Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Rightseater73's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: B737 Right
Posts: 18
Lightbulb Xtra rumors of hiring

Rumors running another 36 st outfit Xtra is coming back to life. Any details?
Rightseater73 is offline  
Old 11-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
mexipilot84's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightseater73 View Post
Rumors running another 36 st outfit Xtra is coming back to life. Any details?

Xtra never really went away. They moved their HQ to Houston and had one -400 running around for a while trying to re-launch
mexipilot84 is offline  
Old 11-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Dixie320's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2019
Posts: 149
Default

They were at the online FAPA job fair last week.

I don’t what was said, but I had the opportunity to talk with one of the founders two years ago. They acquired the Xtra Airways operating certificate and plan on “being the next Southwest.” All 737 fleet, use a lot of technology, point to point flying, low prices.

Andrew Levy is heading the company (former United CFO and cofounder of Allegiant). A former Southwest and jetBlue exec is also onboard.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-02-12/former-united-cfo-raises-125-million-for-startup-airline%3f_amp=true

They actually plan on being headquartered in Houston, not 36th St. but with Breeze launching soon and the travel industry depressed, it’ll be interesting to see how many startups will make it in the near future.
Dixie320 is offline  
Old 11-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hoover's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: cpt 737
Posts: 970
Default

They have guys in training right now.
hoover is offline  
Old 11-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
MNPS 50N50W's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2010
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightseater73 View Post
Rumors running another 36 st outfit Xtra is coming back to life. Any details?
That's what a lot of the Xtra Pilots that ended up with Swift Air was waiting for. With the miserable job situation at Swift, expect a bunch of people to leave for Xtra when it gets going.
MNPS 50N50W is offline  
Old 11-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #6  
Line Holder
 
IFly86N's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Ex-B756 Right and staying west of Gander for a while.
Posts: 49
Default Xtra Airways revives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNPS 50N50W View Post
That's what a lot of the Xtra Pilots that ended up with Swift Air was waiting for. With the miserable job situation at Swift, expect a bunch of people to leave for Xtra when it gets going.
As a former CA at Xtra Airways (up to the shutdown in June 2018), it was a great company and treated everyone well. The pay was below airline standards for a B737, but you didn't worry about starving.

I wish Xtra 2.0 all my best, but I see a another ACMI train wreck being built up.
IFly86N is offline  
Old 11-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hoover's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: cpt 737
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFly86N View Post
As a former CA at Xtra Airways (up to the shutdown in June 2018), it was a great company and treated everyone well. The pay was below airline standards for a B737, but you didn't worry about starving.

I wish Xtra 2.0 all my best, but I see a another ACMI train wreck being built up.
its not going to be an ACMI they're selling their own tickets.
hoover is offline  
Old 12-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #8  
Line Holder
 
ChopperHopper's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: B777 Captain
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover View Post
its not going to be an ACMI they're selling their own tickets.
XTRA is not a 36th street outfit and is not a dedicated Charter operator. It's a scheduled domestic B737-800 operator. I was on the FAPA meeting a few days ago, and they seem to have a pretty solid Leadership Group, investors, financing and a pretty standard ULCC business plan. They're changing their name and a complete re-branding to come soon. Xtra and Breeze definitely got my attention. Some good news in 2020.
ChopperHopper is offline  
Old 12-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #9  
Gets Mon-Sun Off
 
TransWorld's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Up Front
Posts: 2,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperHopper View Post
XTRA is not a 36th street outfit and is not a dedicated Charter operator. It's a scheduled domestic B737-800 operator. I was on the FAPA meeting a few days ago, and they seem to have a pretty solid Leadership Group, investors, financing and a pretty standard ULCC business plan. They're changing their name and a complete re-branding to come soon. Xtra and Breeze definitely got my attention. Some good news in 2020.
Any words or thinking they are going to be hiring in 2021?
TransWorld is offline  
Old 12-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hoover's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: cpt 737
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransWorld View Post
Any words or thinking they are going to be hiring in 2021?
they are hiring right now
hoover is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta? Guard Dude Delta 199906 Yesterday 08:58 PM
Atlas Air Hiring 1st Supersonic Hiring News 17734 09-13-2020 08:41 AM
Mountain Air Cargo cruiseclimb Cargo 35 02-26-2017 04:58 AM
Combined 2011 Hiring Info lolwut Major 24 12-01-2010 04:21 AM
Any new FDX hiring rumors? GBU-24 Cargo 6 02-14-2007 07:11 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:50 AM.