Notices
Compass Airlines Regional Airline

Mesaba / Compass FLOWBACK

Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 AM
  #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 175 CA
Posts: 114
Default Mesaba / Compass FLOWBACK

Read the latest SEC filing (8-K) at http://ir.nwa.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=11...dHRhY2g9T04%3d

and search the word "regional".

You will come across a slide that talks about capacity reductions and you will read, "Resulting headcount reductions will be achieved through voluntary separation programs and furloughs if necessary."

Can you say FLOWBACK to Mesaba (in very limited numbers) and to Compass.

I don't know about XJ, but CP is having a hard time recruiting pilots at this point in time and I surely can't rid my thoughts of the fact that a flowback could staff the CPS planes at a good labor cost (in managment's view).

Our Union at CPS hasn't said Jack to us about the merger or our future. What have they been saying at XJ?

DISCUSS!
aircraftdriver is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 AM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
Default

I did what you said and searched "Regionals".

I find it confusing when it talked about regional capacity being +50% to -55%. It's just too much to get my brain around.

Our Flowback is limited to about 15 slots so I think we will be OK unless they do something drastic, which is possible. I certainly hope that they don't flush 90% of your list to the street.

It's so hard to know what the wizards are doing behind the curtain. I mean Delta and Northwest post losses greater than 13 Billion dollars and none of the financial markets say that much, because it's all on paper and they got to write off the bankruptcies.

CRJ200's are the most inefficient aircraft ever made, but we have no idea what they are using as a bench mark. Compared to a DC-3 I'd say the 200 does a pretty good job. Against a 777 not so much. But how many 777's go to Cedar Rapids?

I do know that even though I can fly anywhere I want for free, but can never go because the planes are full. I also realize that the tickets being used now were purchased 3+ months ago. The fall will really be the indicator.

I happen to think that raising the prices is the right thing. There was never a reason for the bus or cars to be more expensive than flying.


Good Luck my Compass brothers!
xj200capt is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 AM
  #3  
Line Holder
 
jumperdumper's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: DHC-6, BE90, C421 Left Seat
Posts: 69
Default

I have an upcoming interview with compass, and with this news it doesn't really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. What would the likely number of flowbacks be? Will they move to the bottom of the seniority list etc??
jumperdumper is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 AM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Avroman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: FIRE ALPA
Posts: 3,077
Default

Flowbacks are a nonissue at Mesaba as only about 12 or 14 spots are available to flow into. Not enough to likely bother with any kind of displacements.
Avroman is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 AM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 401
Default

Put all your trust in ALPA, they always look out for your best interest.
Pilot41 is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 06:23 AM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 401
Default

Originally Posted by jumperdumper View Post
Will they move to the bottom of the seniority list etc??
Now thats funny....
Pilot41 is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 AM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: SAABster
Posts: 639
Default

Originally Posted by xj200capt View Post
I did what you said and searched "Regionals".

I find it confusing when it talked about regional capacity being +50% to -55%. It's just too much to get my brain around.

Our Flowback is limited to about 15 slots so I think we will be OK unless they do something drastic, which is possible. I certainly hope that they don't flush 90% of your list to the street.

It's so hard to know what the wizards are doing behind the curtain. I mean Delta and Northwest post losses greater than 13 Billion dollars and none of the financial markets say that much, because it's all on paper and they got to write off the bankruptcies.

CRJ200's are the most inefficient aircraft ever made, but we have no idea what they are using as a bench mark. Compared to a DC-3 I'd say the 200 does a pretty good job. Against a 777 not so much. But how many 777's go to Cedar Rapids?

I do know that even though I can fly anywhere I want for free, but can never go because the planes are full. I also realize that the tickets being used now were purchased 3+ months ago. The fall will really be the indicator.

I happen to think that raising the prices is the right thing. There was never a reason for the bus or cars to be more expensive than flying.


Good Luck my Compass brothers!

I think everyone here is reading that slide wrong. (Click link below to view slide)

That's a Regional INCREASE of 50% to 55%!!
That's good !!

Last edited by XJPILOT1; 06-18-2008 at 06:49 AM.
XJPILOT1 is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 07:09 AM
  #8  
Saab Saab Phooey!
 
LoudFastRules's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Set Hundo
Posts: 479
Default

Yup, in the slide, the "-" is not a minus sign, it's just a dash.
LoudFastRules is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 AM
  #9  
Line Holder
 
Invisible Man's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Posts: 75
Default

Originally Posted by XJPILOT1 View Post
I think everyone here is reading that slide wrong. (Click link below to view slide)


That's a Regional INCREASE of 50% to 55%!!

That's good !!
How do you figure that is a good thing?
IM
Invisible Man is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 AM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Squawk_5543's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Lav
Posts: 992
Default

Quote from NWA Capacity Cuts Article.......

...." But it said regional flying would rise by as much as 55 percent as it adds new 76-seat jets. Chief Financial Officer Dave Davis said the smaller jets cost about 30 percent less to operate because of lower labor and fuel expenses, even after making the debt payments.".........

I find it funny that being paid absolute crap is actually becoming an advantage nowadays.
Squawk_5543 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ranger3484
Regional
11
05-08-2008 03:08 PM
HercDriver130
Regional
14
11-08-2007 11:02 AM
FlyerJosh
Regional
7
08-02-2007 11:30 AM
Lbell911
Regional
10
07-06-2007 04:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices