilot is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
  #5505  
Gets Weekends Off
 
worldfr8dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: Exploring the world, oh yeah and I fly big planes!
Posts: 140
Default

If I could summarize into one word why Atlas was the choice for me, ADVENTURE would be it. I loved the airplane that I flew for the regional I flew for, the route I flew was up and down the west coast, about as easy as flying gets but that didn't allow me the opportunity to eat Tom Kha Gai with a side of fresh mango juice in Bangkok, fresh sushi in Narita, biltong in J-burg, drink pica pica in Peru, eat Kangaroo in Australia.... (yes, I like to eat and drink as you can see). With Atlas, I will get a chance to do that and more while not having that scheduled rush-rush thing going on. (Disclaimer, Atlas is diversified in what it does and scheduled services are one of the many things they do therefore the rush-rush does exist at Atlas). What I most value in work-life can best be achieved at Atlas.
worldfr8dog is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
  #5506  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Tanker-driver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Posts: 295
Default

Originally Posted by captainv View Post
and none of my trips start in base, so i don't have to commute on off days.
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the commute was on days off regardless. So you are saying that if the trip does not start in base, you commute during your 17 on? Apologies if this was previously discussed.
Tanker-driver is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
  #5507  
Line Holder
 
OSAVIP's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: At the handlebars
Posts: 95
Default

Originally Posted by Tanker-driver View Post
Hmmm, I was under the impression that the commute was on days off regardless. So you are saying that if the trip does not start in base, you commute during your 17 on? Apologies if this was previously discussed.
If your first operating leg starts at your base on day 1 of your pattern, you're commuting on your day off. If your first op leg starts away from base, your schedule must show a deadhead from your base to get there. But you'll just go from home to the starting location, never touching base--commute on a work day while the CRT clock is ticking. That's nice.
OSAVIP is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 PM
  #5508  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Talon1011's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Ex USAF, ex-ATA , currently Atlas Air 747 CA
Posts: 324
Default

Originally Posted by OSAVIP View Post
If your first operating leg starts at your base on day 1 of your pattern, you're commuting on your day off. If your first op leg starts away from base, your schedule must show a deadhead from your base to get there. But you'll just go from home to the starting location, never touching base--commute on a work day while the CRT clock is ticking. That's nice.
The above may or may not hold true depending on where you live. I live in the hinterlands of Northwestern Montana and quite often I travel on a day off just to have enough rest before starting a pairing no matter where it begins. I'm not complaining. It's well worth it to work here. I'm just pointing out that if what day someone begins work is more important than the flying they do and the adventure of this business then I can already see dark clouds on the horizon for them.
Talon1011 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 PM
  #5509  
Gets Weekends Off
 
akaviator's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Sedan driver
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by worldfr8dog View Post
If I could summarize into one word why Atlas was the choice for me, ADVENTURE would be it. I loved the airplane that I flew for the regional I flew for, the route I flew was up and down the west coast, about as easy as flying gets but that didn't allow me the opportunity to eat Tom Kha Gai with a side of fresh mango juice in Bangkok, fresh sushi in Narita, biltong in J-burg, drink pica pica in Peru, eat Kangaroo in Australia.... (yes, I like to eat and drink as you can see). With Atlas, I will get a chance to do that and more while not having that scheduled rush-rush thing going on. (Disclaimer, Atlas is diversified in what it does and scheduled services are one of the many things they do therefore the rush-rush does exist at Atlas). What I most value in work-life can best be achieved at Atlas.
That's what I'm talking about!
akaviator is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 PM
  #5510  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: Flying a desk, for good.
Posts: 208
Default

Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
That's what I'm talking about!
yup.
scubabri is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
astropilot92571
Hiring News
6
05-15-2024 01:03 PM
AAL763
Atlas/Polar
112
12-10-2016 04:13 PM
ProceedOnCourse
Hiring News
23
08-16-2009 06:40 PM
cencal83406
Regional
17
02-03-2009 07:19 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices