Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 24
Default CFI study buddy SoCal?

Is anyone here in Southern California training to be a CFI and need a study buddy? Iím really struggling to get this done by myself. Iím drowning in it and feel stuck. I have no one to bounce ideas off of.

Iím in Fallbrook, San Diego county.
Knudiee is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2011
Posts: 112
Default

I'm up in LA, so probably a little too far away. But just wanted to let you know you're not the only one feeling overwhelmed. I work full time and I'm trying to do my CFI on the side and it is brutal.


Best of luck!
kaputt is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #3  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
Default

Im in North Los Angeles (near the fires!), checkride scheduled for Dec 1 for the CFII and 23rd of December for the CFI-A, I was told its MUCH easier to do it that way. What part are you getting hung up on?
Never2Late is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #4  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
I'm up in LA, so probably a little too far away. But just wanted to let you know you're not the only one feeling overwhelmed. I work full time and I'm trying to do my CFI on the side and it is brutal.


Best of luck!
Yeah a bit too far, bummer! Thanks for the kind words! Best of luck to you as well.
Knudiee is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #5  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2Late View Post
Im in North Los Angeles (near the fires!), checkride scheduled for Dec 1 for the CFII and 23rd of December for the CFI-A, I was told its MUCH easier to do it that way. What part are you getting hung up on?
Sorry, I just saw your reply.
Nice! Stay safe!
I guess just the learning how to teach is the hardest for me. I donít know what to expect on the ride, I wouldnít be able to teach any lessons verbatim. I heard some examiners just want you to ďteach without reference to your plansĒ Iíve also heard some allow you to ďreferenceĒ them. I donít know at all.

Did you make your own lesson plans, or did you purchase them?
Knudiee is offline  
Old 11-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #6  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: CFII/MEI...
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knudiee View Post
Sorry, I just saw your reply.
Nice! Stay safe!
I guess just the learning how to teach is the hardest for me. I donít know what to expect on the ride, I wouldnít be able to teach any lessons verbatim. I heard some examiners just want you to ďteach without reference to your plansĒ Iíve also heard some allow you to ďreferenceĒ them. I donít know at all.

Did you make your own lesson plans, or did you purchase them?
There is not an examiner out there who expects a CFI candidate to teach verbatim without reference to your training aids. The examiners I have been evaluated by (FSDO and DPE) are evaluating your ability explain the scenarios given. Everything is free to use.

With that said, if the candidate can't explain a point/lesson in general terms without reading it word for word out of a book. Then the day will likely end shortly with a pink slip.

Don't worry about trying to be a certain "type" of person for your check ride. Just be yourself and relay the information you know in a logical manner and you'll be on your way to the flying portion.

Good luck and have fun with it.
tnalkire is offline  
Old 11-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #7  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knudiee View Post
Sorry, I just saw your reply.
Nice! Stay safe!
I guess just the learning how to teach is the hardest for me. I donít know what to expect on the ride, I wouldnít be able to teach any lessons verbatim. I heard some examiners just want you to ďteach without reference to your plansĒ Iíve also heard some allow you to ďreferenceĒ them. I donít know at all.

Did you make your own lesson plans, or did you purchase them?
I purchased them, I am going thru a small Part 61 school and they recommended the ones to purchase. they have put thru like 5 CFI students in the last year and all have passed so they are kind of just repeating the same steps (including using the same DPE). I hope I'm not the first one to get the pink slip! My test has been delayed a few times so I FEEL ready however totally concerned that I am "ready" by learning the wrong stuff and I get in there and the first question he asks, I have no idea about!

I have been told that you dont need to memorize much and it is essentially an open "lesson plan" oral but the more you have memorized, the easier it will be. Since my test is next Saturday, I have a lot of time with my instructor scheduled for Sun, Mon, and Tues of this week. After that, I hope I am really comfortable but we havent reviewed ground in awhile so tomorrow will tell me if I am going to be locking myself into my house for Wed, Thurs, and Fri reviewing!

When is your checkride scheduled for?
Never2Late is offline  
Old 11-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #8  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2Late View Post
I purchased them, I am going thru a small Part 61 school and they recommended the ones to purchase. they have put thru like 5 CFI students in the last year and all have passed so they are kind of just repeating the same steps (including using the same DPE). I hope I'm not the first one to get the pink slip! My test has been delayed a few times so I FEEL ready however totally concerned that I am "ready" by learning the wrong stuff and I get in there and the first question he asks, I have no idea about!

I have been told that you dont need to memorize much and it is essentially an open "lesson plan" oral but the more you have memorized, the easier it will be. Since my test is next Saturday, I have a lot of time with my instructor scheduled for Sun, Mon, and Tues of this week. After that, I hope I am really comfortable but we havent reviewed ground in awhile so tomorrow will tell me if I am going to be locking myself into my house for Wed, Thurs, and Fri reviewing!

When is your checkride scheduled for?
Thanks for telling me all that, thatís good to know! Iíve heard that too, but you know... fear of the unknown. My ride isnít scheduled yet, Iím not even close to feeling comfortable with the information. Do you have any memorization tips or anything like that? Any trippy questions in the oral that youíve heard about?

And if I donít hear from you before then, good luck!
Knudiee is offline  
Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 AM   #9  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
Default

I met with my instructor yesterday, I feel PRETTY good, he kind of did a mock oral (he was one of the ones that passed in the last year). There is some stuff I need to brush up on but that is why we did what we did. Today we are flying to make sure I am good there. I am happy to share my experience with you after the fact, I dont want to give you bad info or the wrong stuff to study before the fact. I'll keep you posted.
Never2Late is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #10  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2Late View Post
I met with my instructor yesterday, I feel PRETTY good, he kind of did a mock oral (he was one of the ones that passed in the last year). There is some stuff I need to brush up on but that is why we did what we did. Today we are flying to make sure I am good there. I am happy to share my experience with you after the fact, I dont want to give you bad info or the wrong stuff to study before the fact. I'll keep you posted.
Good luck on your checkride! Iím currently working on mine in Camarillo. Where are you doing yours at? Do you know who your examiner is?
chrispilotcole is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CFII addon senior CFI? sellener Flight Schools and Training 5 08-25-2015 12:57 PM
Reg change for logging PIC while with a CFI? Bellanca Flight Schools and Training 32 02-26-2011 02:18 PM
Spin Training jsfBoat Flight Schools and Training 27 11-09-2007 01:06 AM
Expired CFI Certificate cons Flight Schools and Training 8 03-27-2007 07:09 PM
CFI opportunities in Seattle, Socal MEMpilot Flight Schools and Training 7 03-22-2007 05:06 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:10 PM.