Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SaltyDog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal
Posts: 1,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Another consideration. How long to retirement. Based on my age I will never see the Max FO pay at UPS or FedEx, much less the max CA pay. At another carrier, yes. At someplace like Kalitta I have a chance of making CA pay in the next 10 years. As much as the max CA pay at FedEx or UPS? Nope. But probably more than I would make there as an FO.
Also, I think Kalitta domestic DH is 50%, but international is 100%:
In present market and retirement rates, today's new hires at FedEx or UPS will be Captain at 10 years if they choose. Don't discount these two contracts additional DCP and DBP compensation which is not insignificant plus higher monthly guarantee hours.
Cant accurately foretell the future at any place though.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #12  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
In present market and retirement rates, today's new hires at FedEx or UPS will be Captain at 10 years if they choose. Don't discount these two contracts additional DCP and DBP compensation which is not insignificant plus higher monthly guarantee hours.
Cant accurately foretell the future at any place though.
My current window is just under 10 years. None of the majors or UPS/FedEx will touch me as I’ve been in the same seat too long and am deemed “untrainable”. Also my GPA from college was less than a 3.0 (double major, drilling with the Guard, well known tough school). So I would have to go somewhere else first to be trained and “prove myself”. By the time I am trained elsewhere, get an interview date, maybe a successful interview, put in the pool, get a class date... I’m down to maybe 8 years. With compressed time the advantages diminish.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 AM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky jet View Post
Nope, 50%
Just read that. I was told wrong.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SaltyDog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal
Posts: 1,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
My current window is just under 10 years. None of the majors or UPS/FedEx will touch me as I’ve been in the same seat too long and am deemed “untrainable”. Also my GPA from college was less than a 3.0 (double major, drilling with the Guard, well known tough school). So I would have to go somewhere else first to be trained and “prove myself”. By the time I am trained elsewhere, get an interview date, maybe a successful interview, put in the pool, get a class date... I’m down to maybe 8 years. With compressed time the advantages diminish.
Seems everyone does want a fresh type rating from current employer to demonstrate "trainability" :/
Instructor or LCA carries weight in HR as well.
Best of fortunes
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Posts: 126
Default Thinking about Cargo? - A Contract Comparison

I know this is probably a ridiculous question but I’m going to ask it anyways. I’ve been with one regional so far so I know how it works on my side but not at other airlines. When looking at the compensation charts, would a 15 year FO upgrading to captain receive 15 year CA pay? Or is this what DOS+(whatever) is intended for?

Excellent post by the way! Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Av8er1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: 747 Left Seat
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er1550 View Post
I know this is probably a ridiculous question but I’m going to ask it anyways. I’ve been with one regional so far so I know how it works on my side but not at other airlines. When looking at the compensation charts, would a 15 year FO upgrading to captain receive 15 year CA pay? Or is this what DOS+(whatever) is intended for?

Excellent post by the way! Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, a 15 year FO would be paid as a 15 year captain when he upgrades with the exception being a few foreign carriers. Also DOS is date of signing of the contract. So say the contract is signed on Jan 1st, but you were hired Jun before the signing. You get your yearly raise in Jun, and you get an additional raise the next Jan 1st because the pay scale will be DOS+1.

Clear as mud?
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yes, a 15 year FO would be paid as a 15 year captain when he upgrades with the exception being a few foreign carriers. Also DOS is date of signing of the contract. So say the contract is signed on Jan 1st, but you were hired Jun before the signing. You get your yearly raise in Jun, and you get an additional raise the next Jan 1st because the pay scale will be DOS+1.



Clear as mud?


Got it! Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Av8er1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,769
Default

Blackhawk, you'd do very well to come to K4, if you can handle the 16 days on the road.
No Land 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #19  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
Blackhawk, you'd do very well to come to K4, if you can handle the 16 days on the road.
I agree. I’m on my way.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #20  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Whale, left side
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundt View Post
Make an informed decision and know what you’re getting into.

https://www.pilotcontracts.org/
I swear I’m not trying to be a jerk. But you misspelled “knowledge” on the web page.
shroomwell is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cargo Flying Jobs lwaddle Hiring News 24 04-15-2018 02:22 PM
Threat of unmanned aviation in cargo... fenix1 Cargo 123 03-26-2018 02:16 PM
Threat of unmanned aviation in cargo... fenix1 Cargo 22 02-10-2018 06:05 PM
Re: RAH Quagmire Major 253 04-16-2011 06:19 AM
Alaska- For Pilots and Mechanics and those interested Kilgore Trout Part 135 46 06-19-2009 03:35 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:34 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1